Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going up a size when ordering an Aero A2....

Going up a size when ordering an Aero A2 - should you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Going up a size when ordering an Aero A2: YES or NO?

I have an Aero Highwayman in 48" which fits me just right. Amanda suggested that as the A2 and other military type jackets are a tighter fit, I should consider a 50 (i.e. go up a size).

However, I do want to retain the proper look of the jacket - and given that it is supposed to be trim fitting, should I just order the 48"?

This is the one I have my eye on:

Aero 'Real Deal" A-2--Seal "Jerky"
78482787.jpg

78482834.jpg

PS - what is more authentic - the nickle or brass talon zipper?

PPS - what is this jacket like for authenticity? Was this color poular abck in the mid-forties?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Friendly advice Buddy-

-if in any way, you would consider yourself "a bit portly", then go up a size.
Aero jackets have zero gut-space, a la a proper A-2.

Authenticity..? as an "off the rack" A-2, Aero are a very authentic cut, fit-wise excellent but Eastman have the small details (correct style press studs and cotton thread, etc...)which don't matter down pat- but they don't fit right...'Remember- there were no WW2 airmen with bellies- this is contradicted by Eastamn jacket fit.

The jacket pictured looks like the WW2 Aero contracts(Aero, the for-real WW2 contractor)- seal brown with rust knits. This was an "Aero, Beacon, NY thing- seal brown/rust knits". Seal brown was by far the most popular wartime colour.

Brass or nickel "Talon" zip- doesn't even matter if it's one of their repro zips...
Nickel is the way to go though.

Aero is a good choice, Brian.
Congrats-

B
T

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
So that's a yes, then? (Given that you know I'm a bit portly!!!)

Those points were well made. I have plenty of belly room however in the Highwayman, even though it is a 48", and trim by modern standards.

This jacket craze is an incentive to lose the belly (cheers, Bellytank)!

So the color is a good choice huh? Good to know.

I wonder if it's like the highwayman in weight - that jacket is like putting on a suit of armor....

Marv

A-List Customer
I have an Aero indian goat A2 in a 44" reg, however it is a slim cut and even though I wear a 44" suit jacket I prefer a little more room in the A2 fit (my personal choice) so I wished I had gone up a size.
Having said that, Aero A2s tend to run a little short on the body length so going for a size should give you that little extra room plus a bit more in the length also......the choice is yours :) .

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Good point Marv; however, as I am going for the extra 2" on the arms and body option, I'm not sure if going the 50" jacket route would be over-compensating....

green papaya

One Too Many
your a big guy

I would definitely go up a size, then you can wear another layer underneath

it should have room to wear a flight suit underneath / overalls

plus more room to move /comfort

Marv

A-List Customer
Mr H, I hear what you are saying.........if you are looking to make mods to an existing 48" by adding length then possibly not, but it may be worth checking with Aero about the snugness of the body fit compared to their Highwayman as you may find that the A2 is a tighter fit.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Customs is not an issue but the shipping would make it too expensive to do that - it's £15 and then to send it back again to them and them to pay for the new one sent over.

FLATHEAD

New in Town
Mr.H:

If I were you, here is what I would do.

Take your current Aero Highwayman, zip it up, and lay it flat on a bed,
with the zipper facing up.

Then, measure it from one armpit seam to the other, across the chest.

If you double this number, that is what the total chest measurement is.

Since your Highwayman is a size 48, I am going to guess that it measures
about 26.5 to 27 inches from armpit to armpit.

Aero incorporates about 6 inches of "movement room" over taged size into their standard
Highwayman type jackets. I have one of their Californian jackets, which is
similar to a Highwayman, in a size 44, and that measures exactly 25 inches
from armpit to armpit. So, you can see that taged size 44, plus 6 inches is 50
inches, which is 25 inches armpit to armpit.

Aero incorporates 4 inches of "movement room" over the taged size into their A-2 jackets
just like the originals were made. So, a size 48 Aero A-2
will be 52 inches total chest measurement.

This means that a size 48 A-2 will measure 26 inches from armpit to
armpit.

A size 50 A-2 will have a total chest measuremnet of 54 inches, which
will measure 27 inches armpit to armpit.

You can zero in on the exact fit you want if you can compare the fit of
your current Highwayman versus the 4 inches of movement room in a
standard A-2 sizes 48 and 50.

Also, remember that Aero can make the jacket chest size to whatever you
want, so once you find the correct measurement for you, that will give the
fit you want, you can tell them that, and thats what they will make it. You
don't have to pin youself down to a stock standard size.

I am going to say that an Aero size 50 is probably what would fit you best.
It will fit about the same as your Highwayman across the chest, but due to
the wool waistband, it is going to fit much more "snug" around the middle
versus your Highwayman.

I hope this helps.

Jim

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Flathead, that's really helpful.

And by the way welcome to the Lounge.

I will measure the Highwayman now and see what the armpit to armpit measurement is.

I think I'll be going for a 50". I just didn't want a baggy jacket, but I don't think I'll have that problem given that it will be tight fitting at the waist.

Thanks again.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
The jacket pictured looks like the WW2 Aero contracts(Aero, the for-real WW2 contractor)- seal brown with rust knits. This was an "Aero, Beacon, NY thing- seal brown/rust knits". Seal brown was by far the most popular wartime colour.

B
T

BT, can you clarify on this? Did the Scottish company buy the Aero name and business? Were the originally in NYC?

Never really understood this....

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just bought an Aero Real Deal in russet horsehide about a month ago. I wear a size 42 sport jacket and that is the size I ordered. It fits like a glove, but if I gain 10 pounds it won't fit, it's that close. Also if you have big biceps you may have a problem. The arms are snug and not sloppy. But I love the jacket, I'm just sorry it's too warm to wear it now. Here is a black and white that shows the snug arms and overall fit. I'm 5' 10" and weigh about 165 or so. I know it's a matter of personal taste but I really like the jerky hide over the smooth. It just has more character and develops a more personal look as it breaks in.

IMG_20070417_0001_r1.jpg

Here's a color shot.

IMG_20070413_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
An important part of the equation is what you plan to wear under the jacket. If you usually wear a T-shirt or a button up collared shirt made of reasonably light material you may be OK with a 48, since you are adding to the length. If you plan to wear a sweatshirt or sweater most of the time, then it would be smart to go up a size.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Mr. H,

Would it be out of the question for you to take a holiday and visit the Aero factory?? Whether you went by auto or whatever it would allow you to get a definite, correct answer regarding size. It would be worth the piece of mind to spend a bit to go to the factory and be fitted by an expert!

Edward

Bartender
Probably is worth making a trip up there, given the price these jackets go for!! I've been wondering two things, really -

a] how can I justify the price of the jacket.... difficult (bear in mind that £340 UK is currently about USD780 - surely they're not so expensive in the US - like everything else, bah...).... I don't mind paying for quality and it makes sense if it's a jacket that will last me for the next 20 years, but.... it's still a scary outlay!

b] the sizing thing.... I like a fairly snug fit in leathers... normally I wear a 44" in a jacket or an overcoat to accomodate layers beneath... in a Brando style MC, which I rarely wear more than a shirt under, a 44" really is quite sung, but not so much so that when zipped up it looks like a shirt rather than a close fitting jacket, if you see what I mean. Is the general vibe that an A2 should be sized like a blazer, or like a coat?

Feraud

Bartender
I have seen a2s that fit snug and others a bit loose. Personal preference is a good guide to go by. I would suggest making a trip if it is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot