Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

fedoracentric

Banned
I was wondering if anyone could date this hat box? I am curious if the box is from the same time period as the hat

il_570xN.403701973_iz3v.jpg

I think these are 50s boxes. They came in red and a darkish orange, too.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Saw a vintage Stratoliner box at an antique mall, but it was smaller than the other hat boxes in the shop--it was long and oval, and a good 2 inches shorter on either side than a typical hat box. Per paths it would have held a really, really small hat, perhaps a child's size. Anyone know what I was looking at?

A

John Galt

Vendor
Quite similar - I've been following the discussion in another thread. I am convinced the boxes at least were made by the same maker.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

fedoracentric

Banned
Saw a vintage Stratoliner box at an antique mall, but it was smaller than the other hat boxes in the shop--it was long and oval, and a good 2 inches shorter on either side than a typical hat box. Per paths it would have held a really, really small hat, perhaps a child's size. Anyone know what I was looking at?

A

No, it wasn't for a "child's size" hat. It was for the normal, regular, adult's Stratoliner.

There was a piece of paper included in the original Strat boxes that explained that the narrow box forced the hat to be stored with the brim curled inward on the sides and this was supposed to keep the snap to the brim in perfect shape. That was Stetson's claim, anyway. It was the same box every strat came in during the 40s and 50s.

fedoracentric

Banned
You are very welcome. It is a very weird box, for sure. And, from what I can tell, getting hold of an original of one of those little instruction papers is really hard to do. They are rarer than the hats or the boxes by far.

John Galt

Vendor
Another rollable. This is a Tesiro parabuntal from the Philippines. Very fine weave. Someday I'll block it.

8y9e3yde.jpg

muvategy.jpg

2ude4apa.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

On top of Fedoralover's fine explanation I would like to add, that the main difference between The Open Road and The Stratoliner was the brim and the marketing.

The OR was advertised as a classic, stylish fedora in a Western/Southern look - but also wearable for the classic city-gent. The Stratoliner was advertised as the hat for the modern, smart, young and self-conscious man - "of course" flying from destination to destination.

The OR's brim was a little wider than the Strat's 2-1/2", and was flanged with a pretty flat curl, that worked great both snapped and of-the-face. The Strat had a more rolled flange, which at the time seems to have been perceived as more "casual". The small box helped maintaining the high/deep roll of the brim.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
On top of Fedoralover's fine explanation I would like to add, that the main difference between The Open Road and The Stratoliner was the brim and the marketing.

The OR was advertised as a classic, stylish fedora in a Western/Southern look - but also wearable for the classic city-gent. The Stratoliner was advertised as the hat for the modern, smart, young and self-conscious man - "of course" flying from destination to destination.

The OR's brim was a little wider than the Strat's 2-1/2", and was flanged with a pretty flat curl, that worked great both snapped and of-the-face. The Strat had a more rolled flange, which at the time seems to have been perceived as more "casual". The small box helped maintaining the high/deep roll of the brim.
Here is an example of the strat box with original instructions

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the info. I have the box now; wonder what my odds are for ever finding an insert--or a reasonably-priced strat in 7 3/8. I should probably just wish for a unicorn, too. ;)

A

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I should probably just wish for a unicorn, too. ;)

A unicorn ...?!??!! Aaron, you silly you! Unicorns are not something you wish for! You constantly have to smash those stinging critters on your quest for a Stratoliner! lol

I know, that the price curve is steep at this point, and you use one size larger than I, but I have found a couple on eBay at a reasonable price. The latest was a "project-hat", I got at $65. I expected it to be really nasty, but it turned out not so bad after all. It needed a rather light cleaning and a blocking/flanging plus the sweatband replacement, I knew from the listing was a must. Great hat!

From time to time I see a wearable in my size go at $120-$200. In your size, it'll probably be even more. If your limit is higher, they are not that rare.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Right?! How many times have I had to push a unicorn out of the way while looking through hats in second-hand shops? Unicorns are just PESTS! :)

I'll have to save and watch, I think. Patience; all things in their time.

A

fedoracentric

Banned
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the info. I have the box now; wonder what my odds are for ever finding an insert--or a reasonably-priced strat in 7 3/8. I should probably just wish for a unicorn, too. ;)

A

Been looking for hats on ebay for 10 years, now, and I've seen exactly three of those little slips of Stratoliner instructions paper during that whole time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner