Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Fascinators

roselily

One of the Regulars
not sure what this is called. A bride wore it at a wedding last night- I'd love to find something similar in purple for the wedding I'm in next month.

Help?

IMG_0946-1.jpg
[/IMG]

SayCici

Practically Family
It looks like some sort of feather, silk flower and bead arrangement on a hair comb - basically, a fascinator. Try searching etsy! Here are the names of a few great shops that make those types of hair accessories: Lo Boheme, bridalcouture, portobello, hairfascinators, whichgoose, batcakes couture, 5eizen...

If you don't find something you like in those shops or from your own search, you can create an alchemy request (on Etsy).

roselily

One of the Regulars
tell me what you think of this hairtoy?

RB224_3_LRG.jpg

I think this looks rather 1930's inspired, but I might be mixing my eras. Thoughts? I'm thinking of it for the wedding.

zendy

A-List Customer
it is quite beautiful and has a classic look. I think it could fit into a few eras if added to the right hair style.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I think it's beautiful! And yes, do look on etsy. I bought a gorgeous fascinator for a Mardi Gras benefit earlier this year and I got so many compliments on it. I believe the seller was Boring Sydney. In a pinch, you could make one yourself. Most supplies can be found at any craft store.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Does anyone know- is the term "hair fascinator" a modern term? I've never come across them in vintage books, but maybe I'm not looking at the right era. I always just thought they were called "veils" or "combs". I do like the term, though- it is really pretty.

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Does anyone know- is the term "hair fascinator" a modern term? I've never come across them in vintage books, but maybe I'm not looking at the right era. I always just thought they were called "veils" or "combs". I do like the term, though- it is really pretty.

Great question, Lauren - and Wikipedia led me to an answer. According to Elaine Higgleton, the term "fascinator" used to mean a veil or headshawl. It fell into disuse in the 70's and was resurrected a few years back in it's modern context.

Here's a knitting pattern for an 1884 fascinator pattern.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Actually, now that you mention it, I have seen it in Victorian context about evening head dress! Thanks so much, Snookie- that was really informative! Glad I know now- it's been in the back of my mind for a while.

clubwitsend

Practically Family

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I like to experiment and make my own. Once you find out how much the raw materials cost, it's hurts to pay certain prices for them. But if I needed something on short notice I'd probably buy one. There are some great crafters out there!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

Who wears flowers, bows, and other pretties in their hair?

I have a collection of bows in every colour, and have taken to making my own flowers. I saw this one in Vintage Hairstyling - Isn't it exquisite? Everything on that site is beautiful, but kind of overpriced...

These are two of my favourites. The bow was $8.00, the peony was $3.00:

HairBaubles.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Here's a fascinator I made for the Shag Jam this year, cost under $10. 1 pearl headband, 3 feathers hotglued together, 1 floral do-dad from the wedding section at Michaels. I used white wire to attach the feather mess to the headband, far less messy than trying hotglue the whole thing to the headband.

Took me about 1.5 hours to make (went through a few versions of the feathers, kept trying it on for placement as I went...)

4056554563_1a8b3b29e5_o.jpg

4057293564_ca58dc5af4_m.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
Are fascinators vintage correct though? What periods? Any pictures?

I tend to avoid them as they seem a bit Burlesque 101 to me. But I might e being a massive snob. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn