Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward

Bartender
I have my eye on a pair of these olive Trickers monkey boots…..https://www.trickers.com/uk/mens/country-boots/6077-44-ethan-moss-kudu

Be interested to hear how you get on with those if you pull the trigger. I've been eyeing them for a long time myself in the brown, though I struggle a bit with the ugly modern grip design on the sole. I know that won't be seen much when they're worn, of course, but it would bug me I know. I suppose they would last long enough that it could eventually be replaced, albeit I know financially I'd have to live with it until then.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Does anyone have an idea of how olive Vicenza looks after a year or two of serious wear? It's an interesting color, but I would need a guarantee that it would darken up over time before pulling the trigger.

IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty nice color, but I have yet to be convinced. I'm considering doing an Aero Outlaw vest with olive Vicenza pockets as a bit of a test run, but even that seems risky. I really wish they offered a more foresty green option.

Vanson has an olive colored leather they call “deer tanned cow” that darkens with wear.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Vanson has an olive colored leather they call “deer tanned cow” that darkens with wear.
It looks very similar to Vicenza olive right off the bat, but I'd rather roll the dice with Aero than Vanson. They just never seem to do themselves any favors when it comes to showing off their leathers, and their website and pictures are just about as unflattering as can be. Case in point:

portland-motorcycle-jacket-olive-green-deer-tanned-cow-leather.png

Reminds me of this guy:

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 1.03.00 AM.png

MrProper

It looks very similar to Vicenza olive right off the bat, but I'd rather roll the dice with Aero than Vanson. They just never seem to do themselves any favors when it comes to showing off their leathers, and their website and pictures are just about as unflattering as can be. Case in point:

View attachment 505553
Reminds me of this guy:

View attachment 505554
From what I've read, the models are Vanson employees and friends. I actually think that's quite likeable, because they're addressing the average customer.
if I want to see a picture of the jacket in the wild, I try Google or Instagram.
I contend that most of us don't look like models and I get a better impression of the jacket on an average guy. by the way… nobody can do anything about their looks and in that respect I find it a bit borderline to make fun of it.

Motocann

One Too Many
I once had a really cool vintage car coat in green leather. It was a “hand-me-down” from my cousin. A few years ago, I grew tired of “vintage” jackets and sold everything off. Sorry, I’m too lazy to look for a photo of my old green jacket. But, here’s a pic of my Red Wing Katanga leather boots. It took me a couple years to track down a pair of these Babies!
CA077418-3429-4729-BECA-FE29CFE3E57F.jpeg

Aloysius

Vanson does state outright that their olive ‘deer-tanned cow’ darkens with wear. That’s why I mentioned it. It isn’t a roll of the dice. That said, I get that their photos don’t give the best impression of fit usually (though I think the above one seems to fit just fine).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vanson does state outright that their olive ‘deer-tanned cow’ darkens with wear. That’s why I mentioned it. It isn’t a roll of the dice. That said, I get that their photos don’t give the best impression of fit usually (though I think the above one seems to fit just fine).
It's a naked (no topcoat) cowhide. I asked about it. Was trying to get a jacket in the brown color but no luck, so I settled with the comp weight brown Wolverine, which feels less glassy smooth like CW but more grainy like the Firenze. Would like to try a naked one at some point but so far they're either not available or overpriced in Japan, maybe that's their intended product position for this leather.
And yes naked leather will change color, stain and worse, fade in the sun. Also will absorb water like crazy. Probably not the best for a gear intended motorcycle jacket but very cool for patina progression. I would not do them in black for sure, but browns and greens and tans should turn out pretty good in a few years time.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
It's a roll of the dice in the sense that, just like Aero, they don't provide any photos of what one can reasonably expect it to darken INTO. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Freedom jackets, but at least when it comes to their natural leather, they provide photographs of what you can expect the evolution to be after plenty of wear and sunshine. I just don't understand why more companies don't do this, especially when it comes to more off-beat colors like the olives we're discussing.

As far as the photo I posted from Vanson, I'm talking about a lot more than just fit. In my opinion, like watches, leather jackets are a lifestyle product. Men typically buy them to fit into a pre-conceived image of masculinity that they may have gleaned from an album cover, movie, memory, whatever. A lot of men buy a Rolex Sub to feel like James Bond, or an Omega Seamaster to feel like...well, Bond. As far as jackets go, Thedi is a company that does an amazing job showing off its products, and a big part of that is because Theodoros himself just looks so damn cool wearing them. But yeah, most just seem to slap their un-broken-in jackets on the first model they can find, snap some pics, and call it a day. I don't want to speak for anyone else here, but that yellow-toothed kid (zoom in...his slimy teeth really do look like they haven't been brushed more than once or twice in the past week) modeling the Vanson is the last person on Earth that I want to look anything like. I don't ride motorcycles, but show me what the jacket looks like on a tough-as-nails biker after he's worn it on a cross-country road trip or to the tip of South America. Inspire that feeling we all had as kids when we saw Indiana Jones kicking ass in his jacket, or The Rocketeer flying through the air in his crazy jacket. SOMETHING.

Like I said, though...just my opinion.

UPDATE - Out of curiosity, I just showed the Vanson kid to my girlfriend. She's infinitely kinder than I am, but I had a feeling. Anyway, I told her to close her eyes, pulled the pic up, then said "Okay, look." She opened her eyes and immediately started laughing, then said one word...

"Derp."

So yeah, I just find it hard to believe that any company would want any prospective customer to have THAT as their first reaction.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Agree to disagree, I guess.

I hate “lifestyle brands” and influencers. Vanson’s website isn’t the primary seller of their jackets, anyway. It’s primarily a company that sells through dealers, a few of whom are very much into the “selling a lifestyle” thing anyway.

I’d rather a website full of poorly fitting jacket photos with people described as “Derp” than any of the “Standard & Strange” or “Snake Oil Provisions” marketing.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Aero green Kelpie

View attachment 506378

As for boots Trickers moss Kudu does look nice.
I've been eyeing these for a while now.

View attachment 506381
Two very interesting greens, indeed. I've wondered about the Aero Kelpie. How do you like it? It's honestly hard to tell that it's green at all in that pic. I would've guessed either black or a very dark blue. Is that the way it comes across in real life, or am I just reacting to the lighting?

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Agree to disagree, I guess.

I hate “lifestyle brands” and influencers. Vanson’s website isn’t the primary seller of their jackets, anyway. It’s primarily a company that sells through dealers, a few of whom are very much into the “selling a lifestyle” thing anyway.

I’d rather a website full of poorly fitting jacket photos with people described as “Derp” than any of the “Standard & Strange” or “Snake Oil Provisions” marketing.
Yeah, I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this one. I hate influencers myself and have zero social media (unless you consider this website to be a form of social media), but if I owned a company, I would think that making potential customers say "wow that's cool" (even subconsciously) could only help. But then again, I don't own a company and literally sell graves for a living, so what do I know?

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Two very interesting greens, indeed. I've wondered about the Aero Kelpie. How do you like it? It's honestly hard to tell that it's green at all in that pic. I would've guessed either black or a very dark blue. Is that the way it comes across in real life, or am I just reacting to the lighting?
It's a darker shade of green and can change quite a bit depending on lighting.

1020041.jpg

IMG_20230411_082955_(1920_x_1440_pixel).jpg

Compared to my Vic Board Racer it's close to 2 lbs heavier and does not show a lot of grain. Different but I like them both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner