Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand warmer pockets on a Schott/Perfecto Caf1?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
What would you guys think of handwarmer pockets added to one of these? Either zippered or non-zippered. Just wondering if it would work aesthetically (due to the split at the bottom):

caf1_front.jpg

alsendk

A-List Customer
I personally would not mind at all.
There seem to be plenty of space for either zipped or unzipped hand warmers, and in the daily life,I find handwarmers useful, and even ordered it for my own retro Irvin flying jacket.
I would go for it without hesitation.
A very nice jacket btw.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
What do you think would look best on it...zippered or unzippered?

Also, anyone have an opinion on the steerhide used on these? I understand they used to made from horsehide.

alsendk

A-List Customer
With your breast pockets already made zippered, I really think you should go for zippered handwarmers also, to get a more calm look, and it also adds some safe for nothing to fall out from the pockets.
How deep can they be made...do you know ?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Not sure on the depth.

Was wondering about unzippered because I don't want to look like Zipperman. The front zipper is unguarded so it's really prominent. Don't wanna look all overly zippered out like Michael Jackson. I'm wondering if they left the hand pockets off this design for a reason.

The breast pockets on this are somewhat lower than normal too, so that's another reason I'm wondering if hand pockets would look allright on it.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Cyber Lip,

I have the Schotts 660 Cafe Racer which is not unlike the jacket you have pictured. This has zippered handwarmers and I and more than happy with the design of the jacket. If you have a look on Schotts website you will see what I mean.

Regards

Flashy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Cyber Lip,

I have the Schotts 660 Cafe Racer which is not unlike the jacket you have pictured. This has zippered handwarmers and I and more than happy with the design of the jacket. If you have a look on Schotts website you will see what I mean.

Regards

Flashy

Hey Flashy, I want one of these. What's it like? Tell us about sizing and the leather. I want one because it is a thinner hide, like one of the old Brooks cafe racers. Could you possibly weigh it and tell us how heavy? And the flannel lining, what's that like, thick, durable.

Cheers - Seb

Last edited:

CeeDee

New in Town
I don't think you'll be in any danger of looking like MJ, whether you go with handwarmer pockets or leave the jacket as-is! I remember seeing one when they were making them in horsehide, and I think the steerhide version is so much nicer!
Not sure on the depth.

Was wondering about unzippered because I don't want to look like Zipperman. The front zipper is unguarded so it's really prominent. Don't wanna look all overly zippered out like Michael Jackson. I'm wondering if they left the hand pockets off this design for a reason.

The breast pockets on this are somewhat lower than normal too, so that's another reason I'm wondering if hand pockets would look allright on it.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Seb,

Here are my thoughts on the jacket, I must add the disclaimer tho that this is the first leather I have purchased after researching it. What I'm basically saying is I have a fairly uncultured eyer for leather but I will add my musings anyway!

I am very happy with Schotts and the jacket. When I was doing a bit of research on this website many people said that Schotts jackets can often be cut a little on the small side and the arm length can be a little short but I have to say the XL I ordered is pretty much bang on for me, maybe even a little on the large side.
I'm 6'3, 42 chest and 38 waist and probably average build for a 42 year old of these sizes. I mailed Jerri at Schotts who was very prompt on answering any questions I had and she also sent me a table of dimentions for the 660 which was very helpful. I can mail you this if you want it?

The jacket tips the scales at 4lb's in total. The leather does appear to be good quality and it has a nice weight to it which suggests a quality feel when wearing it. The torso of the jacket is made up of 7 panels, two on the front, three on the back and two long narrow panels (approx 5 inches wide) from the armpit to the hem of the jacket. the grain on all thes panels match with the exception on one under arm panel which seems a bit more grained than the others. This is not massively noticable and being under the arm is no real issue to me. My only concern when I opened the box was the jacket appeared to be very shiny but having worn the jacket pretty much every day since getting it I am happy to say that the jacket is dulling down nicely.
The hardware on the jacket is top notch as far as I am concered. The main and sleave zippers seem to be great quality and have a nice solid feel in the hand and a nice burnished copper colour. The only odd thing is the main zipper fastens the wrong way round with the tab component (the box?) on the right hand side. In the UK this usually suggests a garment for females so I can only guess this might be a translation thing from UK to US manufacturers? Again this is not an issue.
I think the term "flannel lining" is a bit misleading. the lining on my jacket feels more like a regular heavy weight shirt material, almost linen. This might just be my interpretation tho as I associate "flannel" with that brushed fabric that your grannies sheets were made of rather than the unbrushed fabric that the lining is made of. I'm still happy with it tho and its in black, brown and grey tartan rather than the muted red shown on the Schotts website. The sleeves are lined in black nylon.

The jacket is 28 inches long and is a little longer in the wearing than I imagined it would be. It sits midway between my belt and pockets on my jeans which is fine by me. Also, being a fitted jacket it flares a little from roughly below the ribcage to the hem. when I first got the jacket I was a little concerned by this as I thought the jacket might be a bit "flappy" and I considered getting it tailored but through wear the flare is much less pronounced although the jacket is quite loose at the hem.
The only thing I am a little dissapointed in is the finish on the cuffs. The leather has only been folded over and stiched. I understand that this is part of the cafe racer style so I'm not overy concerned about it.
Its not what I would call a warm jacket but then again I dont think its supposed to be. Besides I can always wear a jumper or an extra layer should the Ballarat weather get too much for me.

So over all I am delighted with the jacket and would have no hesitation in buying it again. I have been wearing it as my main jacket for the last couple of months and it is breaking in nicely with natural creases in the sleeves and the shine is dulling down beautifully. I might add a couple of photos if I can work out how to do it!

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Flashy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Seb,

Here are my thoughts on the jacket, I must add the disclaimer tho that this is the first leather I have purchased after researching it. What I'm basically saying is I have a fairly uncultured eyer for leather but I will add my musings anyway!

I am very happy with Schotts and the jacket. When I was doing a bit of research on this website many people said that Schotts jackets can often be cut a little on the small side and the arm length can be a little short but I have to say the XL I ordered is pretty much bang on for me, maybe even a little on the large side.
I'm 6'3, 42 chest and 38 waist and probably average build for a 42 year old of these sizes. I mailed Jerri at Schotts who was very prompt on answering any questions I had and she also sent me a table of dimentions for the 660 which was very helpful. I can mail you this if you want it?

The jacket tips the scales at 4lb's in total. The leather does appear to be good quality and it has a nice weight to it which suggests a quality feel when wearing it. The torso of the jacket is made up of 7 panels, two on the front, three on the back and two long narrow panels (approx 5 inches wide) from the armpit to the hem of the jacket. the grain on all thes panels match with the exception on one under arm panel which seems a bit more grained than the others. This is not massively noticable and being under the arm is no real issue to me. My only concern when I opened the box was the jacket appeared to be very shiny but having worn the jacket pretty much every day since getting it I am happy to say that the jacket is dulling down nicely.
The hardware on the jacket is top notch as far as I am concered. The main and sleave zippers seem to be great quality and have a nice solid feel in the hand and a nice burnished copper colour. The only odd thing is the main zipper fastens the wrong way round with the tab component (the box?) on the right hand side. In the UK this usually suggests a garment for females so I can only guess this might be a translation thing from UK to US manufacturers? Again this is not an issue.
I think the term "flannel lining" is a bit misleading. the lining on my jacket feels more like a regular heavy weight shirt material, almost linen. This might just be my interpretation tho as I associate "flannel" with that brushed fabric that your grannies sheets were made of rather than the unbrushed fabric that the lining is made of. I'm still happy with it tho and its in black, brown and grey tartan rather than the muted red shown on the Schotts website. The sleeves are lined in black nylon.

The jacket is 28 inches long and is a little longer in the wearing than I imagined it would be. It sits midway between my belt and pockets on my jeans which is fine by me. Also, being a fitted jacket it flares a little from roughly below the ribcage to the hem. when I first got the jacket I was a little concerned by this as I thought the jacket might be a bit "flappy" and I considered getting it tailored but through wear the flare is much less pronounced although the jacket is quite loose at the hem.
The only thing I am a little dissapointed in is the finish on the cuffs. The leather has only been folded over and stiched. I understand that this is part of the cafe racer style so I'm not overy concerned about it.
Its not what I would call a warm jacket but then again I dont think its supposed to be. Besides I can always wear a jumper or an extra layer should the Ballarat weather get too much for me.

So over all I am delighted with the jacket and would have no hesitation in buying it again. I have been wearing it as my main jacket for the last couple of months and it is breaking in nicely with natural creases in the sleeves and the shine is dulling down beautifully. I might add a couple of photos if I can work out how to do it!

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Flashy

Thanks Flashy, great review. I owe you one. I'm getting very close to buying this jacket. Sounds like it will work for me.

Cheers Mate - Seb

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Now I think of it please pm those sizes to me if you wouldn't mind - would be very useful. Still curious about the lining. Sounds thin, not hard wearing...? I get your point about flannel, I think of those sheets too.

CeeDee

New in Town
Seb,

The leather (the new steerhide) is very, very thick, much like Vanson's competition weight cowhide (but softer and more pliable). The liner is definitely nice, but not as thick as Aero's drill liners or their tartans. However, the liner does look incredibly nice and I feel that it's quite tough. If you're ordering from a distance, go through Insurrection. The jackets run large and they've got the fits on these down.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb,

The leather (the new steerhide) is very, very thick, much like Vanson's competition weight cowhide (but softer and more pliable). The liner is definitely nice, but not as thick as Aero's drill liners or their tartans. However, the liner does look incredibly nice and I feel that it's quite tough. If you're ordering from a distance, go through Insurrection. The jackets run large and they've got the fits on these down.

Thanks but we're talking about the 660 the nice thin leather not the Caf1 in mega heavy steer hide.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Seb, as much as the lining is not flannel as I would describe it, I have no concerns about how hard wearing it might be. It has a sort of course feel about it, kind of like linen I think.

Good luck with your decision mate, I have mailed youths size guide.

Regards

Flashy

Peacoat

Bartender
I think either way you wanted to go, either zippered or non zippered would be OK. I have a Schott cafe racer with the zips on the hand warmers. Never use the zips, and they mostly get in the way when I am trying to slip something into or out of the pockets while riding. They would be useful if you wanted to make sure something valuable, such as a cell phone, didn't fall out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff