Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAPPY FELT HAT DAY!

It's cool in the mornings here now in NE Ohio, so I've been wearing felts pretty regularly. Starting to put away the straws and get out the darker color felts, ie, brown, dark grays, etc. I'm excited to start wearing some of those nice dark colors again, but not about the coming winter.:(

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
We have had one of those never ending summers here, but I have been wearing my lighter weights on Sunday. I'm a cool-cold weather person, so I can't wait!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
Wear 'em if you got 'em! As for myself; we are hitting the low 9o's today, so still straw for me.

I only own one straw [see avatar... the picture to the left of this post, not the overhyped movie about blue people], and live in Florida where Summer never seems to end, but wear felt year-round.

Count me in... is this a "real" holiday?

Randy

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

When I left work yesterday at about 5:30 PM it was still 86 degrees F. Still Straw hat weather. Kansas weather is usually uncomfortable. We have cold windy winter (little snow) from late November until Mid March or April, then we have roughly 2 weeks of Spring followed by Hot, Dry, Windy summer from Mid May until Early October, then we have two or three weeks of Fall and cycle back around again. In short, Kansas is almost always too hot or too cold, but it's always too windy. The Indians referred to the locals as "The People of the South Wind".

Hat weather here can be interesting anyway because your hat is normally in danger of flying off somewhere.

later

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The earliest reference I have found is from 1915 for "The Great American Derby and Felt Hat Day," scheduled for Saturday, September 18th. "Straw Hats will be shot at sunrise," it adds.

I know the traditional date of Felt Hat Day varied in regions around the country, but the most commonly accepted date we've found was September 15th. May 15th is the corresponding "Straw Hat Day."

Brad

Viper Man

Banned
HOORAY! Autumn can't come fast enough! I have been wearing felt in the mornings for the last week or so but usually retire them by mid afternoon.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
Woke up this morning and the humidity had broken!! I knew SOMETHING was going on...turns out to be Felt Hat Day! We still have a couple months here in central Florida of highs in the 90's so won't be wearing felt much during the day yet. Looks like a little more wear for the Akubra Capricorns!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
The earliest reference I have found is from 1915 for "The Great American Derby and Felt Hat Day," scheduled for Saturday, September 18th. "Straw Hats will be shot at sunrise," it adds.

I know the traditional date of Felt Hat Day varied in regions around the country, but the most commonly accepted date we've found was September 15th. May 15th is the corresponding "Straw Hat Day."

Brad

4993825636_868c85daae_b.jpg

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
So, by the looks of that ad "Hat Day" was just created as a ploy to get people to buy a new Derby or felt hat on Sept.18th.[huh]

As for me, it's going to be around 105/106F today. I don't breakout the felt hats until November.

From above ad
The average man would wear his Straw Hat until the snow leaked in if he weren't bombarded with ridicule at the end of the season.

-SH-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot