Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Too Big; advice...

Richard

Familiar Face
Where a nice quality hat is a bit too big, is there a recognized right way to add something to the hat so that it'll fit ok? Is this considered an ok standard type thing to do or is it a desperate maneuver?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I like my hats to fit without any add ons like foam weather stripping under the sweatband. Grow more hair if you can. Some people say that wetting the sweatband and using a hair dryer to dry it carefully works in reducing the size. I left a hat in the truck cab for a full day once and it shrunk a size or two. It was mid-August in Southeastern Texas, vehicle interiors get pretty hot. It is easier to get a smaller hat bigger than to get a bigger hat smaller though. And as far a it beeing acceptable, you are the only one what needs to know, partner...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
All of BBs suggestions are considered standard practice. Especially when dealing with vintage fedora's, as you don't want to pass on one that is high quality and in excellent condition just because it's a touch large. The little bit of foam under the back of the sweatband will usually snug them up and you won't even know it's there. I found a 40s borsalino in like new condition at a Goodwill store for $4.49 and even though it wasn't my size, no way was I not going to keep it and make it fit, which I did. If it's really too big, then the best bet is to send it to a hatter who can size it down. Several are used by many members here and are considered to be top quality hatters. Graham Thompson of Optimo hats and Art Fawcett of Vintage silhouettes.

fedoralover

Canadave

One Too Many
I'd go with a temporary method, like the weatherstripping, rather than trying to shrink it. It may eventually shrink a bit by itself for some other reason. It's definitely better for a hat to be a bit big rather than a bit small.

Alternately, you could send the hat to a bigger-headed friend! ;)

David

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I use thin strips of cork that I also use to repair clarinet tenon joints. It is thinner than weather stripping and therefore not as noticeable. Since there is no adhesive, it doesn't stick to the sweatband and have a chance to ruin it. Plus, it is removable for time when your hair does grow or if your head swells when it gets hotter (like mine). I swear by the cork. I've used foam strips before, but the cork is much better in my opinion.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
?????????????????????????????????????

If you have an Ace Hardware a cork roll is $2.19. Great stuff. If its a really fine hat its off to one of the hatters Fedoralover said. :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24