Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going sockless in the summer

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Well, it's (unusually quickly for my native Minnesota) that time of year again, and for the first time in my short life I've decided to try out going sockless this summer. I never liked it as a child, and even to this day I wear socks almost 24/7. But I'm going a bit tropical this year, so I've got some new shorts, some new shirts, and some new deck shoes.

I'd already read the article on the Art of Manliness on the subject of keeping your shoes smelling fresh, but within a few hours of wearing them for the short commutes from my dorm to my classes I remembered why I didn't go sockless in my younger days: chafing. After only about two hours of continuous use, both of my heels and the joint of my right pinky toe had been rubbed raw and I had to switch back to my normal shoes to even be able to walk.

Now I can imagine that the heel-chafing is due to the shoe being a bit too large, and as such I'm heading out next weekend to pick up a newer, smaller pair. But before I do, are there any tips on how I might go about saving my poor pinky toe? Is this just the shoe needing to be broken in? Is it another, sneakier ramification of the shoes being too large? Is it a result of poor workmanship? How can I tell in advance, in the few moments I try a shoe on, where potential problem areas are going to be?

Though I'm willing to give no-show socks a try, I'm skeptical they'd be thick enough to provide protection.

Thanks!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Feet have oils and lots of bacteria. Not really good for any shoes to have your feet toe jam them up. The low ankle socks work. Anyone around you when you take off shoes will appreciate that you elected to use socks rather than to have your feet give off a negative "perfume" effect....(IMHO).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Take It All Off

I have to admit, I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. Right now it's nothing, [shoes & socks that is]!:D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The only time I wear closed shoes sans socks is with moccasins in the house. Otherwise, I wear socks for the reason you mentioned, chafing, but more importantly is that I can't take the sweaty-feet thing with no cotton-sock absorption. And after a few hours of that the smell is none too pleasant, either. Socks for me.

filfoster

One Too Many
Shoes without socks is like going 'commando', not really a good idea, no matter how appealing it seems. The look is OK but the consequences for your shoes and feet aren't good. Wear ankle socks but as my daughters have forced me to do, cut them down so they do not show at all.
Someday, when I really hate a pair of slip ons or Chuck Taylors, (who knows what they will have done to me to merit that contempt?), I will wear them sockless. They'll be sorry! They will become malodorous hulks in a matter of a summer season, unappealing even to raccoons or stray dogs. The trash men would even refuse to take them, probably leaving some note as they do for batteries and other hazardous waste that they must be consigned to a special collection facility. Don't do it.
This thread does inspire ideas for kindred threads on flip flops and dark ankle socks with gym shoes. Let me see.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I try not to be judgemental, but going without socks is - in my opinion - one of the greatest style crimes. There are of course exceptions: wearing sandals (must have a removable insole to prevent rotting of leather); any leisure activities involving water. But the shoes without socks look is an absolute no-no.

To be honest, I find that a well made pair of shoes - regardless of weight - will be comfortable in even the warmest temperatures.

It makes me think of the time on a French campsite: I walked out of the washroom wearing a vest, knee length tailored shorts (complete with turn-ups), socks and stout brogues. I was greeted by the sound of a French child shouting "Maman, un Anglais!" My wife thought it was hilarious - i thought it was a compliment.

Edward

Bartender
lol I would never go sockless.... it's one way of ending up with hot, sore and clammy feet. In my experience, the sock in the shoe in hot weather does the same job as an undershirt between the torso and shirt. I do have a couple of pairs of modern-style sandals somewhere, but they'll go as soon as they are unearthed. One pair was bought when I had a severely ingrown toenail and couldn't wear regular shoes.... I think I did often wear socks with them in order to keep the dressing (and, indeed, my feet) clean). The other pair were bought as a cheap, last minute option for a costume party which I attended as Theseus (the rest of the costume was fashioned from a couple of bedsheets, half a dozen kilt pins, and a large ball of string - of course). I am disinclined to wear either again. If ever I really needed sandals, I'd buy a pair of the WPG repros of the ones the Brits wore in North Africa, but I'd certainly wear socks with them. On a sliding scale, of course, gonig sockless is just about a lesser sin in my book than short trousers on a grown man...... ;)

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Wear ankle socks but as my daughters have forced me to do, cut them down so they do not show at all.

No need to go about assailing your stockings with scissors; they make "loafer socks" so you can achieve the no-sock look, without actually being sockless.

If you wind up with sore hot spots and blisters go to the camping / hiking supply and ask for a "Blister Kit." They have a variety of 'patches' that go over the trouble area and save you pain.

I have not been one to leave the house in shoes without socks except for taking the trash out to the street type of quick chore or errand. I have fairly tender feet no socks means blisters in a hurry.

Edward

Bartender
When I went hiking for a few days at a time, I used to coat my feet in Vaseline before I put my socks on. Felt icky at first, soon forgotten about. Didn't blister once. I was the only one on the last expedition that didn't blister, actually. Nana Marlowe, God rst her soul, saw it on a TV documentary about the Paras once, I gave it a try and it worked..... course, if you're not wearing socks, this could result in an icky shoe....

tealseal

A-List Customer
Yes, these are not enough for my daughters who insist that I pare even these down so that they do not show at all. I simply do what I am told.
If they are True loafer socks, they should not show unless you are wearing them with sandals. I have pairs from a variety of sources, most recently, hilariously, Urban Outfitters. I wear them with my topsiders, about as low a profile as a shoe can get, and there is no showing ever.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have gone sockless in the summer. Usually with sandals or Croc's. But if you are going to go sockless in shoes you should choose a pair of already broken in ones. If they are leather and new; I would steep them in water for an hour then wear them till dry. With that said it depends on the shoe. I would never go sockless in Dr. Martens, they would eat your feet. Hush Puppies are better.
Last year I discovered ankle socks and love them. I overheat easily and found they helped a lot.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

tealseal

A-List Customer
I will make my first visit to Urban Outfitters, then. Thanks
It is a truly strange experience. When I was there, they had grey, black, and other pairs that did not match each other (on purpose). A quick Google turned up some J Crew options that look like they have the correct shape. I hope you find what you are looking for! Cutting socks must be a huge pain.
They'll have a low heel and a HUGE hole for your foot, such that the fabric of the sock only comes halfway up your foot so it is hidden completely by the tongue of the shoe. Is this the type you still had to cut down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner