Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's my barber shop. Virtually unchanged in quite a while.

P1060251.jpg

P1060252.jpg

To give context- that's it in the left of the frame.
P1060256.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
"Taper Fade" hairstyle

While many associate what's called the ''taper fade'' hairstyle with modern rap/hip hop culture, I've found that the hairstyle--or at least a hairstyle very similar--goes back to at least the 1910-1930s. Take these three pictoral examples taken in the 1930s--One is of the famed Public Enemy John Dillinger, the other of a young Harry Truman, and the last is of my grandfather taken in 1934:

You can see both men have the top of their heads grown naturally and the sides and back shaved--Very similar to the modern taper fade except their hair is longer on top.
dillinger_john_mugshot_high.jpg

0291_lg.jpg

save00202.jpg

Example of a modern fade haircut variation:
0.jpg

EDIT: SORRY, MERGE WITH HAIR CUT THREAD PLEASE

mattfink

Practically Family
Pardon me, but is that Oprah Winfrey on the TV? JESUS! What kind of barber would have that on in his shop? LOL!!! Nice place otherwise.

Doug C

Practically Family
repeatclicks said:
A confident one.
must be .... 'cause I agree with Mattfink, and there is no way in heck I could sit through that show no matter how bad I needed my hair cut. But yea, otherwise it seems like a very cool joint.

Doug C

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
Doran, the Oster seems to be great for this, as far as I know. It is a totally different experience than the Wahl, the motor purrs at a totally different rate. There are no plastic guards, but rather changeable metal attachments. The metal heats up when in use, which is nice against the scalp when you're getting whitewalls.

9760_full.jpg

On the subject of the Oster clippers being a vintage type clippers, the barber in this 1959 clip seems to be using an Oster or equivalent judging by the barrel shape of the machine:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvKxn987Ycs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvKxn987Ycs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. 'H' said:
On the subject of the Oster clippers being a vintage type clippers, the barber in this 1959 clip seems to be using an Oster or equivalent judging by the barrel shape of the machine:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvKxn987Ycs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvKxn987Ycs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Mr. 'H', did you get my PM about the Oster 97?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Just back from the barbershop, and my barber was trying out his latest addition to the arsenal of clippers. This one had a 00005 setting which I think is tighter than the Oster. It had an inusual chrome "beak" but the familiar vintage barrel shape.

Judging by the literature (warranty, instructions) I thought it looked 40s/50s. It does have "Made in Germany" as opposed to "Made in West Germany."

What do y'all think?

0293390e.jpg

20f011f5.jpg

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
40's Men's hairstyles?

Hello,

I was wondering about MENS hairstyles in the 40's and how to do them... [huh]
I am old styled in everything from suits, ties, hats and alot more so I thought what the heck try a 40's hairstyle... are all the hairstyles for men in the 40's the same; "Short, Sharp, & Back"?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SH, here's what I do; I found a barber that will listen to my instructions so it works out pretty good. I grow the hair on the top of my head long - long enough that when I pull it forward, it's down to at least the tip of my nose. When longer, prior to a haircut, it will touch my top lip. I ask the barber not to cut length from the top but to cut the sides shorter, tapering to the top of the ear and the same with the back.

Immediately after a haircut, for a couple of weeks, I can slick it right back, with or without a center part. As it grows between haircuts I tend not to slick it but mousse it so it stays back (more on the sides than the top). The top being longer will tend to fly forward as the day goes on - sometimes with a Clark Gable kind of panache, sometimes with fly-away abandon. Some spray on top helps contol it.

The best presentation of this type of haircut is Brendan Fraser in his 'Mummy' movies. Google image him here: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=brendan%20fraser%20mummy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Hope that helps. From my head to yours!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart