Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween Costumes

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
EXCELLENT!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I think you two have already won the FL Halloween Costume Contest! What event will you be wearing them to? How are your children going to be dressed up this year?

With all due respect to your wife Panache, and this coming from a wife herself... -you look hot, Sir.;)

Panache said:
My lovely wife and I finished up our Halloween costumes for this year and yesterday we did a small photo shoot of us in our outfits. I thought I would share a few pictures of us as Macbeth and Lady Macbeth

DSC00791.jpg
Cheers Jamie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last year I wanted to be Marlene Dietrich in top hat and tails, but my hubby said it could possibly have not so good connotations (I do live in the CA Bay Area), and where we would be going (favorite for many years ballroom dancing place) no would probably get it.

This year with getting into vintage clothing and the whole vintage scene I just gotta do it! I've already got vintage mens' 30s tuxedo trousers that I had altered to fit my figure perfectly. I can borrow my husband's tail coat - it fits pretty well except for the coat sleeves being a bit long- and also wear his shirt, vest and studs set. I have my own real silk collapsible top hat that I got in 1988. Very Fred Astaire! Though I'll probably wear my black ballroom pumps instead of mens' tux shoes. I just need a vintage looking cigarette holder!

marlene25.jpg
fasl01_tuxedo.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
I think we have an obvious cutural difference here between the UK and the USA: over here Hallowe'en costumes are almost always directly horror film related whereas I'm guessing on the other side of the Atlantic you have all sorts of costumes.

we have all sorts of costumes, however I think a lot of it depends on age and gender, I know my friends and I wanted to get scary when we were ten and never really wanted to stop after that, but I could be wrong.

"Green Fedora"

New in Town
"The Green Hornet"Costume

:D I go dressed as the 1966-1967 T.V."Green Hornet",I put it all together from scratch,except for the mask,gas gun,those I had to buy from an internet store,am waiting on a replica of the "Hornet Sting",which I also found online,to come in,hopefully before Halloween 2009.Many people know who I am dressed as at differant events I go to,goes to prove they still recall,remember,"The Green Hornet"!:eusa_clap

Panache

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
EXCELLENT!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I think you two have already won the FL Halloween Costume Contest! What event will you be wearing them to? How are your children going to be dressed up this year?

ChanteuseCarey,

You are far too kind

We are hosting a Shakespeare themed Halloween party for a group of friends.

Our wee daughter will be going as Ariel from The Tempest (a fairy costume with a lighted skirt basically).

Our son is going to be a Mad Scientist at school (Prospero maybe? :) )

I had a lot of fun making him a dust jacket for a book entitled "The Big Book of Secrets Man Was Not Meant to Know" for him to carrying around.

I look forward to seeing the pictures from your Marlena Dietrich outfit!

Happy Halloween

Cheers

Jamie

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wish I had photos scanned of some of my costumes from previous years - I love Halloween and take every opportunity to go all-out. I had an old boyfriend that loved to dress up as well and we always had a great deal of fun putting together costumes. One year we were Doc Holliday and a saloon girl, another year we went as Henry VIII and Anne Boleyne, and one year I went as Little Red Riding Hood and he was the wolf - he wore a long-sleeved flannel nightgown and frilly little cap, with wolf hands, ears, snout & full makeup. That one was a big hit. lol I'll have to look around at home and see if I can find any of the photos to scan.

My husband and I have gone as Lucy & Ricky, and Mulder & Scully from the X-Files. Both of those were my ideas as I'm a redhead and it makes things easy.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
These costumes sound GREAT fwgal!!

fortworthgal said:
I wish I had photos scanned of some of my costumes from previous years - I love Halloween and take every opportunity to go all-out. I had an old boyfriend that loved to dress up as well and we always had a great deal of fun putting together costumes. One year we were Doc Holliday and a saloon girl, another year we went as Henry VIII and Anne Boleyne, and one year I went as Little Red Riding Hood and he was the wolf - he wore a long-sleeved flannel nightgown and frilly little cap, with wolf hands, ears, snout & full makeup. That one was a big hit. lol I'll have to look around at home and see if I can find any of the photos to scan.

