Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love gloves.

Although I adore pretty cloth gloves, they are too slippery to drive in so I mostly wear kid ones, and go through them like crazy as they are fragile. I always wear them if the temperature is moderate to low, but can't bear them in hot weather.
Often I switch to the fabric ones before I get out of the car...
I do think they help with the germs - not only because you are not touching other people, but also you are much less likely to stick your finger in your mouth or eye when you have gloves on.
I really love white kid gloves but have never been able to clean them (following vintage directions!), so I mostly wear black or navy ones for everyday.
And no one ever comments on them except positively, but people in the Bay Area are very tolerant of peculiar dress.

katiekat

New in Town
Gloves, modern or vintage?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I have always enjoyed wearing gloves in public. However, I find it increasingly hard to find decent gloves in stores, and have to turn to the internet (which bothers me, because glove sizing, though standardized, is still different in small ways for each glove maker). Now, I have had a lot of luck finding gloves in antique shops, etc. but they all seem too fragile to wear. So for you glove wearing ladies, which do you do? Go ahead and find the few wearable vintage gloves, or go ahead and buy blindly online?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I admit that I don't wear gloves that often, but...

I have some vintage gloves, but most of them belonged to my mom. It seems that no one else wore a size 7 1/2 or 8 in the past except her. [huh]

I've bought a few old gloves on ebay, but I mostly buy new ones. They are not as nice as the older ones though.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know where you can purchase those U.V. cotton gloves? I've heard that Japanese women use them, while driving etc. I'm extremely fair and my hands look..well...crappy. That reminds me, the Santana winds are due here...UGH! my hands will crack for sure. :eusa_doh:

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Ah, yet another reason to wear gloves; to protect your hands from the sun.

Solumbra makes several types of gloves for just this reason. I don't recall any that looked like they would work for driving however.

BTW, someone was looking for string gloves or driving gloves and was having a hard time finding them. Hint: I look in the equestrian catalogs and sites for my gloves. I used to ride and drive, and go through both string and leather gloves fairly frequently but my hands didn't look like they were 40 years older than I was.:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Crisplock said:
Ah, yet another reason to wear gloves; to protect your hands from the sun.

Or as Miss Bella Hell suggested in another thread, keep some sunscreen in your car to use on your hands :)

Evelyn Ellenor

New in Town
Idledame said:
Gloves were mandatory for a well dressed lady in the 30's and 40's. Even in the early 50's when I grew up my mom would always wear gloves when she left the house, even if she was just going to Sears. Here is a site that carries vintage looking gloves:
http://www.greatglovesonline.com/
My mom had a number of cotton dress gloves in different color combos for different outfits. I have some of hers in brown with a lime green accent. They were a type of thick, tightly woven cotton that didn't unravel. There also were rules about how to properly put them on and take them off. I recall reading that one should never yank on the fingertips to remove a glove. And when putting them on you gently push the fingers of the gloves down each finger you don't just yank them from the cuff. They are a total pain, but look sharp. So do any of you complete your outfits with gloves?

Thank you so much for this link!!! I have been trying to find some Vintage style gloves for ages!

TracyB

New in Town
BakingInPearls said:
I have been on an eternal search for ladies mesh driving gloves. All the vintage ones I have found have been to small for my hands even though I don't have very big hands at all. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a good pair? Thanks for any help in advance!

Note: I tried google and the FL search and I couldn't find anything about them on here if I missed search please let me know.

Will these do for you?

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER01683 they are crochet back and pigskin palm. I love these and use them everyday for casual riding. They are not vintage, but most equestrian things are based on historical standard uses and do not have a specific era of style. For example when riding aside like I do, women would NEVER wear black gloves since it was a sign of mourning and ladies in mourning would not be out riding. We also carry a second pair of string gloves with us for if it starts raining we wear them over our leather gloves to assist with our grip on the reins. Wet leather trying to have a firm grip on wet leather does not go well together.

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Vintage Betty said:
1929 How to Measure Hand for Gloves

1929_glove_measurement.JPG

Helpful AND cool!!! ;)

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Does anyone wear gloves?

Remember the white gloves that were so common in the '40's, '50's and into the '60's. I though they are an elegant touch to an outfit and really put on that finishing touch to the look. I've wanted to wear them but wondered if in this day and age that would take the vintage look over the top to just strange. The other thing is I've looked at actual vintage gloves and they are always so small. Is there any place to still get them?:eusa_doh:

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I have two pairs of vintage gloves that I adore. But, alas, I'm only brave enough to wear them in winter. One pair is dark grey, and the other is kind of a rust. They were intended to be fairly dressy in their day, with the rust pair being long with little pearl buttons at each wrist.

I love them...and amazingly, they fit my big fat hands perfectly!

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of black suede leather gloves I've worn for years in the winter. They're not a padded glove so they look slender and smooth. I've always noticed ladies in past with gloves even in the summer and loved the look. I've never been able to find the simple cotton gloves I remember seeing.

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
Wearing gloves daily

I try to wear gloves everyday when I go out. I have several different styles, and length. I just love the different colors it comes in. One year at a vintage expo in S.F. I bought over $90 worth in gloves. I have gloves in the car, in my purse, in the diaper bag, in the closet, and in the drawers. I might have went overboard. I try to wear them daily. The gloves prevent my hands from being to windblown or tanned, and or dry.

My sons are getting older. They like trying to grab the glove off my hand, wear it, and wave. They don't understand that it is a ladies glove. My son Daniel asked me, "Where's his gloves?" I bought him 4 pairs of children's gloves and currently none match. He loves his gloves anyway.

Eventually, I will start have to sell the gloves that don't fit. [huh]

I try to wear vintage clothes, hat, shoes, other accessories, and gloves to complete the vintage look. To me the gloves are more important than the makeup.

Regards, LadyPowers

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Another glove etiquette mystery

Does anyone remember the bit in Little Women where Meg & Jo are getting kitted out for a dance and Meg is anxious that they won't be able to dance with anyone because they don't have 2 pairs of nice gloves? When did it stop being important to put gloves on to dance? I'm assuming that it was a matter of propriety, so you didn't have bare skin touching.

I have 3 pairs of my great grandmother's gloves - an opera length white kid pair, that are too small for me (unsurprisingly - I am 3 times the size she was) and 2 pairs of short black leather ones, that I live in for winter. I love the idea of short cotton gloves in summer, but I don't think I have the moxie to carry it off.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Has anyone ever crocheted a pair of gloves?

I once decided that I would try to make my own pair. That is until I looked at the pattern and was overcome with dread at the complexity and promptly gave the idea up.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'd love to try crocheting gloves... where did you find a pattern? I'm the type of girl who loves to bite off more than I can chew, I may only get halfway through one glove, but I'd still love to give it a shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran