Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Great Coat" in the middle of summer

Flieger

Practically Family
Well, I see the problem. [huh]

Maybe you can find something similar in a Danish surplus store? Even though we are neighbours, I know next to nothing about danish uniforms. :eek:

/F

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Thanks Flieger...don't know about the sizes. My A2 is a 52 and I am 1,94 high with matching weight. So I believe I need larger than L - allthough they are "generously cut".[huh]

when you say 52, is that a European size, or do you mean a UK style 52" chest measurement? If it's the chest measurement, you might be out of luck, but if it's a sizing thing, that corresponds to a UK 42" chest.... I take a 42R in a suit myself (UK chest measurements), so I'd be chancing it on a large, which I should think would fit a guy of my size just fine. At that price anyhow I'd be confident of getting my money back on eBay if it didn't fit... any store I've seen them in in London, they've been selling for a fair bit more than that. Sono as these guys hasve large back in .... :idea: I must try them on next time I see one in town, that might help...

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Edward, year I agree its blody confusing. My A2 jackets are US size 52 and 50. Which should be EU size 62/60 right?:eusa_doh:

I think so, yeah - AFAIK, the US sizing is standard chest measurements same as we have in the UK. I don't know what the European system is based on?

I'd try hunting online if you need a bigger size. One of my friends, a fuller figured lady, has been looking for a red Guards jacket in about a 54" chest (she's not as large as that sounds, but, you know, accomodating bosoms in a jacket not originally cut to do that and all...) - she found somebody catering to those on eBay. Seems to me that you might find some luck with a good online hunt... there's bound to be surplus kicking around in bigger sizes, if they have it as weeny as a 36" or a 38"! (And those guards jacketas were cut tight!)

Hal

Practically Family
AAmeric

Flieger said:
... othervise northern Scandinavia would be packed with people wearing nice coats and such... it isn't. :D

/F

In the UK with its mild winters it seems to be almost a point of honour among the majority that they wear as little as possible, and certainly neither overcoat nor hat. A pity if this is spreading to places with cold winters, such as Scandinavia, central Europe and North America - I hope it isn't!

Flieger

Practically Family
Hal said:
A pity if this is spreading to places with cold winters, such as Scandinavia, central Europe and North America - I hope it isn't!

No, it's the other way around... Here people are wearing down-/gortex jackets made for expeditions to Mount Everest even if it's just a little bit nippy. :rolleyes: I'll save garments like that for days when it REALLY gets cold, ie: 25-30 below zero. (talking centigrades here...)

/F

Hal

Practically Family
Flieger said:
... people are wearing down-/gortex jackets made for expeditions to Mount Everest even if it's just a little bit nippy.

Down and goretex are practical but cannot hold a candle to such coats as yours when it comes to appearances. It looks great over the sweater as in your picture, but could surely be worn with a suit. It would be interesting to see what others suggest would be the appropriate headgear.
(Don't apologise for the Celsius/Centigrade temperatures - Celsius was Swedish, after all. The BBC has used them in weather forecasts for over 40 years.)

Flieger

Practically Family
Hal said:
It would be interesting to see what others suggest would be the appropriate headgear.

Yeah, I'd like to hear some suggestions as well... I've tried it with a brown and a black fedora and I wasn't that impressed myself. :)

/F

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wool Greatcoat

I recently picked up a similar coat on ebay. Same grey color, Heavy wool, 1/2 liined in taffeta, sleeves lined as well, single back vent with a 1-btn closure, double-breasted, slash pockets instead of flapped pockets, 4" rollback cuffs on sleeves, grey plastic buttons with a raised cross on them, and belt loops but no belt. The tag at the collar reads '50N'. The only other tag reads G R D E 86, with the G and D above the R & E, and the 86 to the right of the letters.
Does anyone have any idea where this coat may have originated?
My best guess is the German Democratic Republic. Made in 1986?
Any info would be helpful. Seller has no idea. She bought it from a consignment shop a couple of years ago.

Edward

Bartender
bncarter said:
I recently picked up a similar coat on ebay. Same grey color, Heavy wool, 1/2 liined in taffeta, sleeves lined as well, single back vent with a 1-btn closure, double-breasted, slash pockets instead of flapped pockets, 4" rollback cuffs on sleeves, grey plastic buttons with a raised cross on them, and belt loops but no belt. The tag at the collar reads '50N'. The only other tag reads G R D E 86, with the G and D above the R & E, and the 86 to the right of the letters.
Does anyone have any idea where this coat may have originated?
My best guess is the German Democratic Republic. Made in 1986?
Any info would be helpful. Seller has no idea. She bought it from a consignment shop a couple of years ago.

Sounds like a 1945-1989 East German issue, yeah - the typical winter issue coat that would have been worn by guys, for instance, stationed on the Berlin Wall.

Flieger

Practically Family
I'm not sure about that, Edward... Wasn't the East German coats more greenish then greyish? I'm also pretty sure that the East German coats did not have rollback cuffs or belt loops.

But maybe I'm generalizing to much... I'm no expert on military coats. :eek:

/F

Edward

Bartender
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not an expert either! My recollection of the East german border guards (maybe there was a difference between the generic army and border guard coat?) was that it was a grey with maybe a very tiny underhint of green - not the bluer grey of the Nazi Wehrmacht uniforms- if it had the insignia, this involved a gree band / flash around the sleeve towards the cuff end... I could be wrong too, though, just an idea! FWIW, I've long seen stuff that was actually austrian or Swiss passed off as German uniforms in some surplus places, so maybe that's a possibility?

Any photos of it available?

Rob

Familiar Face
I did some research on the Torchwood greatcoat a few months back... seems that our pal Captain Jack wore a real RAF greatcoat when he was introduced in the 2005 series of Doctor Who. When they got around to making Torchwood, however, they tailored a lighter version of the coat out of a non-wool material (the actor is, apparantly allergic to wool) and made it slightly longer so it swooshes around. So, try as we might, even the real deal isn't going to look as good as his :)

Edward

Bartender
Rob said:
I did some research on the Torchwood greatcoat a few months back... seems that our pal Captain Jack wore a real RAF greatcoat when he was introduced in the 2005 series of Doctor Who. When they got around to making Torchwood, however, they tailored a lighter version of the coat out of a non-wool material (the actor is, apparantly allergic to wool) and made it slightly longer so it swooshes around. So, try as we might, even the real deal isn't going to look as good as his :)

I figured it might be something like this! It does reinforce the point, though IMO that cut and fabric are so important to the look of something. The Doctor Who coat that Tennat wears I suspect wouldn't look the same in any fabric other than the faux-suede upholstery fabric it is made from - wool just wouldn't hang the same way.

Still, the RAF coat is close enough for Captain Jack's look IMO, and if I can find one cheap in my size I'll definitely give it a go for this winter!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
RNZAF greatcoats are the same pattern as well, and 1950s ones can easily be made to pass for WWII era ones as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany