Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Where do you manage to find all of these beautiful hat boxes? I have only got this generic one which I guess is from '33 based on the numbers (28/9-33) in the bottom.

This is originally meant to be a box for a top hat but the second hand store from which I bought this had already sold the topper earlier and doomed the two to eternal separation (I guess the buyer and/or the store missed the fact that those two belong together). As now it will be storage to a new hat, my homburg! All's well that ends well. :)

HatBox.jpg

mattface

Practically Family
Old hat boxes

I happened upon a cache of old hat boxes at a thrift shop today for $10 each. Unfortunately none of the hats were there. :(There were 3 Stetson boxes, one brooks brothers, and on other hatter I didn't recognize. I took the nicest of the bunch which was a Stetson box with a leather strap. Not a super bargain, but nifty, and now I have a home for one of my hats.

Stetson Hat Box by mattface, on Flickr

HatsEnough

Banned
$10 isn't bad at all. I am a sucker for the old boxes. Just got this one a few days ago...
knox20andhatbox01.jpg

knox20andhatbox02.jpg

knox20andhatbox03.jpg

knox20andhatbox04.jpg

I am keeping my Knox Twenty in it, though the box is older than the hat, I think.

mattface

Practically Family
$10 isn't bad at all. I am a sucker for the old boxes. Just got this one a few days ago...
knox20andhatbox01.jpg

knox20andhatbox02.jpg

knox20andhatbox03.jpg

knox20andhatbox04.jpg

I am keeping my Knox Twenty in it, though the box is older than the hat, I think.

Oh that is a really sweet box, way cooler than the one i found today. I still like mine, but that one is just fabulous. I've no idea what time frame mine is from. I think the leather strap probably makes it old(ish), but the interior is not nearly as nifty.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hatsenough,

That box looks like a box for a top hat. It's shape is the same general shape of many top hat boxes I've seen on eBay, many of them leather or other materials.

Cheers,
Tom

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
If anyone is in Oklahoma, there's an antique store with boxes from dobbs, knox, and stetson. Last time I went there were about 4 of the dobbs, and only one from the other two. Right next to S. K. McCall.

Annixter

Practically Family
While my two hatboxes are quite plain in comparison to some of the beauties represented here, they are hatboxes nonetheless.

Resistol in which a c. 1950 Homburg arrived. Not sure of the hatbox's age:
d6426b88.jpg

My 1930's Homburg arrived in this Hamilton & Co. Inc., although I cannot say whether it is original to the hat.
a35ce46f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy