Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Bencraft tomorrow. If I like the Akubra Stylemaster>

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Stylemaster is not available in the USA . You have to buy in online from a vendor in Australia . We carry the Boomerang from Akubra . Next yaer though we will be bringing in a few styles directly from the company . The agent here does not have a big selection . It's a big problem .
Come on down anyway . The selection is great !:cool2:

GregNYC

One Too Many
I was at Bencraft today>>

tried on a few by Borsalino and Stetson. The sales guy who helped me was nice enough, but unfortunately didn't know very much at all about fedora-style hats and couldn't give me information or inspiration. I hardly learned anything, and left hatless! I'm gonna hit the vintage market next I think!

Feraud

Bartender
GregNYC said:
The sales guy who helped me was nice enough, but unfortunately didn't know very much at all about fedora-style hats and couldn't give me information or inspiration.
Sorry to hear you did not get a hat.
For information I would go through the pages of the Lounge. We have the most informed group of folks I have ever met! You will learn a lot about hat quality, styles, etc. However, most of the information pertains to the vintage stuff. I am not sure what the concensus is on the modern hatmakers. Hopefully someone will chime in with a thought or two.

What you should do for inspiration is to go to a hat store and try on many styles. Pick a style, color and fit that feels good to you. I doubt most people working in stores that sell hats are as 'into' hats as we are. I would hate to read anyone's introduction to fedora wearing was frustrated due to lack of information or choosing a wrong style.

Good luck and keep at it!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Federation hat

We dont carry the Federation hat by Akubra because the two ditributors of Akubra in the USA don't offer it . I'm sorry Greg if you couln't find anything in our store that was "vintage" looking .Next time let me know your coming and I'll be there personaly. From looking at a picture of the hat , it looks like a basic teardrop crown with a 2 3/8" brim . We carry two hats from Stetson called the Ashland and the Chatham , both with teardrop crowns . Is the Federation that nice of a hat? So many people on the lounge have commented about it . Is the hat that much better than a Biltmore or a Stetson ? I'd love to get one and compare them .
Akubra makes good hats but their "dress " line is non exestant in the USA .:cool2:

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,hi Greg.
I've got a Stylemaster Akubra a few ago.
I've got it in steel gray, just more dark than my expectatives, but I really love it.
I've wore it today, it's very thin smooth and warm; it has a very good sweatband,Ifeel it (the sweatband) warmer and softer than my not vintage Borsalino's sweatband.
It has a 4,5 inch crown,in the front;2 3/4 inch brims bound edge (really I think to be more wide than so). I'm a 7 1/2 american size, cm 60!
It is ,for me, a great non vintage hat for the money.
I advice it to you .
Take a look where Sharpy say www.getahaton.com

Best regards.
Riccardo.

GregNYC

One Too Many
besdor said:
I'm sorry Greg if you couln't find anything in our store that was "vintage" looking .Next time let me know your coming and I'll be there personaly.

Hello Besdor,

I have a feeling that if you had been there, I would have gotten guidance, information, inspiration, and would have happily walked out with a nice hat or two! You see, part of my hesitation as a newbie was that I am not yet sure just what I'm looking for. Several people wrote to me and recommended that I talk to you when I get there. I can drop by either store. Next time I come, I'll send you a message in advance!

--Greg

Bencraft

Sorry to hear about your Bencraft experience. I've had good luck with them (plus I like to spend my money at home in Brooklyn).

BTW, Besdor, at which store do you hang your hat (as it were)?

I agree about JJs, but they are noticeably pricier. And what's the fun in a trip to Fifth and the 30s? Lamesville.

Sardou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran