Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stretcher.....

Russ

One of the Regulars
TaxMan1 said:
Thanks for the link, Mike.
If a 6 3/4 can go to a 7 1/2, then, I guess, a 6 1/2 can go to a 7 1/4?!

I may be wrong, but from looking at various photos, I suspect the 6 3/4 and 6 1/2 numbers refer to the width of the stretcher and not a hat size, since that varies with the position of the stretcher.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Ande1963 said:
I just got THIS ONE, and I'm trying it out for the first time even as I type this.

So far, it seems good. The wood is nice and thick, and it fits the size I'll be working with well. No complaints. Plus, it comes from a fellow Kansan!

Anj

How'd it work out, Ande? I've been looking to pull the trigger on one of those as there seems to be 2 a day on eBay.

A

Ande1963

My Stretcherz is 1 1/4 thick. It's not quite as sanded and finished looking as the photos the guy shows, but it's fine. You're not gonna get splinters or anything.

As for the stretching, not much yet, but I suspect that's because I'm being a little too careful. I love the hat I'm trying to stretch (a lovely Resistol 990), so I'm taking it very easy. It won't be hard to expand the stretcher quite a bit.

I've been wetting the slick side of the sweat. Should I fold it down and wet the raw side, or just keep trying like this?

Anj

A

Ande1963

Success! After wetting the back side of the sweat, applying more pressure, and letting the hat sit on the stretcher for about eight hours, I got the stretch I was after. I put it back on the stretcher just to be sure it will stay that way, but I'm very happy with it... picture soon.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats