Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween Costumes

Edward

Bartender
$ally said:
Dang, you do a good Frank.

Thank-you! I can't take any credit for the costume, as it was professionally custom made for me, but I certainly enjoy wearing it. No matter how long I'm involved in this game, it never ceases to surprise me the reaction that costume gets from women. I've certainly never been mobbed as me! ;)

Rockapin-up said:
There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing a guy with nicer legs than me lol :rage: lol

Ah, pschaw. If your legs are as fabulous as the rest of you is in your avatar photo, I'm certainly no competition for you!

zaika said:
amen to that!! lol also applies to nicer hair, too.

Wouldn't have anything to worry about from me, then.... the only hair you're likely to see on my head these days is usually nylon. lol

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Seeing as money is tight this year I wanted go with something from my own closet, so I decided to be a flapper. But after watching Chicago recently, I'm going more for that 20's look...BUT then the dress I had didn't quite work so now I'm making my own dress, my party is on Friday so I'll post pictures then.

I'm going on a hayride/haunted corn maze on Saturday BEFORE another party and we were all going to dress up, but I don't want to ruin my dress. I was thinking about just wearing this baggy sleeve purple shirt with a corset and tight black pants and going as a "pirate"? I'll post pictures of that too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
This guy right here.

706518364_1e01c1ccce.jpg
So have I got it?
1676234562_79ac1bb32b.jpg

griffer

Practically Family
Well, the Blade Runer thing didn't come together in time or under budget, so we will be packing some old costumes as back ups.

Our main costume will be a Dia de los Muertos thing.

My wife found some fantastic dresses, and I am still questing for an old tux and frilly shirt.

Edward

Bartender
Romero-style zombies (circa the original Night of the Living Dead, or even the original Dawn of the Dead) are dead easy to put together on a budget.... I've seen some stunningly accurate recreations of specific zombies in the movies put together for minimal outlay; something in the same vein is very easy. A bit of body paint or powder to make you look greener, some fake blood round the mouth, a few old clothes and you're away!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I am going to be a 1940's Cigarette Girl. For work I am going to be a Bobby Soxer. I have a 40's plaid dress and I am going to put my hair in victory rolls and pigtails. If I can't find a Frank Sinatra record (from the 40's) to carry then I will carry my 1940's song magazine with Frank on the cover. I am sure that no one at work will even know I am wearing a costume.

swankysister

New in Town
Edward, your Jack Skellington costume was brilliant. :eusa_clap (And I loved the other fellow's Shaun of The Dead costume too).

For anyone wanting a dash of realism for their fake blood, add one drop of blue paint or food colouring to any red paint/food colouring you are using. :)

Jovan

Suspended
Swankysister: I find green actually works better. Blood can have an orange tint in certain light... believe me, I know. :whistling

Edward: Were you in that production? You certainly should have been. The costume design looks great, very '50s unlike the movie. (Unless I really missed something... I went to one of the midnight Rocky Horror Picture Shows in NYC one time.)

Fletch: Where's the moustache? Are you afraid people will call you Hitler? That's certainly understandable... everyone associates it with Adolf even though it was a fairly common style back then.

$ally

One Too Many
Edward said:
Romero-style zombies (circa the original Night of the Living Dead, or even the original Dawn of the Dead) are dead easy to put together on a budget.... I've seen some stunningly accurate recreations of specific zombies in the movies put together for minimal outlay; something in the same vein is very easy. A bit of body paint or powder to make you look greener, some fake blood round the mouth, a few old clothes and you're away!
Yes, the zombie thing is very easy and can be combined with most any other costume-- any era or profession. There is a change back to the old scary and/or creative costumes, thankfully. Less of the skimpy partycity.com and spirithalloween.com assembly line (what kind of sluz should we dress like this year?)

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
My friends and I did halloween last weekend because of a wedding that's this weekend. I'm a little short on funds right now...so this was my $15 costume:
heidigolightly.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Well I stuck to my guns (pun intended) and put together a Lobster Johnson costume. It only took a month and a half, and I won't tell you how much I spent either. This is probably to most elaborate costume of a character that hardly anyone will know that I've ever made. A photographer friend is taking some better photos tomorrow, but here is a shot my wife took last week an an early party.
JMS-LJ-RTs.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
$ally said:
Less of the skimpy partycity.com and spirithalloween.com assembly line (what kind of sluz should we dress like this year?)

I hate these costumes more than anything in the world! We go through the costume stores just to laught at the prepackaged sexy _______ (insert occupation here) costumes. Hubby and I joke that we're going to start our own line of costumes with ridiculous juxtapositions like sexy hobo and sexy barbershop quartet. lol

Edward

Bartender
Mr Stovall, I'm not familiar with the character, but it's obvious you've put a lot of work into it and it looks like a superb costume. I'm all for doing costumes that other folks won't necessarily recognise.... Maybe next year I'm going to do Rorshak. We'll see. This year's costume is finally coming together. I'm doing Edward Scissorhands, but for reasons of time and budget, I'm doing him in the white shirt / grey trousers look that he sports when the family take him in and dress him up. I bought a cheap shirt a couple of sizes too big and a pair of trousers ditto. Got the clip on braces - still have to snip those on the correct side and fasten on the safety pins. I feel I cheated a bit by buying the wig and the hands.... The wig is a very accurate looking version of his hair and pretty good quality-wise (unusual in my experience for official merchandise, which is generall pretty crappy). Wigs is wigs, really. Where I really cheated was in buying an official pair of gloves, but they are better than probably anything I could have made. The secret is to buy the deluxe version. The blades on the regular ones are made of foam and cheap and nasty looking. On the deluxe they're hard plastic, and probably better than most of what could be made at home. The gloves they are attached to are a bit thin, but they'll do the job - ditton the foam "metal" plates on them. I think when in the future I come to revisit this costume, I might do a bit of work with the gloves, taking the blades from these ones and attaching them to a better quality glove - maybe a form fitting leather. A bike gove with plastic plates on the rear that could be painted to look metallic would possibly be ideal.

Costume comes out Sunday night - photos to follow!

fatwoul said:
Looking good, Ed. Have a good Rocky season. :)

Thanks - and you. :)

Ms. McGraw said:
My friends and I did halloween last weekend because of a wedding that's this weekend. I'm a little short on funds right now...so this was my $15 costume:
heidigolightly.jpg

You look fantastic! Sometimes the best costumes are the ones that are put together with creative use of your own wardrobe. :)

$ally said:
Yes, the zombie thing is very easy and can be combined with most any other costume-- any era or profession. There is a change back to the old scary and/or creative costumes, thankfully. Less of the skimpy partycity.com and spirithalloween.com assembly line (what kind of sluz should we dress like this year?)

Absolutely. I love it too when people put something together for themselves, even it doesn't really look like anything, it's so much more fun than seeing hundred of identikit commerciall mass-produced items. Okay, so some of us probably go for something a bit more elaborate than the average person might attempt, but still. I think moat folks just don't realise they can do something great quite easily. Now, I probably did spend GBP100 or so on my Jack Skellington (£40 of that was on the fabric paint!), but the point is it was crazy easy to do (just took a long time), anyone could have physically done it if they'd had the idea, and by the time you buy all sort of bits for an official costume (and the bits that it doesn't come with, like a piar of black trews or whatever), it's not far off doing your own costume anyhow.... which will look better.....

Jovan said:
Swankysister: I find green actually works better. Blood can have an orange tint in certain light... believe me, I know. :whistling

Green? Bloody Vulcans.

Edward: Were you in that production? You certainly should have been.

Very flattering thank-you - I wish! No, that was the official UK touring production that ran March 2006-July2007 - the photo was actually taken in June 07 in Salford, Greater Manchester. Like most / many Rocky audience members over here, I habitually attend the show in full costume, either one of several from the film, or an approximation of the stage costumes.

The costume design looks great, very '50s unlike the movie. (Unless I really missed something... I went to one of the midnight Rocky Horror Picture Shows in NYC one time.)

Uhm...... it's a screen-accurate copy of the one in the movie.... lol I don't know who you would have seen as Frank in the NYC cast (depends how recently it was too - most of the guys I'm aware of in that cast are fairly new. Mad Man Mike's still hanging on in there for what must be nearing 25 years now - longest serving shadow cast member I'm aware of).... if you caught a still very new Frank, maybe their costume was a little different, that's what you're thinknig of? What I used to wear before I got that one was really pretty awful....all costumes regularly worn evolve, I guess!

Fletch: Where's the moustache? Are you afraid people will call you Hitler? That's certainly understandable... everyone associates it with Adolf even though it was a fairly common style back then.

Adolf Elizabeth Hitler..... lol

These days you could never go out dressed as Hitler. I remember when the Singalonga Sound of Music thang first started in London (they used to go on right before Rocky Horror), a few folks showed up one night dressed in full on black SS uniform. They'd come on the tube like that! :eek: I'm not into getting too precious about these things (sometimes you only give a symbol power over you by letting it be too much of a taboo), but really, ya got to draw the line somewhere.... I don't think London has seen the like since the days when Keith Moon thought it was a laugh to wander into a Jewish area dressed as SS. Back in the late 60s, though, when my mother was at University on Belfast, one of her classmates was a certain Nick Ross whom UK FL'ers will know from such wholesome fare as the BBC's Crimewatch. One Rag Day he dressed as Hitler and stood on the balcony of the student's union buildsing, giving the full on Hitler performance, the Seig Heil salute and all, for the passing cars on the busy road below. Seems unbelievable in today's world, somehow.

swankysister said:
Edward, your Jack Skellington costume was brilliant. :eusa_clap (And I loved the other fellow's Shaun of The Dead costume too).

Thanks - I intend to reprise Jack for Christmas, though I'm hoping to get the Santa version together this time. Shaun was fantastic - a costume I want to do myself at some point. It was really the detail that made it - the red on the shirt and so on. The badge was superb - he found a scan of the original on the web, printed it out and laminated it. Looks fantastic. :)

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Thanks Edward and Josephine! I can't take credit for the hair...my best friend did it. She comes from a long line of ladies with big ol' teased up do's!

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
BeBopBaby said:
I hate these costumes more than anything in the world! We go through the costume stores just to laught at the prepackaged sexy _______ (insert occupation here) costumes. Hubby and I joke that we're going to start our own line of costumes with ridiculous juxtapositions like sexy hobo and sexy barbershop quartet. lol

My roommate (who is a dude) is going as "Sleazy Kyle", he's wearing cut off jeans and tucking his wifebeater into the neck making it like a belly shirt. When girls ask what he is I told him to say "sleazier then you!"

Showing SOME skin if fine, but PLEASE PLEASE don't do it out of a package! At least be a little more creative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis