Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat repair in Pennsylvania? Where,..who? How about do-it-yourself-ing?

cowboy76

Suspended
I picked up three hats a few days ago,...one just needs a new ribbon, two hats I need fixed,..or need to fix myself? I'm located in the southeastern part of PA, and used to know of a fellow that could fix them,..but he's been out of business for years and I think he passed away. Anyone know of any good places to take hats to be fixed in PA?
103_1846.jpg

One is the black derby I picked up.
Needs:
- Leather band re-attached/sewn in place....OR,...a new leather band sewn in. (probably the latter would be wiser)
- New ribbon around the crown, (old is there, and is starting to look so-so)
- New ribbon attatched to the edge of brim.
- Needs to be reblocked due to two small shallow depressions in the crown at the back of the hat.
103_1865.jpg

Has VERY old tag that reads "United Hatters of North America".
103_1903.jpg

Second is the staw boater.
Needs:
- Brown ribbon around the crown repaired, (edges of the bow on the side are fraying)
- New leather band inside. Old one is shot!

Third is my Dobbs Fedora.
Needs:
- New ribbon, or possibly just to fix the old one. There are two strange areas where the ribbon is tacked to the crown with thread, BUT the weird thing is, it wasn't done right, I wonder if it was a replacement at some point?? Then the edge of the bow on the band is fraying.

I know I have briefly scanned over some threads Ihad come accross where soe of the loungers were skilled enough to fix some of the issues with their hats. I have the patience, and the steady hand, I just wondered if it were possible to do all of this msyelf,...OR,...to just find a good place in Pennsylvania to take these to??

Thanks in advance!!

cowboy76

Suspended
Well, I did a search online and found some people,....not sure if they're listed under Millinery because they work on hats,...or do bridalwear!!??:eusa_doh:

I'd rather not have to send it out unless I absolutley have to. What kind of prices have you dealt with in dealing with him? Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles