Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat persecution?

TrueBlue

New in Town
Another one in defence of the starter hat here - I've never been a confident person, but the simple act of buying one or two cheap hats has a) led me to want to buy more (johnnyphi, you are a GOD - when I get paid, so help me I'm buying my first expensive hat; if I had the money I'd buy the Adam Crosby today :( ), and b) put my confidence up to the level that I can happily go out on my own knowing that, actually, I don't HAVE to look like everyone else, and actually, I look better with a hat than without!

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge,

I started collecting and wearing fedoras just over a year ago, I had to get use to wearing the hat around town. I now have 35+ hats and love them.
I walked into my girl friends house the other day wearing one of my hats and her room mates lsaw me and said those hats are you.....

A year ago I was self consience, now I dont feel right unless I have a hat on when I go out of the house.

Going fishing tomorrow, wearing a panama ......................

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Welcome aboard

Welcome to our little group of hat crazed people.
However, to contunie posting, you must answer the following question:
What is the difference between the USMC & the Boy Scouts ??? ;)

SEMPER FI :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
2/5 1967

jpbales

Practically Family
Oorah

I'm honored to be in the virtual presence of all you Marines and proud to be able to wear the same uniform!

The difference between Marines and Boy Scouts... the first one that comes to mind is that we kill people...[huh]

Welcome to the Lounge, and Semper Fidelis

Jim

Goose.

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
The Boy Scouts have adult supervision! lol

Aim High,
Tom
HA HA Tom...that's funny...now go to the other Troop and get me a left handed ladle. ;)
Pretty scary to think I was one of those those "adults" :D :eek: 25 years or so and left as an Asst Dist Commissioner...and even got the Commissioner of The Year award...this, obviously, before better background checks. I was one rowdy Scout as a kid. :rage: But, never put my youth in harm's way as an Adult Leader. As a youth Scout myself, whole other story...my Scout Leaders were usually Navy or Marine NCOs that drank beer on campouts. They NEVER let us drink, but us scouts, we had a hoot as the leader's had a beer buzz and were pretty cool!!! Things changed so much and all the PC crap...females in the Order of the Arrow (National Honor Society) was it for me. Adios senoritas...

My dementia continiues into beyond middle age (I'm 52)...2030hrs and I just took a bayonet to dig up a gopher hole in my backyard with my two beagles, shoved a few Picolo Petes down the tunnel and yelled "FIRE IN THE HOLE" to get my trooper dawgs cleared. Then went back to smoking my chicken for chicken salad. Ans it's raining like heck. Wife just shook her head from the patio door and walked away.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...well, Picolo Petes in the evening anyway.

Oh, I was wearing my Casual...gotta keep this "hat" related somehow.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
2030hrs and I just took a bayonet to dig up a gopher hole in my backyard with my two beagles, shoved a few Picolo Petes down the tunnel and yelled "FIRE IN THE HOLE" to get my trooper dawgs cleared.
Why do visions of Caddyshack keep popping in my head?lol

kaosharper1

One Too Many
The best starter hats would probably be Akubras, but it would also help if there were a place to go to try them on. My first hat was a Dobbs I bought at a Stetson outlet that was in the downtown New York area when I used to work there in the early 1980s. It was a great place because the guys there were knowledgable. Then the Dobbs shrank, I moved away from New York and I stopped wearing hats for about 10 years. It was finding Akubra that got me started again, but I already knew what I would look like with a Fedora.

Anyway, we need more stores carrying Akubras. Then I think we'd have a better "starter" hat that people would try.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
bikemike72 said:
I've read about people who feel awkward wearing a hat or suggestions on buying a "safe" or "starter" hat? What's up with that? IT'S A HAT! That's all. People who wear hats or caps or lids or (insert descriptive) are smarter than those who don't if for no other reason than protection. I'm a former Marine and I can't imagine being in the summer or winter sun with out a hat ("cover" in Marine terminology). Besides functional, hats are cool looking. They complete an outfit (again look at the military). Should anyone fall prey to "hat persecution" as I call it, take a look at who's talking. Probably some paper cut-out of the other paper cut-out standing right next to him, and they're both jealous because the hot lady on your arm will be wearing your hat and nothing else later tonight!

I like your style, Welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael