Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat on or off?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just started wearing hats a few weeks ago, but have noticed I am the only woman doing so around where I live, so I have no one to take my cue's from...I know, when men go into church or a restraunt, they take their hats off, does the same thing apply to women? or can we leave our hats on?

ledsled

One of the Regulars
On.

I might be wrong, but in general, I think women leave their hats on. I've read some hat etiquette somewhere in my internet travels. I'm sure someone will have links. Maybe you can take your tip from watching old movies? The childhood memories I have of my grandmother and old, OLD aunts have them wearing their "Sunday-best" hats in church, in restaurants, etc. Hope this helps.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nope.

A women never removes her hat, even in church. She may wear it in her own home to receive guests as well.
Nor her gloves, unless they are grubby gardening gloves, which are removed before shaking hands. Gloves are left on in every other instance. And she never apologizes for not removing her gloves or hat.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you go by old school rules, no, women do not have to take there hat off. In fact up until the late sixties women were expected to wear hats in church, to not was actually considered as bad as not eating fish on Fridays. (If you are catholic you know what I am talking about). That being said I personally feel, with equality, women should be mindful of the same rules as men. You may not have to follow them as men do like taking it off in an elevator, but please remove it at the dinner table. That’s my two cents worth.
Johnny

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Womens Hats

The only time I see women wearing hats is at steeplechase races or in church on Easter Sunday. Oh well! [huh]

SC :(

PS real hats not ball:eusa_doh:caps!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
MG,

I guess you need to start a thread "Am I the only Lady on the West Coast that wears a Hat ?" and then posts your memorable reactions.

Where are the pics ??? Will you post them in the hat section or the "women only" Powder room, where...eh um...we can't see them...

mark the shoeshine boy

Quite simply, a woman can wear her hat inside, outside, in church and just about anywhere else. This is partly due to the fact that it is tougher for a woman to remove her hat with all the bows, pins and elastic that goes under the hair. A man simply removes his. A woman takes a lot longer with hers and they are allowed to keep it on rather than dishevel her hair and dress. This is particularly so if the hat matches her dress or outfit.
There are plenty of Miss Manners things out there and she even changed her mind on a few things but I say just go with it all the time. The only reason I can agree with Miss Manners is if the hat obstructs the view of someone in a theatre or some such place where seating is permanent.
Women with ball caps and other unsightly accoutrements are an exception. Remove them and keep them removed. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Russ

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
That being said I personally feel, with equality, women should be mindful of the same rules as men. You may not have to follow them as men do like taking it off in an elevator, but please remove it at the dinner table. That’s my two cents worth.

There was a time in a previous century when hat wearing by men indoors -- even at the table -- was acceptable. Hatless Jack goes into this in more detail.

Judging by old photos, it was also the norm for men to wear a hat at a table in a restaurant in Japan even during the golden era.

j_hat_pub_1929.jpg

So the issue of wearing hats indoors at the table is a cultural issue which differs according to the time and place. Since we are not living in an era or culture where hat wearing is the norm, society no longer enforces the old rules, and there were lots of hat rules which came and vanished. The very act of wearing a hat -- anywhere -- can be seen as a rebellious act today. Individuals who remember the hat wearing rules of a former era in their own culture might try to impose them on other hat wearers of the world today, but it is fruitless.

If an eatery has no place for me to put my hat, then I'll keep it on my head. And most people don't even care.

And I have also learned that you tell a woman what to do at your own peril :)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Women with ball caps and other unsightly accoutrements are an exception. Remove them and keep them removed. :p ;)
J

Hear hear! :eusa_clap And that goes for the guys with the ball caps too.

Mysterygal, nothing looks classier than a lady in a hat. Wear yours as much as possible!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Luckily it's our female prerogative not to remove our hats. Might mess up our hair and that truly would be a tragedy! :p

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
I frequently wear hats when I'm out and about....in fact I wore one just yesterday when I took my mother out to tea. I have a nice little collection of straw cloches that look good whether I'm going casual or dressy.

While I've always heard the rule is that women can leave their hats on indoors (confirmed by my mother who was a young hat-wearing woman in the 40's), I sometimes remove mine when I'm eating in a restaurant just to be more comfortable. I only do this, however, if I'm pretty sure I won't be suffering from hat hair. :eek:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
shoeshineboy said:
MG,

I guess you need to start a thread "Am I the only Lady on the West Coast that wears a Hat ?" and then posts your memorable reactions.

Where are the pics ??? Will you post them in the hat section or the "women only" Powder room, where...eh um...we can't see them...

mark the shoeshine boy
lol ok, how about this, when I do get around to posting pics of me in my hat, I'll put them in this hat thread....don't want any of you guys having guilty consciences! :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
and that was what I was thinking as well, mostly because of what taking off your hat can do to a ladies hair! :eek: I was just getting concerned that I was committing a major faux paux or however you spell that :rolleyes:

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Hey, guys. New here. :)

That picture that was quoted isn't a restaurant, it's a saloon. That is one of the few indoor places where men do not remove their hats... nothing worse than having beer spilled on your hat, I tell ya.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy