Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Repro Looks

tbrunke

Familiar Face
There was a posting of bad repro looks, and it made me think of good repro looks. The first movie that came to mind was Swing Kids, about German youth in 1930's Germany pre-WWII. Period clothes, music and the hairstyles seemed pretty authentic to me.

What other movies would you all think have a good repro look?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Francis Coppola's The Cotton Club (1984). Much, much better "repro looking" than The Godfather, Part I.

I agree Marc. Here is a clip from The Cotton Club. The first 1:30 min are the best illustration of your point. Both male and female hairs are spot on, IMHO. Later, in the cab scene, Geer is wearing a killer Homburg.

Warbaby

One Too Many
The best period-accurate movie (actually a TV series) I've ever seen was Carnival. It's a very dark, slow-paced drama and certainly not to everyone's taste, but even if it's not your cup of tea, it's definitely worth watching for the clothing and sets.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
"The Pianist". Good, or Bad...

Good, or bad- have a watch of "The Pianist", the Polanski film, with Adrian Brody, as the Polish-Jewish pianist in post-Blitzkrieg Poland. I have never seen so many of those mid '30s style German suits; with the double scalloped, yoked, inverted pleat back, vented, patch pockets, etc., in one place before. It seems like every second suit is in that style. I like that style a lot. But maybe, just maybe, there are too many of them in Poland in 1939...

B
T

Lokar

A-List Customer
Yeah, I watched the Pianist last night, I loved the costumes (but I don't know how accurate it was..)

Also, it's not a film, but the Granada Holmes with Jeremy Brett was an excellent portrayal of Victorian London.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I find the Poirot films with David Suchet look period accurate of the 1930s. Not counting Poirot himself as he dressed far more extravagantly than anyone else, but all the other characters appear to be wearing the right sort of suits, hats, dinner jackets and even bathing suits.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:
worthlesswithoutpics

Would love to see some example pictures. :D

Cheers!

Dan
Liberty Heights
liberty%20heights.jpg

Road To Perdition
road_to_perdition_xl_05--film-B.jpg

Devil in a Blue Dress