Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Shoe Shine Stands across the nation

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^
Back in the day that would be the setup you'd find in the lobby of just about every large office building in America.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Chicago O'Hare airport has a shoe hospital for repairs. They have old machines from the 1920's/1930's era. Also there are 2 shine thrones in the shop. This is located in the United "B" gates area terminal 1. Also there are double thrones in the United "C" gates area, another double in the underground tunnel going up to the "C" gates and another double throne right inside the American terminal 3. They do a nice business at all locations.

Agreed. I've used them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Galt

Vendor
Here's the shine stand I use most. I bought it a few years ago for $15.00, full of polish, toothbrushes, shoe brushes, and a screwdriver.

ypazupuh.jpg

ypuny8yv.jpg

jenu3a5e.jpg

a3udaby9.jpg

When it comes to shoe polish, brushes, etc., it is often cheaper to buy one of these boxes than some polish, a shoe brush or two.

I have another, more modern one that also came full of stuff, and most of the ones I see at antique stores are also loaded.

PT Monteith

New in Town
That's a handsome shine box, Mr. Galt.

When it comes to shoe polish, brushes, etc., it is often cheaper to buy one of these boxes than some polish, a shoe brush or two.

I have another, more modern one that also came full of stuff, and most of the ones I see at antique stores are also loaded.

That's certainly been my experience. I've stumbled on to quite a few of these kits stuffed with old polishes, rags, and brushes.

I have one at home and one at the office. Here's the one at home.
IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Our office complex has this "self-serve" stand in the men's room.

Good idea. I like that stand. I may build one like it. I have a brace that is made to mount to a wall for self-shining. Frankly, unless they have a vise/clamp (I've never seen one), I don't know what good the shoe rest on a shine box is for doing your own shoes.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Good idea. I like that stand. I may build one like it. I have a brace that is made to mount to a wall for self-shining. Frankly, unless they have a vise/clamp (I've never seen one), I don't know what good the shoe rest on a shine box is for doing your own shoes.

It's so-so for that. You can't really bear down on the shoe but if you have a sponge applicator and a brush you can do pretty good with the mount shown in my pics.

I'd like to see a photo of the wall mount you mentioned. Sounds like it works pretty well.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Mine is at home, but I grabbed this image from a web page.

apapu7uz.jpg

I do not remember the brand, but there were several in this configuration on eBay when I looked.

I found mine in a thrift store, and it's missing the bracket, so I haven't used it yet.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately there are no shoeshine stands here (I've yet to find one anywhere in Western Canada) but my wife and I just got back from a month in Morocco and every city we went to had roving shoeshine men and lots of them. They were cheap and all did a good job. I think it's too bad we don't have any around here.

de Stokesay

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Yes, I see them there whenever I visit St. Louis.

Yes, they have a great stand there. THere are always people getting their shoes shined.

I am friends with several shoe shine guys, they shine shoes here in DC right next to the Camelot Gentleman's Club. Pretty clever if you ask me, catch the guys as they are coming in or out of the topless club to shine their shoes. One of their funniest lines that they say to guys as they are walking by:

Shoeshine Man: "Hey Mister you dropped something!"..man looks around thinking he dropped his wallet and then the shoeshine man says "You dropped your shine!" LOL.

There is one I got to know in downtown Cleveland in the Terminal Tower. His name escapes me but I spent a good hour speaking with him. He gave me a hell of a shine!

Hey Caramel, do remember the exact location in the terminal tower? Tower city is pretty big now.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Johnny in DFW airport terminal A put a good shine on my shoes. Don't know what it is about a professional and their shines.but they always look better and last longer than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Don't know what it is about a professional and their shines.but they always look better and last longer than mine
It seems that way, doesn't it. And they're so much faster. I do a decent job but it takes me a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner