Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy with Panama results!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I just mentioned on another thread that I bought a cheapo 'Cuenca' Panama here in Europe-
Well, after seeing the fine work of 'Art' on PanamaBobs hats, I was inspired to modify it. I spend a half hour today doodling with it-
I steamed out the (not so nice) 'pressed-in' centre crease and front pinch, telescoped the crown, widening the crown top out to the sides, incorprating a rake to the back and made a more hand-formed pinch, finally adding the 'dome' to the crown. To get the dome into the crown and retain the telescope, I steamed the crown liberally, put the hat on my head and used a hair dryer to set it, whilst forming the telescope edge simultaneously.
It worked a treat and the telescope and dome seem permanently formed.
Now my cheapo 'Cuenca' has an aspect and dimensions more congruent with my sensibilities- the crown is now 5" at the front- down to 3 3/4" at the back- the brim remains at 3". I also re-sewed the ribbon, as it was riding up.
This hat is probably not as nice as the Panamas being offered here,
but it serves my purposes and was a fun little project. It still retains its cotton sweatband but I'm happy with that, it's very comfortable.
It's amazing how resilient these hats are but also how easily they can be formed with a lot of steam, a set of fingers and a hairdryer.
-Fun indeed!
Now that I know I like these hats, I may be tempted- now that I know I can re-form the crown successfully
When I am able, I'll post a couple of pic's for anyone who cares...

Anyway, enough horn blowing-
A pleasant evening to all! :)

B
T

You can do the same thing with felt hats. I had a white cowboy hat that needed cleaning so I got out the felt hat cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of it. After I got it cleaned I put it on and shaped it in a C crown with the hairdryer. Didn't comeout too bad either. The hat is sort of an extension of your hair anyway. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24