Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great pics of leather jackets

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
I would like to post some pics of my leather jackets...some here have great pics which really show grain and detail etc...I have tried to duplicate with little success with my new Nikon Coolpix L24 digital..$88. at Walmart. Am I wasting my time trying to duplicate the many excellent pic posts here on FL by using such a camera ? What do I have to go up to in terms of camera to acheive excellent photographs of jackets ?

Metatron

One Too Many
The main thing is lighting... Unless you have a tripod, your best bet is taking it out in the sunlight and take your photos there.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I would recommend reflex camera, compacts can't offer such quality due to the smaller sensor. I had once discontinued Nikon D40 and I have been happy with it.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I shot these pics indoors with just a Panasonic point and shoot, a tripod, and some editing software to enhance things. If you are talking about magazine quality photos, you will need a SLR type higher quality camera, Canon and Nikon being the most common.
P1030201Large.jpg
P1030203Large.jpg

P1030198Large.jpg
P1030200Large.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
The Nikon Coolpix is a nice little camera and should be fine for Internet quality images. As mentioned, natural light is the key so take the jackets outside an suppress the flash on the camera. Light cloud will give a more even light or find a place out of the direct sun. For a close up of leather grain, try the macro function - you will need a very steady hand for this. Photoshop is great for cropping, sizing and adjusting the quality of the images before posting.

Hope this helps.

Dav

One Too Many
You should be able to get some half decent pictures with a cheaper camera, all of my pictures on here are taken with a cheap Samsung point and shoot. I know they aren't the best but hopefully they're acceptable.
I recently purchased a new camera in fact, a much more expensive Canon point and shoot, hoping to see an improvement in my pics only to be disappointed as if I'm honest I think the Samsung takes a better shot, think I'll look into a DSLR next year.

Sweep

New in Town
What do I have to go up to in terms of camera to acheive excellent photographs of jackets ?

As one of the characters in Mad Max once said "speeds just a question of money; how fast do you want to go?"

Robust tripod, 5x4 monorail camera with universal back, Schneider lenses, super mega-pixel digital back or
transparency sheet film. Probably would give you quality better than looking at the real jacket!!
Can you still buy Fuji Velvia?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn