Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great post-classic noir.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
The most famous is easily China Town. One of the less well-known, but still one of my favorites, is The Man Who Wasn't There.

But let's look at post-classic noir that isn't set in the Golden Era: Brick and especially The Grifters are the best I've seen. What other great films do you find manage to capture the noir feel without the period?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think it's worth mentioning my own avatar. Le Samourai, directed by Jean-Pierre Melville, is one of my favorite French neo-noir/new wave film, and one of my favorites in general. Even my latest hat is loosely inspired by the one Alain Delon wore, although it is technically a homburg. Another film by the same director worth mentioning is Le Cercle Rouge, which again stars Alain Delon, and Gian Maria Volonte. This can fall under neo-noir as well. Both of these movies are set in contemporary times of when they were filmed (1967 and 1970), so they aren't Golden Era, but there's the iconic trench coats and fedoras in them, in addition to the noir attitude.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
After Dark, My Sweet (1990)
Jason Patric, Rachel Ward, Bruce Dern

Twilight (1998)
Paul Newman, Susan Sarandon, Gene Hackman

Harper (1966)
Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Janet Leigh

Memento (2000)
Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano

Blade Runner (1982)
Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young

Zodiac (2007)
Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards

Se7en (1995)
Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow

Taxi Driver (1976)
Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster

Blood Simple (1984)
John Getz, Frances McDormand

Klute (1971)
Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Roy Scheider

The Usual Suspects (1995)
Kevin Spacey, Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne

Minority Report (2002)
Tom Cruise, Max von Sydow, Colin Farrell

Just a few off the top of my head.

Doug

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
What's the consensus on when the "classic noir" period ended?

As Atomic Age correctly stated, many cite Touch of Evil as being the last of its kind. At least one respected critic believes that the movie Psycho (1960), due to its graphic content, caused the death of Noir. For myself (for what it's worth), I don't think the period extends any later than about 1955, when The Big Combo, Kiss Me Deadly, and Night of the Hunter all came out. When movies chronologically got too far removed from the "angst" of immediate post-WWII America, and when neo-Expressionistic lighting and inventive camera angles were no longer novel, that which helps to define "Black Film" no longer existed in its vigorous expression. And even though I'll watch later Noirs, I tend to favor the ones made up to 1950, when the Korean War and McCarthyism added yet another dimension to Film Noir and the American way of life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner