Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat sizing strips...

RJR

Here is a pic of a closed cell foam weather strip I found at Lowes.Notice it can split in half width wise if needed. Foam closed cell weather strip.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I inherited a fedora that is too large. I was thinking of buying some bicycle helmet padding to snug up the fit. It occurs to me that foam weather stripping is essentially the same. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use it inside the hat? thanks.
I use toilet paper and paper towels sometimes:)

I inherited a fedora that is too large. I was thinking of buying some bicycle helmet padding to snug up the fit. It occurs to me that foam weather stripping is essentially the same. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use it inside the hat? thanks.

Go to a sewing or craft store (such as Jo-Ann Fabric). You can find little squares of felt, usually white, that go for about 85 cents. They're about 6.5" x 6.5". You can cut strips from those; they work perfectly.

music321

New in Town
The adhesive on back of w-strip can turn to some seriously nasty goo due to oils from your forehead. Foam is worse about sweat wrinkling and compresses and doesn't take up the size difference as well. Cheapy hobby/craft felt or strips of denim have served me well for years and have had no ill effects on sweat and negligible wrinkling.

Go to a sewing or craft store (such as Jo-Ann Fabric). You can find little squares of felt, usually white, that go for about 85 cents. They're about 6.5" x 6.5". You can cut strips from those; they work perfectly.

I'd like something that won't fall out every time I remove the hat. Suitedcboy makes a good point regarding the adhesive. What's the best way to keep the pads in that doesn't involve an adhesive that turns to a tarry mess?

nidan48

New in Town
I've used the felt and paper towels, but I just got a ventilated santana straw that was too big.
I got some of that gray foam with adhesive on one side at ACE hardware, for sealing windows etc,
it is 3/16" thick. Put it around with adhesive out, so that the band wasn't touching sticky.
Fits great, very comfortable and with the hot and humid I wear it a lot. I'm will use it on other hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21