My husband and I have gone as Lucy & Ricky, and Mulder & Scully from the X-Files. Both of those were my ideas as I'm a redhead and it makes things easy.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The Mad Scientist idea for your son sounds great- would love to have you post a pic of the childrens' costumes too. Where our son is going to no costume, our daughter wants me to make her a Princess Buttercup outfit like ala' the film The Princess Bride. Last year our son went as Wesley/Dread Pirate Roberts...

Today is for working on my MD costume; had to take up the sleeves of my husband's tux shirt 3 inches, the tailcoat sleeves re-hem up 2-1/2 inches, take in the waist of the vest, and then add suspender buttons to my vintage tux pants. Also wearing his vintage white suspenders with this. And some repair was needed on my collapsible opera hat. Found a great pair of patent leather heeled pumps that have grosgrain bow detail. I've been trying the pieces on as I'm fitting it, and our son says I look like a Lady Symphony Conductor...

Panache said:
ChanteuseCarey,

Our son is going to be a Mad Scientist at school (Prospero maybe? :) )

I had a lot of fun making him a dust jacket for a book entitled "The Big Book of Secrets Man Was Not Meant to Know" for him to carrying around.

I look forward to seeing the pictures from your Marlena Dietrich outfit!

Happy Halloween

Cheers

Jamie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Worn as a Halloween-sortof costume to Pilates class at the YMCA Monday night.

Showed up in a black jeweled sweater top, my long black knit latin dance skirt and my black Ballroom pumps. Had on a button that said "Ask Me to Dance". For class removed the skirt, to reveal black heavy dance weight seamed fishnet tights and red french cut trunks. Told the teacher and my classmates students my costume was that of a Red Hot Ballroom Latin Dancer. The teacher especially appreciated the fishnets, he came over to check my body position during class at one point and said after class he also had wanted to make sure my seams were straight... ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap LOVE IT!!!

I'm getting ready... had my hair set today. Nails and eyelashes will get done tomorrow. Costume pieces alterations are all finished.

Miss 1940's said:
And I have seen some women post their Costumes on this Thread then I am doing the same.
This year I am Rosalind Russell from "The Women"1939
16662_319771155633_675180633_9639442_7493127_n.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's me about 10 years ago:

yahooclown.jpg

and about 30 years ago:

samuraiscott.jpg

I have other pics of me in latex masks, but thats not all that creative, afaic.

Yes, Halloween in the US, especially for the kids, has evolved into costumes that emulate the celeb of the moment, whether its a person, cartoon, or whathaveyou.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
A Richard O'Brian costume would be pretty good.

Hey, Edward,

How about The Child Catcher?

Chitty_OBrien_aug07.jpg

I was fortunate to see him in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when it first opened. Took my godson and his father when they visited me while I was stationed at RAFs Alconbury/Molesworth. We found ourselves sitting not too far from Andrew Lloyd Webber. We had a great time!

Cheers,
Tom

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Got the idea just this afternoon: Cheap-Ass Golden Age Batman.
batman1943.jpg

The inspiration is the 1943 movie serial Batman, but not exactly.
The idea is no sewing, nothing ready-made, don't ruin any clothes, and don't break the bank. I've spent less than $25 so far, not including what I already had at home.

Base is a suit of grey thermal waffle underwear. I've added a black polar fleece balaclava, which is getting ears and a faceplate made out of stick-on felt. The cape is exactly one yard ($3) of ultrasuede, about 60" wide.

Black boxer shorts go over the longies, and cotton work gloves for easy candy handling. Down below, long black sox and my Clarks jellybean shoes.

All I need is a Bat Belt. The secret is to not make it look too good. Maybe my old army cartridge belt, painted gold.

Pictures when Cheap-Ass Batman returns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo