Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
SH, here's what I do; I found a barber that will listen to my instructions so it works out pretty good. I grow the hair on the top of my head long - long enough that when I pull it forward, it's down to at least the tip of my nose. When longer, prior to a haircut, it will touch my top lip. I ask the barber not to cut length from the top but to cut the sides shorter, tapering to the top of the ear and the same with the back.

Immediately after a haircut, for a couple of weeks, I can slick it right back, with or without a center part. As it grows between haircuts I tend not to slick it but mousse it so it stays back (more on the sides than the top). The top being longer will tend to fly forward as the day goes on - sometimes with a Clark Gable kind of panache, sometimes with fly-away abandon. Some spray on top helps contol it.

The best presentation of this type of haircut is Brendan Fraser in his 'Mummy' movies. Google image him here: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=brendan%20fraser%20mummy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Hope that helps. From my head to yours!

-dixon cannon
I thought It was short all around.. well I still might need some convinceing to grow it to my nose in the front.... Maby I'll do It to my eye brow or a little bigger. I have short hair about 3 or 4cm..... so to get it to stay back I have to slick it back... if it is longer in the front is it easier? [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
I thought It was short all around

As can be seen in the portraits on the site Paul linked to, many men in the forties actually had a good deal of length on the top and sides, though it was almost always trimmed closely at the ears and neck.

Warren William is one extreme example; he actually wore something close to a 1950s DA in the 1930s and '40s -- very long on the top and sides, but slicked back.

warrenwilliam.jpg

Chainsaw

Suspended
In the early ninties(high school) there was a style that was popular, it was called the "Flip cut". Basically you would grow your bangs long, and have the rest of your head shaved/clipped. :p

When I asked my Italian hairdresser to cut it like that, she showed me a picture of her grandfather (or father) who had had it cut like that in the WWII. ;)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
StetsonHomburg said:
I thought It was short all around.. well I still might need some convinceing to grow it to my nose in the front.... Maby I'll do It to my eye brow or a little bigger. I have short hair about 3 or 4cm..... so to get it to stay back I have to slick it back... if it is longer in the front is it easier? [huh]

Re the Brendan Fraser cut: Keep in mind, when combing forward to create a center part, all that hair will come to the tip of his nose. It appears shorter once parted and combed back. When it falls forward on its own, it comes to his eyebrows. If you do cut it too short, it will tend to stand up straight - but - it'll grow and you'll find the proper length for your head and face. Hope that clarifies the issue.

-dixon cannon

Scotus

One of the Regulars
StetsonHomburg said:
Long on top is correct. My own hair, when combed straight down comes to the end of my nose in front. The hair has to be long enough to sweep back. Just look at the many photos in this thread and you'll see this is the case. It sounds like you have a bit of a wait before it gets that long though. :)

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
Re the Brendan Fraser cut: Keep in mind, when combing forward to create a center part, all that hair will come to the tip of his nose. It appears shorter once parted and combed back. When it falls forward on its own, it comes to his eyebrows. If you do cut it too short, it will tend to stand up straight - but - it'll grow and you'll find the proper length for your head and face. Hope that clarifies the issue.

-dixon cannon

Thanks for clearing that up... I'm going to do it nex time I go to the barber then. :D

repeatclicks

Practically Family
mattfink said:
You must have never seen that show....do they air it in the UK?

Haha yeah. But any barber who is bold enough to play that stuff in his shop has got to be good at cutting hair!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
As requested, I am posting my new haircut here. I went into the barber and basically asked for a traditional haircut in medium short length, with no more specifications than that.

Photo45.jpg

By the way, for anyone in the area, if you want a basic, straightforward haircut, Brian's Barbershop by the Silver Spring Metro station is very good.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Yeps, that is a very classic looking hair cut. With the new hair cut and the cloths you're wearing in the photo, you look like you might be off to an excavation in 1930s Egypt or Mesopotamia. It's a very good look.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Kevin Costner cut

Speaking of cuts, can you barber-types give me an idea whit type of cut this is that Kevin Costner (as Thomas J. Murphy) is sporting in 3000 Miles to Graceland? Minus the mutton chops, I'm liking this (I can't grow sideburns anyway)...I usually wear a flat top, but this style has a bit more emphasis to the front...I'm going to see my local barber tomorrow, and would like an idea of what to tell him to do to achieve this....

graceland.jpg

914991.jpg

I'm diggin' Kurt Russel's 'do also, but I don't have that much damn hair....:rolleyes:
Rob

Mario

I'll Lock Up
This is mine at the moment. The last time I went to the barber she took away a bit too much above the ears, much to my dismay, leaving out the taper. Communication breakdown, I guess... :eek:

I generally do not part my hair and I usually finger-comb the final touches.

hatless_01.jpg

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Lookin' Good

Right smart cut. Looks great with your face and features. You wear it well.

Yeps said:
As requested, I am posting my new haircut here. I went into the barber and basically asked for a traditional haircut in medium short length, with no more specifications than that.

Photo45.jpg

By the way, for anyone in the area, if you want a basic, straightforward haircut, Brian's Barbershop by the Silver Spring Metro station is very good.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mario said:
This is mine at the moment. The last time I went to the barber she took away a bit too much above the ears, much to my dismay, leaving out the taper. Communication breakdown, I guess... :eek:

I generally do not part my hair and I usually finger-comb the final touches.

hatless_01.jpg
It looks fine-it's tapered to my eye and in my opinion even too long around the ears, not short.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Mario said:

I do hate when that happens. It then leaves you thinking, Okay, now how long will it take this to grow out...

It does look good, but if it's not what you wanted and you think it's too short, it can be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart