• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Featured girls in guy's garb

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by herringbonekid, Jan 3, 2006.

1. i'm not sure you should take any blame for current male behavioural patterns. i think men restrict their own behaviour. yes, many are confused and stuck in the rut of wondering 'what women want' ... but don't forget that most macho behaviour is for the benefit of other men.

2. At the risk of sounding simplistic....it's really too bad that we can't all just be ourselves. We waste so much energy trying to convince others that we are exactly as they want us to be.

3. The truest words I've heard in a while. Thanks, Olive! :eusa_clap

4. You could get away with a lot more in the 20s than you could in the 30s, and after WW2, you basically couldn't get away with anything.

By 1951, Robert Walker, as Bruno in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, created the impression of a spoiled, effeminate, amoral mama's boy by dressing pretty much as a prewar show business type might have done - interestingly striped suit, picture tie (there's even some business concerning his monogrammed tiebar), pinned round collar, and oh my gosh, spectator shoes! Not "sissy" objectively – but definitely dandyish, hedonistic, and out of uniform amid the gray flannel army.

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

this is me, a gal, in guy's garb(western garb)I had this taken as a present for my Dad a few years before he died. He was a huge fan of Westerns.

Sorry the picture is not very focused. This copy is actually the proof, so it was tiny.

6. A gal in guy's garb, 1928-style:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Louise Brookes is hot. when i first saw 'Pandora's Box' i couldn't believe how sexy she was. so photogenic and flirtatious with the camera.

8. Tomboyishness is a turn off. I keep on walking.

9. mmm...I admit there are certain moments where a woman dressed partly in manscloth can be both stimulating and charming. While women wearing ties are just yrrrrgggggg:eek: :eek: :eek:

10. This is one of my favorite pictures of my grandmother, Dorothea (who, along with my grandfather who played clarinet & sax in big bands, inspired my love of 30s & 40s attire, music, decor & films). I named my business after her. This was taken in a photo booth likely in the 30s. There are a few more of her with the friend she was out with that day, though her friend is dressed more "traditionally"....wonderful pictures.

[​IMG]

Ang

11. Spitfire wouldn't go for her. ;)

12. ShrinkingViolet

ShrinkingViolet A-List Customer

Taken from the "Comments you get when you dress vintage" thread in the Powder Room ...

13. donCarlos

donCarlos Practically Family

Don´t forget Marlene Dietrich :) (I remembered this photo immediately after reading the headline)

[​IMG]

14. Miss 1929

Miss 1929 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Victor/Victoria

was an amusing film, and amazingly, Julie Andrews ALMOST becomes sexy when you put her in drag. Not sexy enough to be believeable...

But the film it is based on, "First a Girl" with Jessie Matthews, 1935, is SO MUCH BETTER in every way. Especially the tailoring! Do check it out! It's funny too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPvuW9RWkLQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPvuW9RWkLQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. cherry lips

cherry lips Call Me a Cab

Ooo I've just stumbled upon this wonderful thread!
    One of my favorite directors is Dorothy Arzner http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002188/
    She made movies in the 20s to early 40s with strong leading ladies, and some of them were her lovers. I recommend them all, my favorites so far include The Wild Party, Dance Girl Dance and Christopher Strong.

Here she is (on the left) with Joan Crawford
    [​IMG]

Joan again
    [​IMG]

Two more of her leading ladies:
    Clara Bow
    [​IMG]

Katherine Hepburn
    [​IMG]
    I especially love Kat in her pilot attire.

16. Male impersonator Vesta Tilley!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cherry lips

cherry lips Call Me a Cab

More inspiration to drool over:

[​IMG]
    Edie Beale 1951