Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had a brush with Hollywood?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
Anyone see his movie Boomerang where he plays a district attorney? How is it? I searched on Amazon for it and it was $50!

I saw it some time ago, but don't remember very much about it (though I rated it highly at imdb.com, so I must have liked it).

It's available via Netflix, if you (or a friend) have an account there.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Touches of Fame

I grew up in Attica, NY which is the subject of a couple docs, movies and is mentioned in countless Law and Order episodes and some Simpsons... and of course ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA. So Al Pacino and I are basically brothers.
I met David Hasselhoff at a Toys R Us opening circa 1986... So Knight-Rider days not his lame Baywatch years.
Lived in NYC for a couple of years so had some cool sightings but my coolest one is drinking with James Gandolfini a bunch of times. Never asked him anything about his job just some sports talk...
But I did star in a commercial for the Stevens Memorial Library at the tender age of 9 which was unfortunately broadcasted for the next ten years on Public Access TV

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Marlowe said:
Lived in NYC for a couple of years so had some cool sightings but my coolest one is drinking with James Gandolfini a bunch of times. Never asked him anything about his job just some sports talk...

I'll bet that WAS cool.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
I saw it some time ago, but don't remember very much about it (though I rated it highly at imdb.com, so I must have liked it).

It's available via Netflix, if you (or a friend) have an account there.

Thanks, SkyVue. I don't have a Netflix account, but maybe I'll do some searching for it elsewhere. I am rather strange when it comes to classic films - I want to own it even if I haven't seen it before. :D

Warbaby

One Too Many
It was long ago and a long way from Hollywood, but...

When I was a little kid we lived in Tombstone, Arizona. One summer they were shooting a movie (the now-classic western 'Red River') in the desert nearby. My father, being a big fan of John Wayne, took us out to the ranch where they were shooting. When my father saw The Duke taking a break by the corral he went over and talked with him for a few minutes, then brought him back and introduced him to me. The Duke got down on one knee, put his arm around my shoulder, and my mother snapped this photo.

As you can see from my expression, I wasn't all that impressed since I'd never seen a John Wayne movie and had no idea who he was.

Me_TheDuke.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:

When I was a little kid we lived in Tombstone, Arizona. One summer they were shooting a movie (the now-classic western 'Red River') in the desert nearby. My father, being a big fan of John Wayne, took us out to the ranch where they were shooting. When my father saw The Duke taking a break by the corral he went over and talked with him for a few minutes, then brought him back and introduced him to me. The Duke got down on one knee, put his arm around my shoulder, and my mother snapped this photo.

As you can see from my expression, I wasn't all that impressed since I'd never seen a John Wayne movie and had no idea who he was.

Me_TheDuke.jpg

WOW. That is SO awesome, Warbaby! What a great story - and a great photo to go along with it.

Hondo

One Too Many
Warbaby said:

Me_TheDuke.jpg

Definitely a great story! Thanks for sharing :eusa_clap

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the story!

John Wayne was in my hometown of Oklahoma City for an event at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame (now called the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum), and my parents snagged an autograph for me. That's not nearly as cool as meeting him, though.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Warbaby said:

Me_TheDuke.jpg
You look like you belong in a movie with him!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
What a fun thread!

I lived in Omaha, NE when they were filming "Election" with Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon, 1997.

I returned home from work at 3:00 am and found the parking lot to my apartment complex filled with RV trailers and semi trucks. I was annoyed because I couldn't park in my normal place, and couldn't figure out what the heck they were all doing there. The next morning my husband woke me up all excited and said "I just saw Matthew Broderick walk out of his trailer!!!!" It seems they were using an apartment in the same complex to film a scene (which ended up getting cut, snap). My husband called in sick to work that morning so he could stand at our bedroom window and watch the action, lol.

Also during the filming of that same movie, the school used in the movie was Papillion/LaVista and several students that worked at the McDonalds I managed that went to that school were used as extras.

I also have a cool, albeit minor, connection to Hollywood through my dad. He was in the Air Force band at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL in the early 1950's. Also in the band with him was a good friend of his named Kenny Wannberg, who later went on to become a prominent composer of film scores and worked as the music editor on several big movies - he worked on almost every film Steven Spielberg ever released until his retirement a few years ago. He also did all the Star Wars movies with Lucas, and I think two of the Harry Potter movies. Kenny and my dad have remained friends all these years and still communicate on a regular basis.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Got you all beat!

My Dad got me Telly Savalas' autography at a golf tournament in the early 70's, and I saw Rula Lenska in Soho in London once a long time ago. And, living in Scotland, I was only a couple hour's drive away from the cast of Rob Roy.

Read it and weep. :p

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Indiana Jones

I was thrilled to spend one day on the set of Indiana Jones while they were filming in New Haven, CT. I drove my grandfather's car, a maroon 1948 Plymouth two door coupe, in the traffic of one chase scene. Another scene will show the car up better (hopefully for more than a millisecond). It is parked in the first space alongside a church. It was a beautiful summer's day and the scene looked good in real time, so I cannot imagine how much better it will appear through the camera's eye. There will be a '53 yellow Chrysler convertible parked in front of the church. I'd like to thank whoever made the decision to place my grandfather's car in the first parking space. I suspect the color contrast between the yellow and maroon had a lot to do with it.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Hoosiers and Eight Men Out

Both filmed in Indianapolis/central Indiana; I spent time doing both when they were there. More details later if anyone wants to hear them, just say so. Gotta hit the sack; getting up at 2:30 AM for a job in Charlottesville, Va.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I responded to this one earlier, but I forgot about this little item. I had a second-hand brush with some Golden Era fame:

I graduated from college at Eastern New Mexico University in the late 80's. The Chair of the English Dept. there was one Dr. Patrice Caldwell. She was terrific to work with and beloved by students. She served as my de facto undergraduate advisor, sponsor of the Round Table Writers Guild along with Dr. Jack Williamson and was just generally a swell member of the faculty. I even had the chance to meet her twin sister at one point.

One of the things I learned about Dr. Caldwell, aside from the fact that she had a twin sister, is that her mother was still living in Los Angeles and "had done some acting". It seems she started as a child in the 30's and at one point made a little movie that I had actually seen -- Yankee Doodle Dandy which starred James Cagney.

She worked under the name "Joan Leslie" and played Mary, the wife of George M. Cohan ("Her name was Mary, Mary. Plain as any name can be....").

I recently returned to school at Eastern and once again Dr. Caldwell, now Executive Director of Strategic Planning, was kind enough to hand carry me through enrollment. Bless her.

At any rate, I just remembered this thread and decided to look "Joan Leslie" up in the imdb. Turns out she had quite a career. Was in movies like High Sierra, The Wagons Roll at Night, and has a star on the Walk of Fame.

IMDB.com entry for Joan Leslie

A little biographical info that mentions my friend Dr. Caldwell.

Marl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80