Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearers: You're Just Trying to Be Don Draper. Stop It.

Edward

Bartender
Neophyte said:
Hats will come back, guys. Remember, though, that we're talking about THE FUTURE!

So, move out of the way baseball caps, fedoras, bucket hats, trilbys, beanies and all you others, make way for the energy dome:

wade-with-devo-energy-dome.jpg

Good for keeping an enitre family together on a day out (providing they're all the same height...): put 'em all in one of these, and plug 'em head-first into a giant piece of Lego... lol

Richard Warren

Practically Family
It does sometimes seem that I am trapped in a world where nothing new gets created culturally while the past gets endless mined, digested, and regurgitated.

There are intelligent, perceptive people who say intelligent, perceptive things about this condition (I do not claim to be one). On the other hand there are tools such Mr. Parsons.

Edward

Bartender
Richard Warren said:
It does sometimes seem that I am trapped in a world where nothing new gets created culturally while the past gets endless mined, digested, and regurgitated.

As the Good Book says, there ain't nothin' new under the Sun.... ;)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Hats will come back, guys. Remember, though, that we're talking about THE FUTURE!

So, move out of the way baseball caps, fedoras, bucket hats, trilbys, beanies and all you others, make way for the energy dome:

wade-with-devo-energy-dome.jpg

Whip it, whip it good. That Devo hat is from the 80's. that is a vintage piece of plastic.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Coincidentally, Devo are performing tomorrow night in Chicago in a 1920's Movie Palace, the Congress Theater. Almost worth it just to look at the building interior.

Fedoration

New in Town
I am a man. And depending on whom you ask I am a bit mad, so I guess I am already a mad man. So what if I like Fedora's? Fortunately style and fashion aren't the same thing.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If I'm going to be someone from the show, I'll shoot for Sterling. However, my vibe is far more All in the Family than Mad Men.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Fedoration said:
I am a man. And depending on whom you ask I am a bit mad, so I guess I am already a mad man. So what if I like Fedora's? Fortunately style and fashion aren't the same thing.

I am a man, and I can change. If I have to.

I guess.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Fletch said:
A yuppie douchebag, altho such a term was unknown in 1964.

Was there an equivalent epithet then? Or were such people pretty much revered as sophisticates and tastemakers?

The things I've heard/read about Don Draper, I'd say you summed it up pretty well. Why anyone would want to be like him is beyond me.

Randy

Mario

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
The things I've heard/read about Don Draper, I'd say you summed it up pretty well. Why anyone would want to be like him is beyond me.

Randy

Perhaps this can tell us something about the author of that rant...

It's strange: back in the 1960's, politically aware university professors were made pop stars (at least in Germany and France). Today it's stock brokers, business men and managers that are turned into big stars. [huh]

The show has, to my knowledge, never been shown on Germany free TV, so I've never watched it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
A yuppie douchebag, altho such a term was unknown in 1964.
Was there an equivalent epithet then? Or were such people pretty much revered as sophisticates and tastemakers?

To echo theinterchange, I'm not sure why anyone would want to emulate someone like that. And I don't think people are so stupid that they couldn't see a character that acts like an ass is, afterall, just an ass. [huh]

I guess some folks just want to be dressed well and have enough money to support their burgeoning drinking/womanizing habits. Perhaps that is the "new wave" of suit-dressing men? :eek:

God, I hope not.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Undertow said:
To echo theinterchange, I'm not sure why anyone would want to emulate someone like that. And I don't think people are so stupid that they couldn't see a character that acts like an ass is, afterall, just an ass. [huh]

I guess some folks just want to be dressed well and have enough money to support their burgeoning drinking/womanizing habits. Perhaps that is the "new wave" of suit-dressing men? :eek:

God, I hope not.

True but why do people admire/want to emulate James Bond? He is a drinking, womanising misogynist too, who is only out for himself. And he kills people. Sometimes they possibly deserve it, sometimes not.

I think that it is possible to admire aspects of a character whilst disapproving of others. That's why we have anti-heros and that is why good fiction is complex and interesting and not just black and white.

However I've seen a few episodes of Mad Men and haven't seen that many hats in it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925