Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:arated:
I just hope you don't want it BECAUSE of the HJ.

I really don't see the need to describe it as such. Do you think it is much different from the "skin fade" or "white walls" or "short back and sides"

Ok you said you don't want a mohawk. Say you want an anti -mullet.:mullet:

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Well, most of the people seem to call it Hitler-Jugend, because the members of Hitler-Jugend had similar haircut and many other Germans during WWII also had it.

I also took a look at the pictures of "skin fade" and "white walls" they do differ from the "HJ". They seem to have pretty short hair all over(just a bit longer on top), but HJ has long hair on top. Short back and sides is a good way to call it, but would you call a mullet "long back, short everywhere else"?

Mulceber

Practically Family
I think you're forgetting that the mullet isn't named for a person responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people. People are saying you shouldn't go around describing it as a Hitler haircut because many would view it as you trying to emulate Hitler or the Hitler Youth. -M

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Yes, you are right(I am actually happy that I don't have much knowledge about mullets).

Well, if someone comes up with a better name for HJ, I will start using it. Calling it "short back and sides" sounds kinda weird, as this wil probablyl make many people think of a mohawk.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yes, you are right(I am actually happy that I don't have much knowledge about mullets).

Well, if someone comes up with a better name for HJ, I will start using it. Calling it "short back and sides" sounds kinda weird, as this wil probablyl make many people think of a mohawk.

That doesn't sound strange to me at all, and I don't think that anyone would mistake it for a mohawk.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Hey trenchguy not sure if you got the pomade question answered already or not.

In my opinion of those 3 Nu Nile is best as it should be easier to wash out and provides high shine with medium hold.

MA

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your answer to my pomade question. It just happened so that there was only Dax Short and Neat left and they had sold all Nu Nile and Murray's and they probably are never going to get them again, because they don't sell very well.

Too bad, because I think pomade beats gels, mousses, sprays etc. any day.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Hope it's not too expensive for you to get. It's pricey as it is here in the states. Unless Mr. Ducktail is stocking it.

Yeah its a bit pricey as I have to get it from the States (pomade-shop.de stocks it, but it is more expensive to get it from Germany than it is from the US).

I stopped going to Mr. Ducktail as I got fed up with the queues every time. I used to be able to walk in at 11 and be the first guy there. By the time I left, I had to get there by 10-10:15 and there was already at least 1-3 guys waiting.

He is a good hair stylist, but very slow (at least 45 mins per cut), so that means over half of my day was shot just getting a hair cut. He only sells his own-brand pomade, which was the best petrolatum based pomade I've ever used. Truly good stuff, but a seriously tiny tin. Its about 1/4 the size of any other pomade, and costs about $12. I think it costs like $15 per tin in the states, and you would run out about every 2 weeks. They won't change the size either, I've tried asking.

I ended up going to a guy that a lot of rockabillies went to before Mr. DT moved to London. I walk in and I'm out 20-40 minutes later and it only costs me £8.80 every time. He is 67 years old and always tells me about his cars and trips to Hawaii. Classic!

Jan

One of the Regulars
Jeeze, I knew Ducktail was popular, but not THAT popular. Does he set up appointments or is it first come first served?

What's his pomade brand labeled under? I remember seeing it in a video, but I can't recall the name or the video.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
So, I now have the "short back and sides" cut which is really nice. So, I was thinking, when the hair grows back to normal, my hair will be pretty long on top and normal on the sides and back.
So, isn't that the cut required for making a pompadour? I remember it is.

I might be styling a pompadour after my hair grows back.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Pretty much. It's more so about the styling than the haircut itself.

A lot of people with typical pompadours, have really long "bangs" and super short every where else. Where as I have my hair relatively long, gradually getting longer from the back to front. But not all that much noticeable. Pretty much like Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell.

It also depends on your technique. Some people have heavy hands when combing their hair, making their pompadours very stick straight with hard angles, and not very flow-y and full like a pompadour should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav