Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You need to comb the sides back instead of straight down. The cut looks lifeless otherwise. Maybe ask your barber / stylist to taper the sides a bit as well.

That's pretty difficult for me to do, as my side hairs are short now. I find that combing the sides back is easier when I do a slick-back, and not a side-part, actually.

Hey The Good, what kind of product does your barber put in your hair?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Actually, I'm sure he used a type of gel, but I don't know the name of it. I did wash my hair later to apply Brylcreem instead, but the gel wasn't all that hard-feeling. It wasn't very pliable to comb hair with, though, which I usually do when I go to the bathroom to fix things up a little. For months, I have always been carrying a pocket comb with me at all times...

Jan

One of the Regulars
It's all about the technique, to comb your hair towards the back.

Not so it's parallel to the floor, but so it's not going straight down. When my hair is short, it fluffs up. But I can still get my hair to comb in that direction.

It'll really make a huge difference the way you want your hairstyle to look. As do sharp parts.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Here's a few pictures with my haircut in detail:

Photoon2010-11-17at1918.jpg

Photoon2010-11-17at19182.jpg

Photoon2010-11-17at1922.jpg

Should I go with another style next time, or is "The Professional" workin' out OK?

It looks good... I would get the back and the sides tapered down low and on the sides comb them back more.. nice shine though, what product did you use?

repeatclicks

Practically Family

That's pretty difficult for me to do, as my side hairs are short now. I find that combing the sides back is easier when I do a slick-back, and not a side-part, actually.

They don't need to be super long, it is the cut that makes the difference. You need to ask for a short back and sides. How short you ask for the back and sides to be is your call, but pretty short with the clippers is best. Some people like to wear it to the skin, but to me it comes off looking too rockabilly.

I wear mine with a part every day and get the sides to slick back no problem.

Vinnie pin stripes

New in Town
I have the barber in my hometown (less then 1500 people) cut mine he is old school. Very short on the sides and somewhat long on top so it can be parted or just slicked back as so many did in the 30's. Alberto Vo5 work very well on your hair but it can be somewhat greasy.
Joe

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've got a question about bristle hair brushes. What type of hair, style, etc are they best for? I recieved a pair of vintage brushes with soft bristles, and they don't seem to work with my hair. My hair is somewhat fine but fairly thick (except at the back). I don't know if I'm using them wrong, or if I need a stiffer brush. If so, it's no big deal, the comb works fine and I'll move the brushes on.

secretchugalug

New in Town
First time poster guys. This thread has given me ALOT of useful information. Right now im not really sure what im doing with my hair im just growing it out. I may get the sides tapered in and leave the top long. Hear is a frontal shot with the sides combed back and parted. Since I have a big forehead, the slick back looks ridiculous. Cheers!

Last edited:

Gunk

New in Town
I'm lost on haircuts. I usually get a Caeser or just a number 4 all around. I want something classic and that can be groomed neatly. What do I tell the barber?

Jan

One of the Regulars
Got a haircut last Friday.

The other day I decided to go a little more natural/50s. Tried and let the waves roll in.

9d6797ea.jpg

Not too bad, if I do say so myself.

Whoops, sorry for the huge picture.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm lost on haircuts. I usually get a Caeser or just a number 4 all around. I want something classic and that can be groomed neatly. What do I tell the barber?

For a number 4 all around tell the barber to have a nice day and get yourself a Wahl buzzer. Nothing is easier than giving yourself a haircut with one of these things. Been doing it myself for 15 years. It pays for itself after 2 haircuts.

Of course, if you enjoy the whole barber shop experience, then this wont be your cuppa tea.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Best example I've seen of the old time 'cut is in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

There's a scene where Bogart is in the barber shop and you get a real good look all 'round of the generic haircut of the period. If you could get the movie online or something and capture a still or two and take that to your barber....

What I also like about this scene is how Bogey's hat seems to be to a tad too large all of a sudden with all that hair gone from his scalp. An all too common experience... ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Here's what my hairdo looks like at the moment. It's already getting a bit too long in the back (and at the sides as well) and will need some retouching. Up until now I've always shied away from pomade and used a matt look hair wax from a local barber shop that's based on beeswax and silica but I'm planning to give Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin a try. For some reason I don't really like too much sheen in my hair.

hatless_05.jpg

Last edited:

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I've been thinking about getting a "Hitler-jugend" haircut. Basically it is back and sides cut short and hair longer on top. How would I explain that to my barber? I don't want her to start cutting a mohawk or something like that...
Maybe I should take a picture with me, but I haven't found a really good picture yet.

And I also got a guestion about pomades. What would you use of these: Murrays Original, Nu Nile or Dax Short and neat?
Those are the only ones I can get from a nearby hairstore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80