Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Anyone Seen This Particular Corcoran Boot?

South

One of the Regulars
Corcoran Brown Jump Boots

http://www.amazon.com/Corcoran®-Historic-Leather-Boots-Brown/dp/B0002ZYRSO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

312FiYDPs7L._AA280_.jpg

Are they well made? Are they comfortable? Do they run wide? Are they heavy? Are they true to size?

Can they be made waterproof?

Thanks for any feedback!

blethook

One of the Regulars
South said:
Corcoran Brown Jump Boots

http://www.amazon.com/Corcoran®-Historic-Leather-Boots-Brown/dp/B0002ZYRSO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

Are they well made? Are they comfortable? Do they run wide? Are they heavy? Are they true to size?

Can they be made waterproof?

Thanks for any feedback!

I owned them a long time ago.... Probably about 10-15 years ago.

They were exactly the same as the black version quality-wise (i.e., excellent).

Comfortable? Well, they're traditional combat boots (without fancy insoles, etc.) so don't expect too much comfort.

I remember the leather was rather stiff when new, as were the soles. They are unlined, so not waterproof. I guess you can wear gore-tex socks, or something.

Fit was standard. Plenty of toe room due to the shape of the it, if I remember correctly.

Lastly, they're not easy to get in or out of...

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info. The more I think about it, they are a good bit taller than what I would like.

Thanks again.

mattfink

Practically Family
I had a pair that I traded a few years back (wish I hadn't now) and they were very comfortable and well constructed. They had a fairly good insole in them as well...bought them in 2007?

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I have a pair and I can second blethook's comments.

They're on the stiff side and need to be broken in. As to waterproofing? I suppose you could treat them with something, but they're meant to be polished.

I found them to be a pain to get in or out of as well.

M

Doug C

Practically Family
I soo want a pair of these, but I want to have them cutdown to a 6" of so. I wish they made 'em like that or simply made a type I service shoe.. I know these cutdown would still be a little different from the type I's but I don't care, they'd still be awesome in my opinion. I'd expect the Poron Sole insert to be fairly comfortable. Hey Mattfink, thanks for that link and maybe saveing someone a chunk of money.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Doug C said:
I soo want a pair of these, but I want to have them cutdown to a 6" of so. I wish they made 'em like that or simply made a type I service shoe.. I know these cutdown would still be a little different from the type I's but I don't care, they'd still be awesome in my opinion. I'd expect the Poron Sole insert to be fairly comfortable. Hey Mattfink, thanks for that link and maybe saveing someone a chunk of money.

I was told at one time WWII Impressions' service boots were made by Corcoran. I don't know if that's still the case or not. If so, you then basically have a pair of 6" Corcoran service boots...

South

One of the Regulars
blethook said:
I was told at one time WWII Impressions' service boots were made by Corcoran. I don't know if that's still the case or not. If so, you then basically have a pair of 6" Corcoran service boots...

Hey - you're not kidding:

200136profile.JPG

Sam Craig

One Too Many
original corcorans

I have a pair of original M1951 corcoran boots that I lucked into on Ebay back when WWII reenacting was first getting heated up.

They are heavy and stiff because they were made to be.

They are great boots, though.

I just feel like a heal lol (pun intended) when I wear 60 year old boots, even if they were in new condition when I got them.

They originally came with a huge, woven cotten boot lace, instead of the leather ones, and I don't know if those can be replaced or not.

jaymag_87

New in Town
When I was on Active Duty, my Corcoran Jumo Boots were the most comfortable boots I had. Fortunately for me, I got them from my Dad. He wore them his last couple of years on Active Duty and broke them in for me.

Erik

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing some as I type, as it turns out. Classic look, Munson last, all leather, weather resistant, breathable, takes and holds a shine, delivered to your door for $125-$150 depending on where you order them from. What's not to like? I dropped a spare Danner Airthotic into them, changed out the laces for black ones, and could not be happier.

Skred

New in Town
Jump boots

What will you be using them for - work or style?

Corcoran Jump Boots were issued to paratroopers in WW2. Polish was used because the wax would keep the leather supple and somewhat waterproof. Highly shined boots were a proud tradition in the service until they issued the brown rough outs.

If you are going to dress up with them, soak them overnight and wear til dry to break them in. Then polish. They will shine like glass if you spit-shine them.

I wore Corcorans for +20 years in the Army. They were never totally comfortable until I stripped them and soaked them in neetsfoot oil to the point where they would't take any more. That was 2 years about and they are still oozing the stuff. They are also soft as buckskin moccasins and as waterproof as you will get them. They are great hiking boots. Won't take polish though.

If you get them for work, do yourself a favor and get get them one or two sizes larger. Get some aftermarket insoles and thick, winter socks. They much more comfortable that way.

They can be resoled. Check the Vibram website for other patters beside the kletterfelt lugs. There are better choices of sole.

Corcoran was bought by Cove Boot a coupla years ago and quality is not as good as it once was. YMMV.

JohnnieT

New in Town
Corcoran boots.

I've seen them recently, along with some other WWII repro items, at www.sportsmansguide.com.
Before the Army switched us to the hideous tan suede jobbies we wear now, I swore by Corcorans, both the standard and field boots (called the Mach II in their catalog). Both were the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. They offer them now in rough-out tan for the ACU uniform, but that cap toe on suede looks a bit silly.
As for sizes, I always had to buy mine a half-size large to accomodate good wool or wool-blend socks.
As for quality, they are some of the best. They are repairable/ re-soleable and use a steel shank. They should last a good many years. For the brown version, I'd recommend Kiwi clear polish by way of care.
Hope that is some help to you.

TomS

One Too Many
I think that Corcoran boots are tough as nails, but they do need to be broken in. I have seen awful blisters from the boots if your feet aren't toughened up a bit.
Best,
TomS

DerMann

Practically Family
I'm not sure if they're not water proof.

My friend gave me a a pair of his old Corcoran jump boots (plain black) in 11D. Even though I wear a 12D at least, they still fit well if but a little snug. The only thing I could use them for was airsofting, paintballing and the occasional hunting trip.

Thing is, I specifically remember being able to cross streams and walk through mud with no water intrusion. Maybe it was just because they were tight enough to prevent water from getting in, I don't know.

Spectacular boots, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy