Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat protection

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Please excuse me if this has been brought up before, but I have a question.

It's fairly easy to find "rain bonnets" for cowboy hats.. That is to say a clear plastic covering that goes over the hat to waterproof it.

Does anything like this exist for the Fedora, or are we just supposed to use an umbrella in a downpour?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may be Heresy ...

scotchg.png
campdry.jpg
Scout.jpg

danofarlington

Please excuse me if this has been brought up before, but I have a question.

It's fairly easy to find "rain bonnets" for cowboy hats.. That is to say a clear plastic covering that goes over the hat to waterproof it.

Does anything like this exist for the Fedora, or are we just supposed to use an umbrella in a downpour?

Good question. Myself, I don't like plastic covers for hats, because it reminds me of policemen who do that. I wear the fedora for style. If I know it's going to rain, I wear a beater hat or one I don't mind getting wet, even for a real soaking. If I were planning to do more of that, I would buy an Akubra--the Squatter for me--to fight off the rain, no umbrella needed thank you. But, if I have a very good hat that I think would go wavy in the brim, or have to re-shape somehow, then I either take it off in the rainstorm or use an umbrella. I do this with a nice felt Borsalino which I don't believe would be successfully re-shaped by anyone, given the unique Borsalino shaping, and with a fine Panama hat. Panama hats aren't supposed to get wet. But generally speaking I consider the hat to be rain protection, the only downside being possible need to re-shape the hat afterwards. I do not worry about this much with my EBay hats because they are already shaped by a local hatter here, and if something happens to the shape, he can just do it again for $30. Most times there's no need to re-shape, by the way. Hardly ever.

frussell

One Too Many
I have tried the hat condoms on my cowboy hats, and hate them like poison. For one thing, if you have a bigger hat, you never find one that fits. Even when I had a proper fitting one, they always put too much tension on the brim. Plus, I would rather have a wet hat than look like a cowboy who works in a cafeteria. On a fedora? I'd rather not wear the hat at all, as I feel the plastic cover would remove any style I might have had before I put it on. Rain is what Akubras and eBay beaters are for, not for wearing my vintage hat with a ridiculous plastic doodad on it. Just how I feel. Frank

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
frussell, I tried one of those things a long time ago,and had the same results. As for the OP I would say the same thing. Get a hat that is right for the condition. I know how you feel about exposing your new hat to the elements. Thats why I bought my Akubra a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to deal with trashing my new Steston Open road. I know it's not the most expensive hat on the planet,and it's not a collector's item, but it is my niciest looking hat, and I want to keep it that way.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have worn hats for 50 years and NEVER used one of those things. My father and his father wore hats and NEVER used 'em. Other than an unexpected shower or living under a water fall most of us KNOW when it's going to rain so should pick out an appropriate hat for the weather. Hence NO need for a hat condom :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Use an umbrella. While a water resistant hat may keep your head dry , what about the rest of your body....

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Use an umbrella. While a water resistant hat may keep your head dry , what about the rest of your body....

That is what a raincoat is for. High, upturned collar gets the space in between, making it work very nicely.

Rick Blaine

A hat that is of no use to me in the rain is of no use to me at all.

I never figured why Troopers would wear those rubbers on top of a hat as substantial as a Stratton.
[huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There's this thought on the FLounge that a hat should function as an umbrella. I just don't get it.

The rainiest city in the world figured it out a looooooong time ago.....

800px-London_umbrella_shop_smith_n_sons_may_2005.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
I've got to admit, Tomasso, that's a great looking umbrella! I suppose one could acquire it for about the same price as a new car? The high end luxury market is crazy sometimes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR