Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. Jones Custom Hats, Repairs, and Conversions

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You can already see how the final hat is going to turn out. You may be in the same boat as Gary @The Shoe if the wife makes you wait until Christmas to open that package, Brent :)

Not long now!

View attachment 564764

It’s great how Terry updates me and keeps me informed on how things are progressing. It’s a great experience to be so involved in all the processes of the build.

You can already see how the final hat is going to turn out. You may be in the same boat as Gary @The Shoe if the wife makes you wait until Christmas to open that package, Brent :)

I’m not waiting for Christmas! No way. ;)
One of the great things about ordering a hat from Terry is you don’t have to have the patience to wait months or years…a couple weeks and you’re wearing the hat!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not long now!

View attachment 564764

It’s great how Terry updates me and keeps me informed on how things are progressing. It’s a great experience to be so involved in all the processes of the build.
You made good choices on the ribbon combo. I like those colors against that brown. It's good to have customer input and to share pictures throughout the build. It's like a partnership in a way. That way the customer knows what he's getting when the build is finished and both parties are happy in the end.

kirill

New in Town
Наконец-то это произошло! Наш хороший друг Терри @T Jones начал принимать работы над шляпами других людей! Его блок и фланцы ограничены, но это дает вам возможность купить блок и отправить его ему, чтобы получить идеальный размер и желаемую форму. Я отправил ему доступный блок, напечатанный на 3D-принтере, и у меня есть собственные фланцы, так что я позаботился об этом.

Вот мой первый проект Т. Джонса: он начался с создания Resistol Stagecoach конца 1970-х - начала 1980-х годов. Шляпа была изменена на открытую корону размером 6 ½ дюйма на блоке № 52, а ширина полей составила 4 дюйма. Терри добавил окантовку по ободу, новую ленту и новую качественную кожаную ленту. Края довольно твердые, но совсем не жесткие. Корона мягче, чем я когда-либо видел с одной из этих шляп. Ему легко придать форму, и немного пара заставляет его держаться. Я могу легко изменить складку, не оставляя призрачных линий от предыдущей складки. Я искренне шокирован тем, насколько мне нравится это ощущение, которое, вероятно, похоже на 3X Beaver Resistols той же эпохи.

Качество сборки отличное. Сшитая вручную переплет имеет идеально ровные строчки, а концы стыкуются без нахлеста. Повязка идеально сидит на макушке, а мягкая кожа очень удобна. Перелом полей острый, а лента и бант безупречны. Я ненавижу свободные ленты и очевидные закрепочные стежки, а в этой шляпе нет ни того, ни другого. Лук идеальной формы, именно такой, какой он мне нравится, без той пышности, которая есть у некоторых.

Честно говоря, я не был уверен, что шляпа мне понравится, но она оказалась лучше, чем я смел надеяться.

View attachment 543823 View attachment 543824 View attachment 543826 View attachment 543827 View attachment 543828 View attachment 543829 View attachment 543830 View attachment 543831 View attachment 543832 View attachment 543833

К вашему сведению: эта тема создана с разрешения Терри.
Very cool

My latest T. Jones custom. This is a dark brown dress weight 95g pure beaver felt from
FEPSA. The brim is three (3) inches and the open crown is just over six (6) inches. Fantastic build quality! Can’t wait for my next collaboration with Terry.

IMG_7447.jpeg
IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7455.jpeg
IMG_7456.jpeg
IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_7453.jpeg
IMG_7451.jpeg
IMG_7468.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
My latest T. Jones custom. This is a dark brown dress weight 95g pure beaver felt from
FEPSA. The brim is three (3) inches and the open crown is just over six (6) inches. Fantastic build quality! Can’t wait for my next collaboration with Terry.

View attachment 570722 View attachment 570723 View attachment 570724 View attachment 570725 View attachment 570726 View attachment 570727 View attachment 570728 View attachment 570729
Fantastic lid with a very film noir vibe—congrats!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 570722 View attachment 570723 View attachment 570724 View attachment 570725 View attachment 570726 View attachment 570727 View attachment 570728 View attachment 570729
That hat looks great on you, and I really like how well those colors pair up together. I agree with David. It has a classic film noir vibe. You did a good job with that color combo.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A great TJ hat, Brent. How does that felt compare to Winchester and others.?

It really looks great on you Brent. Wonderful work Terry.

A great TJ hat, Brent. How does that felt compare to Winchester and others.?

I have several FEPSA beaver as well as Winchester beaver hats. I personally don’t think one is always better than the other. The FEPSA comes pre-pounced and it usually has a better hand. I think the Winchester can be thinned and made into a more easily dry moldable hat. I think Winchester and FEPSA are a substantial step up from Ukrainian sourced rabbit and beaver and rabbit blended felt when you’re comparing like compositions. I have one pure beaver Ukrainian beaver western felt that I love, but I’m otherwise not a fan. The FEPSA dress rabbit is very nice and might be the best bargain in felt. I’m glad I have the FEPSA beaver that I do, but I’d rather have another Winchester beaver at this point. I will say that the color penetration and depth of richness of color is better in FEPSA. However, the FEPSA is also about twice as much as the Winchester.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It really looks great on you Brent. Wonderful work Terry.
I agree. I think that FEPSA Chestnut color suits him better than most hats he's ever worn. I love the color combo he went with, too. That burgundy ribbon is a lot more versatile than I thought. I have it on a few of my own hats but I wouldn't have thought to put it on a brown one. Anyway, I have a couple of brown hats and I believe I'm going to switch out the ribbon on one of them for the burgundy.

Thank you, btw.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have several FEPSA beaver as well as Winchester beaver hats. I personally don’t think one is always better than the other. The FEPSA comes pre-pounced and it usually has a better hand. I think the Winchester can be thinned and made into a more easily dry moldable hat. I think Winchester and FEPSA are a substantial step up from Ukrainian sourced rabbit and beaver and rabbit blended felt when you’re comparing like compositions. I have one pure beaver Ukrainian beaver western felt that I love, but I’m otherwise not a fan. The FEPSA dress rabbit is very nice and might be the best bargain in felt. I’m glad I have the FEPSA beaver that I do, but I’d rather have another Winchester beaver at this point. I will say that the color penetration and depth of richness of color is better in FEPSA. However, the FEPSA is also about twice as much as the Winchester.
Ditto on the FEPSA rabbit. It's some of the nicest felt I've handled, and like you said, it's the best bargain for the money.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another Frankenhat project. This one started out as a way too small 6 5/8 1930s Excellent Quality Stetson. I originally reblocked it on a 7 1/4 #52 LO block but then reblocked it again on my RA 7 1/4 block. It now sports a tall straight crown with a Center Dent and tight pinch with a raw edge 2 1/2 snap brim. I went with a 2 1/2 inch wide Burgundy ribbon and a Boxcar Bow. I scavanged the sweat and liner from a modern Stetson. The hat was originally a Western and someone punched holes in the brim for what a fellow Lounger guessed was for a stampede cord. I was also able to patch up both holes.

Excellent-Quality-1930s-1.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-2.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-3.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-4.jpg

Hole patched. Barely visible are the stitch holes for the original sweat band. The hole I patched used to be on the brim. Reblocking from a 6 5/8 to a 7 1/4 really raised the crown height.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-5.jpg

Liner and sweat scavanged from two different modern Stetsons and reused on this hat.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-6.jpg

Another Frankenhat project. This one started out as a way too small 6 5/8 1930s Excellent Quality Stetson. I originally reblocked it on a 7 1/4 #52 LO block but then reblocked it again on my RA 7 1/4 block. It now sports a tall straight crown with a Center Dent and tight pinch with a raw edge 2 1/2 snap brim. I went with a 2 1/2 inch wide Burgundy ribbon and a Boxcar Bow. I scavanged the sweat and liner from a modern Stetson. The hat was originally a Western and someone punched holes in the brim for what a fellow Lounger guessed was for a stampede cord. I was also able to patch up both holes.

Excellent-Quality-1930s-1.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-2.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-3.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-4.jpg

Hole patched. Barely visible are the stitch holes for the original sweat band. The hole I patched used to be on the brim. Reblocking from a 6 5/8 to a 7 1/4 really raised the crown height.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-5.jpg

Liner and sweat scavanged from two different modern Stetsons and reused on this hat.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-6.jpg
Beautiful work Terry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner