Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. Jones Custom Hats, Repairs, and Conversions

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That looks amazing, Brent. Congrats to you and Terry for such a great job.

Is that a grey/charcoal ribbon? That might work well on one of my hats currently in the T. Jones queue.

My hat arrived early! Than never happens. Terry has flanges, but not in my huge size. He sent me the hat with the brim un-flanged and I’ll accomplish that duty myself. The felt is FEPSA 100% rabbit and the color is “pale blue.” I think it’s the same color Tim at pure beaver also calls “pale whale.” The open crown is 6” or maybe a 1/16” over. The bound edge brim is 3 ⅛ “ wide. The block is from Hatters Supply House of Colorado. It’s a size 7 ⅞ #52 long oval with an 6 1/4” (ish) height. Everything about this hat shows great attention to detail. I’ll post more photos after it’s flanged and shaped.

To my eye, contrasting colors on the bow keeper can look garish if overdone. Terry kept it subtle and classy.

The felt is wonderful with a great hand. The felt will need some steam to hold a shape and it currently has quite a bit of spring back. It may be rabbit, but it’s some pretty incredible Felt. The brim is significantly firmer, but not in a bad way. It’s just right to hold its shape once flanged and provide structure to the hat. The brim is not in any way harsh or approaching to firmness of say a modern Stetson Royal DeLuxe.

View attachment 561596 View attachment 561597 View attachment 561598 View attachment 561599 View attachment 561600

Thank you, Terry! I can’t wait for my other hats.

RBH

Bartender
Great work Terry!
I am still on the lookout for one of these type hats for one simular!!!

4-X-Resistol-Vented-15-A.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My hat arrived early! Than never happens. Terry has flanges, but not in my huge size. He sent me the hat with the brim un-flanged and I’ll accomplish that duty myself. The felt is FEPSA 100% rabbit and the color is “pale blue.” I think it’s the same color Tim at pure beaver also calls “pale whale.” The open crown is 6” or maybe a 1/16” over. The bound edge brim is 3 ⅛ “ wide. The block is from Hatters Supply House of Colorado. It’s a size 7 ⅞ #52 long oval with an 6 1/4” (ish) height. Everything about this hat shows great attention to detail. I’ll post more photos after it’s flanged and shaped.

To my eye, contrasting colors on the bow keeper can look garish if overdone. Terry kept it subtle and classy.

The felt is wonderful with a great hand. The felt will need some steam to hold a shape and it currently has quite a bit of spring back. It may be rabbit, but it’s some pretty incredible Felt. The brim is significantly firmer, but not in a bad way. It’s just right to hold its shape once flanged and provide structure to the hat. The brim is not in any way harsh or approaching to firmness of say a modern Stetson Royal DeLuxe.

View attachment 561596 View attachment 561597 View attachment 561598 View attachment 561599 View attachment 561600

You're very welcome buddy. Now gimme back that hat! That was one hat I hated to see go! ;) Like you said, for rabbit felt it's pretty incredible, soft and light as a feather. You could almost crease it just by blowing on it. The FEPSA beaver is going to be a real nice one too.

Mighty44

One Too Many
That’s a beauty—great details!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Great work Terry!
I am still on the lookout for one of these type hats for one simular!!!

4-X-Resistol-Vented-15-A.jpg
Thank you, Rusty! I've got a couple of more hats that I made up that are similar in style to that one. This one's a Churchill Western that I converted. I'm not sure of the color but that burgundy ribbon really matched up well with it. This one has a tall straight crown with a Center Dent and a dimensional brim that's 2 3/4 front and back, and 2 1/2 on the sides. It's been flanged on a #19 brim flange. The thing I like about a dimensional brim is that it doesn't look like it has wings when you snap it down.

Attachments

• IMG-20230201-194344402~2.jpg
    IMG-20230201-194344402~2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20230202-063317091~2.jpg
    IMG-20230202-063317091~2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 40

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I’ll continue to work on the crease, but I already love this hat. The felt is so thin and light it’s hard to believe it’s not vintage featherweight.

View attachment 561858 View attachment 561859 View attachment 561860 View attachment 561861 View attachment 561862 View attachment 561863
View attachment 561864

Thank you again, Terry. This hat turned out as close to perfect as any hat I’ve commissioned.

Great looking hat! Once you set the flange is the felt dry-shapable like a vintage? Just wondering how they compare.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I’ll continue to work on the crease, but I already love this hat. The felt is so thin and light it’s hard to believe it’s not vintage featherweight.

View attachment 561858 View attachment 561859 View attachment 561860 View attachment 561861 View attachment 561862 View attachment 561863
View attachment 561864

Thank you again, Terry. This hat turned out as close to perfect as any hat I’ve commissioned.
Wow! Nice! It looks real good on you, Brent.

Great looking hat! Once you set the flange is the felt dry-shapable like a vintage? Just wondering how they compare.

The felt is similar to some vintage felt, but not all. I can easily return the hat to open crown, but there is some spring back to the felt so steam helps it to hold a shape. It’s not the “molds like clay” type of felt. The beaver version for $125 more is more moldable and probably more what you are think of when you speak of vintage felt.

hambone71

Practically Family

View attachment 561864

I love everything about this one! That bow work is amazing. Great job on that flange, too!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The hat I see, the direction I shall go?

View attachment 562312
That's an old pic, I see, after I cleaned it. This is an updated pic. I was able to save the original block shape. Notice how straight the sides are. They're vertical! So, the direction? How about something similar to Sheb Wooley's, 'Pete Nolan' hat from "Rawhide", (only a cleaner version). You've got the color and the profile for it. A tall and straight sided teardrop crown with a curled cowboy brim. Anyway, here's an updated pic...

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_083756446.jpg
    IMG_20231120_083756446.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner