Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Shoe Shine Stands across the nation

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
And John Allen's line of barbershops in NYC do shoe shines with their full service packages, according to their website.

flute

Bugsy

One Too Many
WineGuy said:
Good to know Bugsy, is there any shiner specifically to look for and if so what's his or her's name? Do all Nordstrom's have shoe shine stands?

I've done this for so long, that I think I've gone through about five shiners. My favorite, Manny, just retired. No matter which Nordstrom I go to, I have found all the shiners to be very adept in what they do. Just look for the shoe shine stand in the men's shoe department no matter what the store. Where can you find a deal like that for $2.50?? :)
Do you get to San Francisco often?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Bugsy said:
No matter which Nordstrom I go to, I have found all the shiners to be very adept in what they do.

I've had similarly good luck at airport shine stands. Whenever the wife and I travel, I look forward to getting a shine at the airport.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi Bugsy, I used to travel to SF twice a year but last few years I've only gotten there once...hopefully this fall. I actually want to relocate to the bay area so I might be out there more frequently in the future. I'll definitely hit Nordstrom's.

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Washington Union Station

When Im not in formation I prefer to wear my real leather black oxfords with my service and dress uniforms over the corfam issue shoes. Theyre still authorized and I think they look better than corfam as long as theyre shined well. I shine them myself usually, but I took advantage of the shoe shine station in Washington DCs Union Station in December. I wore my uniform shoes to save space in my bag (traveling in uniform makes you a target IMO), and noticed the booth in the terminal. I forget the price, maybe 15 dollars, but the shine was impeccable. I was surely squared away when I walked into my fiancees house in my blues later that night. :)

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Eddie's Shoe shine stand at Rockefeller Center

Funny, I was flipping through one of my copies of Classic Style Magazine(Fall 2007, Jon Hamm on cover) when what do find... a whole section on shoe shining tips and recommended shine stands by Nicholas Antongiavanni.
(God I miss that magazine...MK are you listening?)

He raved about Eddie's in the arcade below Rochefeller Center... called it the best shine that took almost 20 minutes for three bucks.

I know where I'm passing thru this weekend!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday, when the train that I was on pulled into Millenium station in Chicago, the shoe shine stand is the first business that you come to upon entering the station. The name of the guy who shined my shoes is Joe, They charge $3 & they also do other shoe repairs. The toes of my Allen Edmonds black McClains looked like patent leather! I ended up giving Joe a $3 tip he did such a good job. When I went back in the afternoon, they were closed, so you will have to go there first thing in the morning.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
WineGuy said:
I was in Nordstrom's in the Paramus Park Mall(NJ) the other day to pick up some replacement laces and noticed for the first time that there was a professional shoe shine stand tucked away behind the shoe department. A gentleman named Mario was shining the shoes of a dapper older man and so I decided to treat myself to a shine as well. What a pleasure. What a shine. I can't believe I've been missing out on this great service and ritual all these years. Now I want to map out the best shiners around and help steer business to them to preserve this dying art and service. Please post your favorite shoe shine stand locations along with the hours. Mario is there Monday thru Saturday from 10-6.

(apologies if there is a similar thread, I did search for several hours on the Lounge to see if one existed and came up empty handed)

First let me make a correction from the original post, his name is Maximo and not Mario. Went to him for a shine today and snapped a shot of him working on a gentleman' s wingtips(BTW this guy lives in Chicago but for the last 10 years brings his shoes with him on business trips to let Max service them...that's loyalty!). Max is a destination and worth a trip if you are on the Jersey side of the GW Bridge!

53c74aab.jpg

Tipping is a good question.

A restaurant wait staff gets 10-15-20% or a fixed amount as to a certain $ per person served.

A shoe shine guy brings a lot more work and time to a pair of shoes what type of scale does one use?

WineGuy

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Tipping is a good question.

A restaurant wait staff gets 10-15-20% or a fixed amount as to a certain $ per person served.

A shoe shine guy brings a lot more work and time to a pair of shoes what type of scale does one use?

Agreed, Max spent at least 10 minutes on my shoes(maybe 15) so the most he could squeeze in would be about 5 shines per hour on a good day. I don't know what arrangement he has with Nordstrom's but I would think the tips account for a big chunk of his income. I'd give more if that were the norm but I'm counting pennies just like anyone else these days.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The ability to shine one’s own shoes is what sets one apart from one’s Colonial Cousins.
Entrusting this to a tradesman is as reprehensible as delegating one’s marital duties with the Memsahib to a stranger.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
cookie said:
The ability to shine one’s own shoes is what sets one apart from one’s Colonial Cousins.
Entrusting this to a tradesman is as reprehensible as delegating one’s marital duties with the Memsahib to a stranger.

I've seen some ugly shoes out there just as I've seen some ugly "Memsahibs" so I suppose there is a time when a tradesman/stranger fills the ticket.

That said, I agree with you cookie that knowing how to shine one's shoes can be very rewarding...I'm still learning. BUT, I love the whole experience of getting a good shine, throw in a hot towel straight razor shave and I'm in heaven!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cookie said:
Entrusting this to a tradesman is as reprehensible as delegating one’s marital duties
Tell me you wouldn't drop your shoes off at this shop if it were convenient. And don't lie. [bad]

stan2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner