Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good places to shop for leather jackets?

blueoakleyz

New in Town
I've been spoiled by a nice leather jacket I now own made of a thick lambskin (sheep?). It's both smooth/soft and thick.
The ones at the mall seem so so so poor compared to them.

But I have a hard time finding leather jackets.

Aero and Schott seem more motorcycle style and expensive but I do know about them. Langlitz too.

Jwag

One of the Regulars
I found the internet is just about the best place to buy leather jackets...Aero, Lost Worlds, Gibson & Barnes, or even U.S. Wings are some of the best on the market. I recommend your next jacket be something other than lamb. I'm new here too, but have learned so much from the experts on here.

blueoakleyz

New in Town
For years now i've always wanted this one leather jacket at malls... it was sooo smooth..

but went back tonight, saw it and realized that while the jacket is thick from the lining, the leather feels sooo thin.. I don't know why but that seems cheap to me.

Compared to my lamb/sheep skin jacket and it's thick.. feels good, quality.

Aero.
Eastman.
Schott.
Vanson.
Lost Worlds.
Lanolitz.
Gibson and Barnes.

"Fashion" jackets/mall jackets are often made from lamb. It tends to be thin and drape well.
More.....substantial.....jackets, such as those made by the folks listed above, tend to use other leathers.

blueoakleyz

New in Town
I like jackets that drape and I think some jackets look good when they drape.. others like bombers or biker jackets look better thick and smooth..

anyway my current jack, it's lamb/sheep, fairly thick comparatively.. but feels like it could tear easier than goat/cow if you know what I mean.

normanf

One of the Regulars
lamb tears easy... cow, goat and horse leather always look good. That's why tough leathers are preferred for practical jackets.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Sometimes your best bet is to check with your local motorcycle club members, S&M fetishists, or police motor officers. These people require a high grade leather for heavy duty use. In my local area, there are several leather specialty shops that make excellent leather garments.

However, I find that most people don't really require commercial grade leather. If all that you're doing is looking good in your leather, then you will not need to spend an arm and a leg. Are you planning on riding a bike, or getting whipped, abused, and humiliated?

Obviously everyone here likes leather, and will point out that it breathes well, is waterproof, windproof, durable, and will last a lifetime if you take care of it. I'm one of those people that own leather, and wear it in the rain. But modern synthetics such as Gore-Tex & Thinsulate will keep you just as warm and dry.

Ultimately, you will have to decide on price point. What you can afford has everything to do with it. It's like everything else. I would like a nicer car, but can't afford it. I want to live in a bigger house, but can't afford a mansion. Then take your time, do your homework, and decide exactly what kind of leather you want, insulation, lining, style, cut, et cetera.

When in doubt, go for a classic A-2. You can't go wrong with that.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have picked up nice jackets from Ebay, this site, and VLJ website (Vintage leather jackets).

If you don't know your size or what you want, then that is a problem. There very few brick and mortar stores any more.

Johnson Leather, San Francisco, CA
Langlitz Portland, OR
Insurrection Apparel Seattle, WA
Blue in Green, a mens store, Soho, New York, NY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart