Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Type A-1 (size 46) new domestic capeskin (single button collar pattern)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I posted several images from John's website recently.

I've worn the jacket on several occasions now - generally in cold dry weather (and a bit of drizzle).
It has been liberally sprayed with warm water and worn until dry - this tightened up the lower back and relaxed the grain in places.

IMG_0718_zps82f05142.jpg

IMG_0719_zpsa43bee0d.jpg

IMG_0720_zpse4338985.jpg

IMG_0721_zps99d855b8.jpg

IMG_0717_zpsfacd51bd.jpg

IMG_0715_zps8b31c4d0.jpg

IMG_0714_zpse22abf74.jpg

IMG_0713_zps346a0648.jpg

The work on the sleeves went very well (see below), I'm much happier with the knits as I felt that these 'ballooned' a little.
IMG_0716_zps0ba1cad8.jpg

Will take some photos wearing it in due course, but it's very comfortable with room for a little layering (e.g. shirt and knitted waistcoat).

Purchased as a test jacket from the Good Wear site and sleeves subsequently tailored in the UK.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Ian, did you have some work done on the sleeves?

Yes Jeff, as a test jacket fitted to John's measurements, the torso is usually fine, but my arms are a little shorter.
Last time I had the sleeves of an ELC A-1 shortened by Aero the job went very badly wrong (sleeves came back different lengths) and so I determined to send the next job somewhere else.
John Lever recommended a Moto jacket tailor local to both of us and he came up trumps. He was quick (next day), reasonable (£40) and did exactly what I asked (matched thread and construction exactly).
A little length off both leather cuff and knit means that the arms sit very well now.
I'm wearing the jacket daily now as the weather is warming up a little here. It's slightly roomier than my ELC .50cal A-1 so I can wear a light jumper/waistcoat underneath easily.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I'm happy that you found someone reliable to do the alterations on the sleeves. Finding competent craftsmen and women to do a quality job seems to get harder every day.

I've thought about the A-1 from GW. The web site has the snap fasteners at the bottom. Did you request the buttons or was that just part of the test jacket originally?

John

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks John, you're absolutely right. My previous experience with Aero left me very nervous with this alteration, but happily it worked out.
This is currently a unique jacket - the test for an earlier pattern from the '20s.
If you compare this one with the stock A-1 on John's site you'll find the following differences:
single button closure at throat (rather than 2);
two buttons to waistband rather than snaps;
modified pocket flap profile;
pockets placed more centrally.

John contacted me and drew my attention to the jacket as he felt that it ticked all the boxes that I'd previously posted as desirable features. I offered to buy it on the spot and sold my previous A-1.

D

Deleted member 16736

What would you think of an A-1 in horsehide?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Not my cup of tea - I've only ever bought cape A-1 jackets.
John Jeter has a couple (a GW and a BR or RM) and he loves them.
The drape is a little different from cape.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If anybody is interested, I've just listed my fabulous Good Wear Leather capeskin A-1 in the classifieds section.

TypeA1_1920s.jpg

front_view.jpg

reverse_view.jpg

Gorgeous, comfortable and high quality jacket, but not getting the wear it deserves.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bret
Even I can only wear one A-1 at a time...
I'm using the .50 cal and the Menlo Cossack interchangeably at the moment so the GW just isn't getting the wear.
With a BK A-1 on the way something has to go.
Cheers
Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails