Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat compliment

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Got my first serious compliment on my hat today - I've been wearing now for about six months, sporadically at first and frequently for the last six weeks or so. Gotten a few comments but nothing substantive.

Today, a store manager who was helping me with something finally said, "I like the hat. Stetson?" I said, "No, it's a Herbert Johnson." His eyes got wide and he actually said, "Ooh. Nice."

I'm beginning to be sorry I waited so long to get around to hats. Cheeze, at forty-mumble I finally feel like an adult!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
It's nice when they ask where you actually purchased it. A compliment's nice, but you have to reel them in.....:fedora:

"join us or you shall perish!"

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
"Just once I'd like to be called 'sir', without it being followed by 'your making a scene'"- Homer Simpson

I've gotten some mildly positive comments, it feels nice.

Fast

Familiar Face
Student: What's your first name?

Me: Mister

Student: yuh. but really. .

Me: Wait, I guess you want to know my nickname?

Student (now hopeful of familiar address): Uh huh.

Me: sir

Carpe Diem
Fast

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Fast,

That sounds like conversations I've had in the Air Force!

Airman: So, what do you go by, Thomas or Tom?

Me: Sergeant.

It's funny, but during the entire time I was in the Air Force (1980-2005) there was a tendency for NCOs and even SrNCOs to allow junior personnel to call them by their first name--wanted to be buddies, I guess. I don't know why, but I rarely had a troop try to address me by my first name. Even my peers generally called me by rank unless I suggested otherwise. The only thing I could think of that might explain it was how I carried and presented myself. I did have a girlfriend once who wanted her goodbye kiss before I put on my uniform because when I did I changed, became the sergeant.

I do get good comments on my hats, but generally followed by the usual "I could never wear one, though, I'd look stupid" comment. I generally refrain from replying "You mean more than you do now in that fraying baseball cap?"

Cheers,
Tom

A

Ande1963

I was walking out of a convention center recently, when a security guard suddenly got up and started jogging toward me from about 50 yards away. I saw him, but figured he wasn't coming for me... I mean, I wasn't doing anything wrong!

But, he kept coming straight for me, waving his hand as if to get my attention. Finally, when he got close enough, I figured he did want me, so I stopped, ready to justify whatever "infraction" he thought I might have committed.

So, he grins at me and asks where I got my hat! It was my Miller Milan, so I showed him the label, he said it was a great hat, and we both moved on.

Anj

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I had a "Sir" just yesterday; from the girl behind the counter at Books-a-Million (odd since I am 28 and she must be mid-twenties, but I imagine it was because I was a customer and she was working).

But the best compliment so far:
I actually found a restaurant with hat/coat hangers at the booths so I was able to do the "proper" thing by taking my hat off while I ate the other day (it was a local Bennigan's).
As we left I heard a table of elderly ladies finishing a hushed conversation that I concluded must have began with the fact that I had manners, because the part I heard it ended with "AND he looks really good in that hat." All of the old ladies giggled and shot glances at me as I smiled.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
HamletJSD said:
I had a "Sir" just yesterday; from the girl behind the counter at Books-a-Million (odd since I am 28 and she must be mid-twenties, but I imagine it was because I was a customer and she was working).
I recall the day that the cute young thing behind the counter talked to the other cute young thing about the really cute guy across the store... right in front of me. I was just the invisible old guy. I think I was 37 or 38. :whistling

As we left I heard a table of elderly ladies finishing a hushed conversation that I concluded must have began with the fact that I had manners, because the part I heard it ended with "AND he looks really good in that hat." All of the old ladies giggled and shot glances at me as I smiled.
What is it about groups of women out together? 15, 25, 55, 85 - they all get giggly and contact-high. :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Compliments always feel good no matter what age. Just as long as they're not backhanded compliments.;) I get sir plenty and I never feel old enough to rate it.

Cheers!

Dan

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
who was it sinatra who said someday your going to be dead may as well dress dead.
i get the sir comment lots these days it makes me laugh and tip my hat :-D

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The more you wear them them more people see them and we can hope that someone else will have a revelation such as, "Hmm? That hat looks cool. Wonder how I'd look in one?"
th_Tip-Hat.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran