Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone tried their hand at DlY millinery?

atomicfabulous

New in Town
I have always wanted to try making felt hats, I wondered if anyone has ever tried to make a hat at home using felt. I have some wonderful hats from the 40's that I absolutely love...

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I bought a pattern for felt hats a year ago. Vogue vintge collection? eh I can't remember. I haven't tried it yet because I don't know where to begin lol I'm scared. Maybe I'll try over Christmas break.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I've tried some doll sized ones. Maybe you all could do that, like barbie size first to see how it goes without wasting any materials?

I have some buckram frames that I need to cover. I also want to attempt the Paris Hat from Gone With the Wind. I have the supplies but I'm affraid to do it. I already have a doll one, so I just need to take the plunge. It's just that they don't make velvet like they used to and I bought a vintage dress just for the fabric for it!

Nikki

Elaina

One Too Many
I've made a couple cloches, but like they say: those hats make even the very pretty plain. I'm not very pretty, so...

I've made quite a few hats, but I quit liking them sometime after the teens, save for the Peter Pan hat. To that end, I either don't wear a hat, or I wear one that's a few decades out of place. I do wear a cloche when I'm outside with the boy and his activities, but it's so I don't have to do my hair :eek:. As my hair gets long I generally wear it in a Gibson girl pouf, because one it hits somewhere along my shoulders I can't figure out how to roll it anymore, and it's naturally frizzy that the syle just works. Right now, I just got it cut into a flapper 'do, that uses the curl to an advantage. (Hats are relative to my hair length: the longer it is the less I wear hats.) I also don't look good in hats, because I still need to buy a chin.

Millnery isn't that hard, just really, really time consuming.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really really really really would love to make my own hats. I have made a couple, but I want some wool felt hats, and I dont have the skill for that. Ive made some cloth hats from patterns, but I have a LOT of hair, so sizing can get wacky. I just blow it off. I won a lot of mens hats tho.

LD

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I saw a parrot that had on a fedora-style hat the other day. :eek:fftopic:

I know a girl, and her grandmother was born in the 30's, so she lived through the 40's... She has toooonnnnssss of amazing clothes. That's not the point... One day I saw the girl wearing a white KNITTED fedora. She said it belong to her grandma.. :eek: I was amazed and always wondered how it was made because I've wanted to make one ever since. (It looked like the knitted piece was stretched over some kind of hat form...) [huh] I'm supposed to knit a cloche hat for my friend V, but I don't know where to begin. All the cloche patterns I find are just not the right "one" I'm figuring I have to knit with wool and felt the hat, but I'm too poor to buy the real stuff. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo