Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stretcher.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am in need of a hat stretcher and not having any luck finding one anywhere in my area, I turned to good 'ole ebay for one.

My question to the loungers though, did I pay too much for it @ $15? That was including S&H. Also, it was new as well. I can post a picture if that'll help. Thanks in advance.

PS. I've never used one before either, are they safe to use? :rolleyes:

Regarding your P.S.: Check out old threads on stretching. Yes, many hats can be safely and effectively stretched at home, but there are hazards, so I recommend boning up before cranking up that stretcher.

Is 15 bucks too much? Doubt it. I'm assuming that for that kind of dough you got one of those Hat Jack type stretchers. That's about what they cost regular retail, I think. If you got something more substantial than that, I'd say you did well.

nulty

One of the Regulars
For 15 bucks I'm sure you did fine....

As TonyB said , some research is good if the process is new or unfamiliar. And especially if the hat is one of a kind or hass something special about it. It's best to go slow..

I just put a stretcher into a late 1940's Stetson 20 about an hour ago. It was hard won and not cheap hat so I'm taking extra care.....

As long as you aren't trying to stretch something up in size too far you are OK.
Check out the old threads and Good Luck!

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
I paid $13 for mine, plus shipping to Sweden (which ended up costing almost as much as the stretcher itself) so I don't think $15 is by any means a robbery. However, with a bit of wood, a saw, two bolts and one of those center nuts that are threaded two ways you could probably make one for the fraction of that price, so in that aspect the price may be high. But either way $15 isn't exactly a whole lot of money.

However, for me the experience ended up needing to replace a split sweatband due to partly careless stretching and partly (what I suspect at least) a low quality sweatband. It's almost like cardboard in quality under the gloss surface. Oh well, you live you learn, just take it easy. :)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I have two styles

This style I like

80ea_1.jpg

This one NOT SO MUCH

6698_1.jpg

Mike in Seattle

And from other posts, when they say you usually safely stretch your hat up one size with a stretcher, that means going from like 6-7/8 to 7. It doesn't mean taking a 6-1/2 up to a 7-1/2. Slow and easy seems to be the most important thing.

bolthead

Mike in Seattle said:
And from other posts, when they say you usually safely stretch your hat up one size with a stretcher, that means going from like 6-7/8 to 7. It doesn't mean taking a 6-1/2 up to a 7-1/2. Slow and easy seems to be the most important thing.
Thanks guys.....Mike, the one I got looks more like the one in Bud's 2nd pic I believe and it does say from 6 3/4 to a 7. the hat I got is a 6 3/4, I wear a (21) 7/8.They (hats) didn't arrive yet but I wanna stretch it to fit up 1 size.

I also have 2 fitted ballcaps that shrunk a bit & would like to stretch them a bit as well, so it will come in handy......I'll have to search for that thread that was mentioned, for sure. Thanks again.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I'll second what GentlemanFarmer said. Keep the hat, especially the sweatband, moist. Take your time stretching the hat, even if you are only going up a small amount. Let the hat stretch over night. If you rush you may deform the hat and/or tear the sweatband. Also, the hat will be more likely to shrink back to original size after a "quick" stretch, so let the hat sit on the stretcher.

As others have said, take some time to read up on stretching before it arrives. If nothing else, it will help to pass the time.

Good Luck

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
I guess I need to get one of these. Looks like they have a "size" preprinted on them? Is that a totally "closed" size? How far does it open? I'm a 7 1/4. Does that mean a 6 1/2 is too small and a 7 1/2 is too big?

Mike in Seattle

TaxMan1 said:
I guess I need to get one of these. Looks like they have a "size" preprinted on them? Is that a totally "closed" size? How far does it open? I'm a 7 1/4. Does that mean a 6 1/2 is too small and a 7 1/2 is too big?

I thought the newer ones were "one size fits all" but I see what you mean - the older one does have 6-1//2 on it. Checking one site I know that carries them, there are two - one for 7-1/8-7/12, and one for 7-1/2 and up. Here the link:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/product_p/400-359.htm

Ed13

Familiar Face
A few days ago I stretched an old 7 1/4 borsalino to 7 3/8. I used an old hat stretcher marked 6 3/4. Plenty big enough to go to over 7 1/2.

To keep the sweat from tearing I used a leather stretcher made for shoes. Worked well and I wore the hat today.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I have three . . .

Two vintage (one a 7 1/4 and one 1 7 1/2) . . . and one modern.
The vintage are far, far superior . . . they have a better form, and seem to conform more to the hat . . .

PS: Someone mentioned getting the sweat wet . . . I have found that if it is two wet, it can damage teh finish of the sweat . . .

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Ed13 said:
A few days ago I stretched an old 7 1/4 borsalino to 7 3/8. I used an old hat stretcher marked 6 3/4. Plenty big enough to go to over 7 1/2.

To keep the sweat from tearing I used a leather stretcher made for shoes. Worked well and I wore the hat today.

Thanks for the link, Mike.
If a 6 3/4 can go to a 7 1/2, then, I guess, a 6 1/2 can go to a 7 1/4?!

bolthead

Hey Guys....

That stretcher/jack arrived today & I was anxious to use it on a Milan Straw that I have that's 1 size too small....6 3/4. It's supposed to be for a 6 3/4 up to a size 7. Well let me tell you what, it barely fits in the hat. It doesn't go all the way into the sweatband, only 3/4's of the way & I had to force it in a bit too. So whomever is ordering 1 of these things might wanna keep that in mind. Maybe go 1 size smaller.

A

Ande1963

I just got THIS ONE, and I'm trying it out for the first time even as I type this.

So far, it seems good. The wood is nice and thick, and it fits the size I'll be working with well. No complaints. Plus, it comes from a fellow Kansan!

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot