Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearers: You're Just Trying to Be Don Draper. Stop It.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/don-draper-curse.php

"You can never bring back the fedora. Step away from the haberdasher. It's deadly. Millions of people have crashed and burned trying to bring back men's hats. It's not going to happen.
This is the country where airbrushing your own name on a puffy baseball hat was unironically popular for a couple years. Men's hats are not coming back."

And BTW, anybody who wears anything before it's a trend is an even more hopeless trendoid that people who wear something because it's a trend. Are we clear?

theinterchange

One Too Many
I only have one question... where was the author in that group photo? lol

facepalm.jpg

What's that person's problem anyway? Does it make any difference to them if people dress like the cast of Hamlet? [huh]

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
VitaminG said:
now that was some funny writing. :D

I didn't see any humor. Just someone who's either just trying to get a reaction or [and I think this is closer to the truth] the author is too insecure with themselves to allow anyone to be different than them and their clone mentality.

Randy

Derek WC

Banned
The author of that article is obviously not knowledgeable about the subject, and really does not understand why we dress this way. For the most part, kids (Anyone below 30) wear fedoras (Which are actually Trilbies) to be "Hip", but well at least they are wearing hats. Some loungers wear suits and hats because of the particular style, but I for one wear suits and Fedoras because they are comfortable to wear, and I am obsessed with the Golden Era.

The funniest part is that I have never heard of this show until now. lol

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What's Mad Men and who is this Don Draper?

I think of heard of the show before, but I've never actually seen it. If anything, I'm trying to be Sam Spade or Ned Beaumont. lol

2manyhats

Familiar Face
A rant...

I don't know about anyone else, but I started wearing a fedora long before the show came out. I don't wear a fedora, or dress shirts and ties because I saw them on a stupid TV show (which I have never intended on watching). I wear these things because it's who I am! I don't follow trends, I wear what I think looks good! Another big factor that plays into my wardrobe is the music I listen to and perform, Jazz and Pop, two musical cultures that deal a lot with looking good! I mean, if the average joe wants to go through the trouble of getting dressed up nice, then he can, that's what Gentleman's Quarterly says at least. And how does this guy know why people dress the way they are? Can he look into a persons mind and read "I'm dressing like a Mad Man"?
And for my closing note to this rant, Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons said, "You can never bring back the fedora." Fine with me, I don't want everyone to look like me [us]. This my [our] style, not everyone can do it!:mad:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have watched the show, only after hearing so many rave reviews here, and I am not a big fan. I also don't particularly like the style, or the hats. The former is too businessy/ I don't really like skinny ties, and the latter are too stingy for my taste.

If this article was saying that I was trying to look like Bertie Wooster, they might have a point.

Feraud

Bartender
Sour Grapes

What a silly article.
This is the type who used to tell people to stop being Indiana Jones. Don Draper is the new water cooler insult. How media saavy of the author. He must think he is the wittiest guy at the party. Probably makes fun of overweight or mentally challenged people too..
These poor media dopes are desperately recycling their one corny joke. :rolleyes:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You know, if you read this with a slightly different mindset, it's almost more a criticism of our times than it is of people like us. IN some ways, the writer may be correct. "...our world is tacky, temporary, and horrid." Thus, we are the misfits. At least for now. But I figure, if bell-bottoms can make a comeback, something far more tasteful has at least some chance.;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
What a silly article.
This is the type who used to tell people to stop being Indiana Jones. Don Draper is the new water cooler insult. How media saavy of the author. He must think he is the wittiest guy at the party. Probably makes fun of overweight or mentally challenged people too..
These poor media dopes are desperately recycling their one corny joke. :rolleyes:

That's kind of a stretch. I don't even need to know the guy to safely say I doubt he would make fun of the mentally challenged in the same way he makes light of a few in his piece. It's possible to disagree with the content or the slant of the piece and still find bits of humor in it, and more importantly not conjecture that the author would make fun of people with handicaps. That's a huge leap.

Not-Bogart13 said:
... But I figure, if bell-bottoms can make a comeback, something far more tasteful has at least some chance.;)

I kinda like bell bottoms, especially the genuine Navy-issue type.

Can't say I like all bell bottoms, but then, I don't like all fedoras, nor all homburgs, nor all derbies, nor all ... well, you get the idea.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
What's Mad Men and who is this Don Draper?

I think of heard of the show before, but I've never actually seen it. If anything, I'm trying to be Sam Spade or Ned Beaumont. lol

haha

I've never seen an episode of the show. [huh] I don't have satellite/cable, so I don't watch much up-to-the-minute television. Though, I have been mildly interested in all the fuss about Mad Men.

But, I still maintain that the author is a clueless clot who thinks they're funnier than they are. All I got was a big wall of negative and borderline meanness.

Randy

P.S I still wonder which one he is in that group picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925