Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin -- any input?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
3.5oz goat- didn't think it came that thick. It would clearly no longer be mid weight. I have a goat skin by Al that is 2.5-3oz and it's not much lighter or softer than FQHH.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
hmm, interesting... i'd like to hear more about that from rmconner80 & SpeedRacrX, since they both posted info. about LW goatskin jackets, a Raider & peacoat, in the same weight, i think... i read somewhere that it's lighter and more supple than hh, even in the thicker "heavyweight."

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
For comparison my peacoat is lighter than an Aero 1930 HB in FQHH and it's as supple as lambskin, no break time needed

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
All of my veg tanned goatskin jackets from Aero and the "historic" G&B Model 31 A-2 are thicker/heavier than the thinner chrome tanned G&B Expedition and my Cooper G-1. HOWEVER, the veg tanned goat is GREAT stuff - supple, fantastic grain, and virtually no break in needed.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It would be interesting to know which tannery provides the really fantastic veg tanned goatskin to Aero, G&B, LW, AL, etc., and if it is one specific tannery. The veg tanned goatskin for my two goatskin Aeros and the G&B "historic" Model 31 A-2 are so similar in texture, grain, flexibility, and thickness that the same tannery might well be involved.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that Stu at LW uses any veg-tanned leathers. He's a chrome-tanned guy.

I just looked at the LW website and appears that their goatskin is chrome tanned, a major plus in terms of water resistance, as opposed to veg tanned leather. I've never seen a LW goatskin jacket but understand it is great stuff. In fact the only LW jacket that I have ever seen is one of Wilbur's (oneterrifichog) when he invited me to visit his home when I was cruising my old hometown in E Tennessee not too long ago. Wilbur's LW looked like it would survive 100 years of abuse!

pak

One of the Regulars
Based only on the photo. LW's goat looks similar to the sample goat swatch Langlitz sent me.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Like much goat LW would probably be both chrome tanned and veg tanned. 3oz goat would defeat it's purpose. I have to say I prefer G&B goat to my Al goat - it's too heavy, has a very stiff hand and fades very fast, My favourite goat is that of Johnson leathers, soft, rich lustrous, light and thin.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought the point of goat was that it is a light, hard wearing skin - to me it's a summer weight hide.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I did some flip-flopping of my mental wish list, and now a russet goatskin Highwayman, with nickel hardware and red cotton drill lining is at the top.

pak

One of the Regulars
I like goat for it's lighter weight. A 4+ pound leather jacket is a deal killer for me, even if it is goat.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like goat for it's lighter weight. A 4+ pound leather jacket is a deal killer for me, even if it is goat.

Yep, and having looked at the weights of some period horse hide jackets (which are fairly light too) they tend weigh around 3 pounds 6-8 oz for a size 40 short jacket. Period horse was often only 2.25oz thick - today's medium weight horse. Looks to me like the German jackets were sometimes the heavier ones.

My Johnson Goat cafe racer size 44 weighs 3 pounds 5.

zebedee

One Too Many
Goat makes for a great, much lighter jacket that still has heft. It has good drape, doesn't scuff easily and ages visibly more slowly than fqhh. My 50's HB in seal goat from Aero is my go-to jacket (I had it made to Long Half Belt length as I needed a bit of wind cover where I was at the time).

J.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep ..goat is great..looking at an ELC G-1 goatskin in 2019, light, tough & water resistant..not enough goat in my life at present :)

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Goat makes for a great, much lighter jacket that still has heft. It has good drape, doesn't scuff easily and ages visibly more slowly than fqhh. My 50's HB in seal goat from Aero is my go-to jacket (I had it made to Long Half Belt length as I needed a bit of wind cover where I was at the time).

J.
Love to see photos of that one

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars

J.

The best preserved original A-2s I’ve ever seen were both in goatskin. Both Perry contracts. I’m referring to jackets that were used, not NOS examples that were hardly used. Horsehide and cowhide gets that beautiful time-worn patina much faster than goatskin in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic