Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Ok..here are the pics I promised. Combed back with a little shellac.
img2505x.jpg

img2509o.jpg

By the end of the workday she starts to fall, Cab Calloway style.
img2511th.jpg

And these will help explain the cut, very long on top and short on the sides. Before the water and Shellac.
Also explains why I wear a hat most of the time!
img2504x.jpg

img2503o.jpg

That's a good look! These pictures would actually be good for someone to show their barber/stylist to explain a classic hairstyle. I know there is a "short back and sides" sheet reproduced in this thread, but your progression of photos here really helps to show the nuts and bolts of this cut, imo.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
When I do go to the barber I usually lightly damp clean hair and comb it back like the uppermost photos. I'll have him blend up the sides from very short above the ears but not past an imaginary side part. And of course there's a bit of a shelf at the back but none of the hair on top is cut much, or at all, above this shelf. I've seen this a lot in the old black and whites, leading man in a bit of a tussle, shakes a few curls loose and I'm surprised how long his hair is. Cab Calloway is a great example and I've tried to recreate that look.
img2506xe.jpg

img2508c.jpg

img2501i.jpg

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars

I actually found Tipton by chance three or four years ago. I walked in to Rudy's one day, and I just happened to get him. He's really fantastic. I used him exclusively for a while.

For the past year or so, though, I've been going to Sweeny Todd's. All three barbers there are great, and you really can't beat a straight-razor shave. I think I just prefer the atmosphere there to Rudy's.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
This is all somewhat interesting (if not a little gross); however, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with "Hair cuts," which is the topic of this thread. ;)

Scotus, It has everything to do with hair cuts/hairstyle, especially the classic short haircut.

Men's style cuts in the golden era were in part a result of convienence, easy care, to keep it neat and clean. There are a lot of guys, especially on this forum, who try to emulate that certain short, slick 1920's/1930's 'look'.

All I am describing is the process a lot of guys used before the advent of a consumable industry whose product essentially extracts (shampoo) all the natural oils from your hair the body produces for the hair, and then replaces the natural process with chemical combinations (gels/hair tonics, etc) that try to recreate the richness the shampoo's extracted.

I'm not suggesting one never use shampoo, I use it every so often - and if you have a lot of hair, thick hair, long, oily, whatever, then hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

However, I get my haircut from a barber whose had his shop since the mid fifties, he was trained by guys who cut hair in the thirties. He gives me the cut he's been giving for 50 years. And I have the natural richness so many people duplicate with gels.

But that is my situation, I have short and very fine hair, my using shampoo every day literally takes the life out of my hair.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
That's real shellac, Bourne ID?
What's your hair get like after putting that in?
Not really shellac! It just rhymed with "back"!! In the picture I only had just soaked it down with warm water after the bottom photos. If I'm going out I'll use any ol hair gel to keep her wet and in place. Brylcreme works well enough.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I actually found Tipton by chance three or four years ago. I walked in to Rudy's one day, and I just happened to get him. He's really fantastic. I used him exclusively for a while.

For the past year or so, though, I've been going to Sweeny Todd's. All three barbers there are great, and you really can't beat a straight-razor shave. I think I just prefer the atmosphere there to Rudy's.

Hey Cumberworth, any chance of you posting pics of your haircut from a few different angles? It always looks so perfect in the pics you post on the suit threads.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Lest anyone get the impression from my pictures above that I've got tame hair, I post these pictures of my coif first thing in the morning. I swear I don't sleep in curlers!! Morning ritual consist of soaking my head in the sink with warm water to relax that thing on top! Followed by a vigorous towel dry and a good shake out, then I pull on a winter stocking hat, to flatten it all out, for about two hours. By then I've made it to work and it's time to either "shellac it back" or try another hat, usually the latter.
img2573a.jpg

img2571t.jpg

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Lest anyone get the impression from my pictures above that I've got tame hair, I post these pictures of my coif first thing in the morning. I swear I don't sleep in curlers!! Morning ritual consist of soaking my head in the sink with warm water to relax that thing on top! Followed by a vigorous towel dry and a good shake out, then I pull on a winter stocking hat, to flatten it all out, for about two hours. By then I've made it to work and it's time to either "shellac it back" or try another hat, usually the latter.
img2573a.jpg

img2571t.jpg

Have you ever tried to style it while it's still curly? I think those slick, wavy hairstyles from the 40s look fantastic, and I wish I could figure out how to do it. Unfortunately, my hair is just too fine and straight for me to have any success on that front.

Here's a (dreadfully small) photo of Dana Andrews to illustrate somewhat:

Dana_Andrews_2_150.jpg

Last edited:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
My hair is very fine so once any water, or any product, is introduced it relaxes and lays straight. If I just use water to comb it into place, as it dries it tightens up into the Shirley Temple ringlets you see there. And never the same way twice!! Thank God for hats!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old haircutter hired her niece (I got moved to a couple new cutters after she became more well-known and could make more running the shop, doing perms & dye jobs than she could from mens haircuts. I'd used the last cutter for about 4 years, but she moved to another shop about 20 minutes away and since being there, the last 2 appointments out of 5 have been rescheduled with no notice (like I walk in and get "Oh, didn't she get ahold of you?"). So I'm going to try "the new guy" who has a 30s barber chair, plasma screen running 30s-40s movies (or football if you prefer) and also does straight-razor shaves. I think I'll go for something shorter and classic, something I can slick down if I want. We'll see how it goes...

NW Trojan

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me the name of a good OTC hair straightener? I have fairly thick, 4" wavy hair that I gel down and slick back. When it's combed out dry, it's a ridiculously ugly front wave. I'd occasionally like it straight when dry. It would be too easy to get it professionally straightened...

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
img2573a.jpg

Man, impressive hair you have.. I would try to style those curls ... here's a cat that comes to mind:

jerry-lee-lewis-0110-lg.jpg

Jerry%20Lee%20Lewis_JPG.jpg

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Scotus, It has everything to do with hair cuts/hairstyle, especially the classic short haircut.

Men's style cuts in the golden era were in part a result of convienence, easy care, to keep it neat and clean. There are a lot of guys, especially on this forum, who try to emulate that certain short, slick 1920's/1930's 'look'.

All I am describing is the process a lot of guys used before the advent of a consumable industry whose product essentially extracts (shampoo) all the natural oils from your hair the body produces for the hair, and then replaces the natural process with chemical combinations (gels/hair tonics, etc) that try to recreate the richness the shampoo's extracted.

I'm not suggesting one never use shampoo, I use it every so often - and if you have a lot of hair, thick hair, long, oily, whatever, then hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

However, I get my haircut from a barber whose had his shop since the mid fifties, he was trained by guys who cut hair in the thirties. He gives me the cut he's been giving for 50 years. And I have the natural richness so many people duplicate with gels.

But that is my situation, I have short and very fine hair, my using shampoo every day literally takes the life out of my hair.

I suppose you're right, but I'm a bit of a clean freak, so the thought of not washing hair regularly is abhorrant to me (no offense intended to you personally)! :D

Last edited:

Scotus

One of the Regulars
img2573a.jpg

Wow! Would not have guessed from your earlier photos!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I suppose you're right, but I'm a bit of a clean freak, so the thought of not washing hair regularly is abhorrant to me (no offense intended to you personally)! :D
I can only make it about a week without using shampoo,shorter if I use hair gels, my scalp gets too itchy to go any longer. I hate the way my hair gets the day after a shampooing, very dry and frizzy, after a few days is looks much healthier. It does get a rinsing and vigorous finger scrubbing every day while showering but no suds.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I may be getting a hair cut tomorrow. The barber I go to has a chart of different hairstyles like the one below:

6a00e55127ad35883301348584a710970c-800wi

Any suggestions as to what I should be after this time? Last time I got "The Professional" style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav