Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat on or off?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reviving to say - this is true for small hats, but what about larger hats like women's fedoras and sun hats (assuming they're pretty enough to leave on). Same?

miss_elise

Practically Family
i always understood it to be that if a hat were a "dress" hat, then you could leave it on, but if it wear a "casual" hat you should take it off... therefore a sun hat you just slapped on before going on a picnic should poboably be taken off indoors but a more dressed up hat you would wear for visiting can be left on... but then i have been known to be wrong at times...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Reviving to say - this is true for small hats, but what about larger hats like women's fedoras and sun hats (assuming they're pretty enough to leave on). Same?

PC220048-1.jpg

:D :D

Rachael

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
In a movie or other theater, I'd remove it -- or sit in the back row.
my ladies' tea guild had a Titanic themed event which included a nickelodeon show. Those of us in truly titanic hats chose to sit in the back row. It truly is not pretty what a hat of that size will do to a gibson girl updo.

jonosdad

New in Town
Hi there! I'm new to The Fedora Lounge and this is my first post. not sure if i'm doing it correctly...i'm wondering about etiquette; do men wear hats in the car? i just started wearing a fedora recently and am not sure of the general rules.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Russ said:
There was a time in a previous century when hat wearing by men indoors -- even at the table -- was acceptable. Hatless Jack goes into this in more detail.

Since we are not living in an era or culture where hat wearing is the norm, society no longer enforces the old rules, and there were lots of hat rules which came and vanished. The very act of wearing a hat -- anywhere -- can be seen as a rebellious act today. Individuals who remember the hat wearing rules of a former era in their own culture might try to impose them on other hat wearers of the world today, but it is fruitless.

If an eatery has no place for me to put my hat, then I'll keep it on my head. And most people don't even care.

And I have also learned that you tell a woman what to do at your own peril :)

Absolutely perfectly stated.

As you implied, eateries aren't generally set up for fedora-wearers, and why should they be? It isn't 1950. I tried to maintain a habit of removing my hat when indoors, but all I did was set my hat up to be knocked off the chair or table by other diners, have coffee dumped into/onto it by waitresses, or drinks spilled on the table for my fedora to float in.

I take my hat off in my local coffee shop, because there is a place to put it. Same for several places around town, but such places are the exception to the rule (not there is a rule in 2009 :))

1911 Man

A-List Customer
jonosdad said:
Hi there! I'm new to The Fedora Lounge and this is my first post. not sure if i'm doing it correctly...i'm wondering about etiquette; do men wear hats in the car? i just started wearing a fedora recently and am not sure of the general rules.

Yes, you may keep your hat on in the car. Years ago cars were not nearly as well insulated, so hats were a must while driving, just to keep you warm! Hence so many different hats being designed specifically for driving needs (chauffer's cap, etc).

the Milliner

New in Town
Hats in the car

Hi, I am new to this site but love that I have a place to yap about hats.

Having said that, I know that the car had a lot to do with the demise of the hat especially for women. It was just too cumbersome to be in a car with a hat on and as cars shrank, so did the millinery industry. How sad!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Miss Manners got this very question and addressed it recently in her newpaper column. Bottom line--women may wear any kind of hat anytime, anywhere.

Perhaps she did not consider the movie theater scenario. I was in Memphis, TN last year and went to see a movie there. I could hardly believe the plethora of hats atop the ladies' heads inside. Turns out the annual COGIC (Church of God in Christ) convention was underway at the same time, and there's a long-standing tradition of the female members donning hats for the occasion.

Some of them were big whoop-tee-doos, Cecil B. DeMille productions, and I think most of those were in front of me at the theater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy