Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great British television.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Thought I'd post this here, as quite a few might be interested...

The Sci-Fi Channel has picked up the newest Doctor Who series from the BBC, and it's supposed to start this March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

I'm looking forward to it, as the new series seems to be very well done, from what I've read.

Brad
Thanks for the link..I wasn't aware that SciFi will show this. Doctor Who has had some fine actors in the past. My first exposure was the movies staring Peter Cushing (saw those more than 30 years ago...) Later I caught the Tom Baker episodes. He really brought a sense of humor (should I say Humour?) and mystery to the show. I also love the cheesey 70s "special" effects. I also loved the Jon Pertwee episodes and the original William Hartnell ones. Great show!

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
I just did what i should've done in the first place. Google search. The Kumar's at No. 42 looks pretty good. It is from the Goodness Gracious people. Those guys loved basically reproducing what the racist british comedy of the 70s did regarding immigrants (see Alf Garnett et al), but did it with indian/pakistani actors. Brilliant!

I hope to see The Kumar's sometime.

bk

Warren Mitchell (Who plays Alf Garnett) is jewish, he is being satirical. Unfortuanately part of the audience don't realise this. There are stories of him being highly upset at live performances when racists go to 'support' the jokes not realising they are the ones being ridiculed.

"Mitchell admitted there were times when their creation could have been taken the wrong way: "There have been times when I've felt ashamed. When I've been doing Alf to a live audience and he says something like "Enoch Powell had the right idea" or "Adolf Hitler had his moments", and somebody in the audience cheers." Mitchell's being Jewish in real life was cleverly incorporated in one episode, "Intolerance" (1966), where Booth forces Alf to go to the mirror and take a good look at his own nose."

However, shows like "Mind Your Language" are indefensible.

It's possible to be too sensitive though, some might say Manuel was racist today. Did you know he was portrayed as Italian in the spanish dubbed version the BBC sold to Spain?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav