Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat etiquette for *today*

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao would be right at home in Fort Worth.

We had dinner in the Stockyards this last weekend and there must have been 10 or more people (men and women) wearing western hats in the restaurant.

Most don't take them off.
Yes, probably no one would notice me in Fort Worth.
Restaurants... it depends on the kind of restaurant and how spacious it is.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Etiquette is and has always been about fitting in to norms. If you go into a church where they keep hats on then you keep your hat on.
Isn't a yarmulke a hat?
While in Istanbul I went to several funerals....I and more than a few locals were wearing fedoras and I was told, when the praying started, definitely put the hat On! Most kept them on the whole time, I was holding mine out of respect, but was told, it was more respectful to cover your head....

Sooo, obviously much of this HE is localized as are so many social procedures....

As far as fine dining....if it's fine enough to have a dependable hat rack provided, that is close enough where I can easily keep my eyes on it, I'll use it...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Shoot, I've seen reports of Drive-in churches. Sit in your car and receive the lord through a loudspeaker.

Well, He does work in mysterious ways, right?

The Church of Joe Bob Briggs.
Heck, I heard of drive-THRU churches! Be blessed through the convenience of a carry out window.

madame babette

New in Town
I heartily, and with a smile, disagree with this comment. It has interest to a great many people, and importance to some.

As another Jersey native, I also have never heard of a Cowboy church, not even in the Pine Barrens!

The number of times this subject has been discussed, one could easily be mislead into thinking that it has any kind of interest or importance. :rolleyes:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Let's not forget about:

FeltHatDay.png

Well, it's a beautiful warm Summer day here, so I'll put on my PB-hemp and risk a "2016 Copenhagen Straw Hat Riot". I guess (=hope) the chances are slim ;) :D

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
We went out for a steak at The Outback when we traveled down to Medford and visited Art at VS over the holiday weekend. There were several tables pushed together in one section of the restaurant for a party of about 16 or so. All the men were wearing their straw western hats throughout the meal.

I was wearing an ebay Stetson Downs and pondered the question in my mind about whether or not I should take off my hat during dinner. There being no place to set my hat, and no hat check system established at the restaurant, I decided I would just leave the hat resting on my noggin.

In our local church I remove my hat, even during the week when casual meetings are held and others wear ball caps without removing them.

With changing and differing mores, I suppose a person needs to just follow the lead of the fashion police and moral authority in the area...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Shoot, I've seen reports of Drive-in churches. Sit in your car and receive the Lord through a loudspeaker.

Well, He does work in mysterious ways, right?

The Church of Joe Bob Briggs.

Many Many years ago, Daniel and I were on a "tour" driving around many different States to just enjoy being out on the road in the Ferrari we had at that time, a 360 Spider...and there was a road sign that said, "Church of the Holy Mackerel" next exit!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
We went out for a steak at The Outback when we traveled down to Medford and visited Art at VS over the holiday weekend. There were several tables pushed together in one section of the restaurant for a party of about 16 or so. All the men were wearing their straw western hats throughout the meal.

I was wearing an ebay Stetson Downs and pondered the question in my mind about whether or not I should take off my hat during dinner. There being no place to set my hat, and no hat check system established at the restaurant, I decided I would just leave the hat resting on my noggin.

In our local church I remove my hat, even during the week when casual meetings are held and others wear ball caps without removing them.

With changing and differing mores, I suppose a person needs to just follow the lead of the fashion police and moral authority in the area...
"When in Rome..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy