Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Pilgrimage #1 (Revisited): Vintage Silhouettes

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you the very first production of Art Fawcett's Collegiate.

Felt is a moss colored beaver blend of anonymous origin with a phenomenal matching vintage dark olive ribbon. The felt on this is pounced well and feels very vintage-like, and in totality is the softest wearing hat I own (I don't own too many vintage that fit me well though).

This is the first hat I've had with a 2-3/8 brim. The crown is just a hair shy of 4-3/4" at the front.

I'm a huge stickler for a nice perfect clean block, tightish pinch,, deep dimples that throw shadows from directional light. That 40's untapered front and sides is fine fine fine. The Collegiate welts are uniform and straight--this cannot be easy to do for any fine hatter. His slope from front to back in silhouette is more than notable--close to best in class, from what I've seen and like. Optimo needs this kind of blocking. Check out how you can see the top collegiate welt through the pinches in the front. Cool touch.

Bow work? Very good with hidden stitches on the double bow. He likes to do the center of the bow narrower than the classic bow, but I like the way it works here. He will have to be careful not to take away from the uniformity of look in the ribbon. But Art seems to have an eye for this kind of variation. Stitching? I give Art a B+, a very good score from someone who examines closely the symmetry and eveness of stitching.

Fit? We're working on that, given some difficulties of dealing with size over e-mail. I'll update the final fit, when we complete some work here.

The sweats and liners of Art's are good, given the difficulty of finding great sources of supply for these for low volume custom hatwork. Very soft sweat in burgundy, but Art will someday soon have even better sweats. The liner has his new logo, a bonus--it is however a sticker that will not last long. This will change as his suppliers get on board.

Art can make a hat that's not only a great deal at current pricing (compare with Optimo's $400), but is really well made and with an eye toward perfect work and innovations.

In all the hat is well made, has character, and doesn't bore me a bit: even with the narrower brim, it is rakish, and perhaps a bit sporty; I gravitate toward toward the rakish, a bit like Art himself.

Is this the perfect hat? Time will tell as the pilgrimage continues. But my assessment of Art's work on this hat is his excellence outside of the hat and overall craftsmanship. By the way, I am comparing only great hats, not hats at Art's custom price points. That alone says enough. Get one while you can. Prices will likely increase as his reputation grows.

Regards,
G

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I hear that JP. the blue he is getting in looks smashing from the swatch.

With some slight variations, this could be a candidate for one's signiture hat. I'm looking forward to this design with a slightly larger brim, bound edge in 100% beaver someday soon.

Whew! I'll have to keep the ladies off me, baby!

G

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Gcollins wrote

Is this the perfect hat? Time will tell as the pilgrimage continues. But my assessment of Art's work on this hat is his excellence outside of the hat and overall craftsmanship. By the way, I am comparing only great hats, not hats at Art's custom price points. That alone says enough. Get one while you can. Prices will likely increase as his reputation grows.

I just spoke to Art and his new hat bodies are in. He hasn't seen them yet since he's out of town. I'd bet they are nice. I know i'll being getting a few more from Art . Not only does he build a very fine hat he treats everyone with respect and is striving on each to make The Perfect Hat.
You just can't go wrong with
http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Great news! And Sharpetoys, If I remember correctly, you have that great blue hat he made with the banded edge and the windcord. To date, from what I've seen of his hats, you have the second best piece of wearable art he's made! :D

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Why not go to Montecristi and pick out a winner to be blocked in Hawaii or San Fran or???? Go to Flerida Pachay, Rosendo Delgado, Pabicho Franco or Modesto Mero.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Gcollins wrote

Great news! And Sharpetoys, If I remember correctly, you have that great blue hat he made with the banded edge and the windcord. To date, from what I've seen of his hats, you have the second best piece of wearable art he's made!

G.
Your hat is a real piece of Art, i love the color.

Thats correct i got the Smokey Mountain Blue in a beaver nutria blend. Its one great Fedora

Here is the picture again.

http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1314

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
WOW!!! no no, I mean WOW!!!!!
I just returned from my trip to Seattle last night and am reading your review for the first time G. WOW!!!!!
Thank you for your review G, I could not have written it better and am very flattered. To have my work compared to some of the others in your collection, knowing the hats resting there, is a true compliment. I also appreciate the honesty in the review and as you know, I strive to get better with every hat so pointing out any areas for needed improvement is taken with the same integrity as the writer.
I received my new felts while I was gone and on my return I got a bit if a surprise. They are not the colors I ordered but rather some of their NEW colors for fall. Apparently I ordered from their old colors ( not knowing they had new). I'm not displeased with them, just surprised. They feel a little stiffer than I expected so final judgement is withheld unitl I get a chance to work with them. I only have 3 days at home , then to LA for the Vintage Expo so my review may be a few weeks.
Again , thanks G

Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy