Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat story

thomasrodd

New in Town
I need to get 15 posts so I can PM.

Ok, here's a hat story, sorry no picture to go with it, although I have one somewhere that I may post when I find it.

I was working as a consumer protection lawyer for the state, and sued a direct mail genius who was make millions on illegal "you have won" mailings. He contersued me (and others). Meanwhile, I left consumer protection and went to work at a court where one of my colleagues was working on a case involving the direct mailer.

The direct mail guy's lawyer took my deposition and wanted to know if I had talked with my colleague about the direct mailer's case. I told the lawyer that I had talked talked with my colleague in connection with an article that a national magazine was running about the direct mailer. (My picture was in the article.)

"Just exactly what did you consult with your colleague about?" asked the aggressive lawyer, leaning forward in anticipation of a damning admission that I had committed a "conflict of interest."

"Well, I was concerned about the article," I said. "So my colleague and I went around and around for quite a while about an important question."

"And just what was that issue?" the lawyer demanded forcefully -- scenting blood in the water!

"Well," I said, "when the photographer came to take my picture, I was really conflicted: boater -- or fedora? I was torn, but he persuaded me to go for the fedora - an Akubra Sydney. It turned out to be a good choice, the boater looked a little frivolous."

Somehow that wasn't enough of a conflict to get me into trouble! And the photo, say my kids, was A-OK!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
What color was the akubra?

(please limit yourself to one question to which there will be one answer, we are after all, attempting to reach a target where thomasrodd can interact with Carter on a hat buy. What better cause can there be?)

thomasrodd

New in Town
the magazine was newsweek. it was a year or two after i started the court job, which was in January 1997. i have the clipping in a scrapbook somewhere, i'll look for it this weekend.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Doh! You answered 2 questions with one post.

Speaking of doh, who's your favorite Simpsons character?

Don't say that you don't watch the Simpsons; everyone watches the Simpsons.

You can either respond to the question, or disagree with the statement.

David V

A-List Customer
thomasrodd said:
the magazine was newsweek. it was a year or two after i started the court job, which was in January 1997. i have the clipping in a scrapbook somewhere, i'll look for it this weekend.

You need to answer each question as individuale posts. How do you expect to pump up your post count if you answer all in one post! :)

thomasrodd

New in Town
more on the hat story and a question for carter

i got the hat I wore in the photo probably in 1998 from david morgan, because they stock akubra sydneys in size 8/64 cm, pretty hard to find that size I've found. a very soft, comfortable, low-key hat.

my dad was in WWII with a bunch of Aussies, and wore an akubra campaign hat for years, also size 8 -- my brother got it when he passed.

carter: do you still have a stetson size 8 black fedora for sale? i'm definitely interested.

always enjoy the repartee on this site, fun to be a little part of it!

thomasrodd

New in Town
a deflated lawyer

what I took away from that deposition was the lawyer's rather notable (and delicious) deflation at my answer.

Apparently, the lawyer didn't "get" the CRUCIAL important of the fedora v. boater question. some people just don't have their priorities straight!

this, by the way, is a typical lawyer's war story, i.e., the sort of tale that causes normal people's eyes to glaze over. Trust me , I know.

Only on this site could one hope for an audience that might appreciate it!

thomasrodd

New in Town
big head truths

one learns to appreciate mucho the folks who sell size 8. Tilleys have been a staple for me when not being dressy in town. they get filthy but you can wash them in the sink.

i liked the sydney in the article photo because it evoked "eliot ness -- scambuster!" now i gotta find that picture and scan it and post it here!

thomasrodd

New in Town
more big head tales -- sydney fans?

A couple of years ago, LL Bean had a sale on "XXL" boating hats -- light, nylon, vented, great quality I got two.

They Just barely fit -- a little uncomfortable, to tell the truth. oh, the strain of the big head!

anyone else out there have an akubra sydney?

thomasrodd

New in Town
one more big head truth

well, i still can't PM, so maybe I need to do a few more posts: so, another big head truth:

Two years of weight watchers about 1999-2001) took me from 238 to 175. (I'm back "up there" today, thank you very much).

Waist size reduction was expected, of course, but I also found one day that the 7 3/4 stetson that I bought in 1982 fit again!

Giving new meaning to the term "fathead," I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot