Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on order

Donlope

New in Town
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am happy to say that I have just ordered a homburg from Leon Drexler and should receive in October. I have also just placed a down payment with Vintage Silhouettes and plan on getting a fedora in blue smoke. I plan wearing daily with my suits to work. I love the 1920s but am unsure the brim size, crown size, and style of ribbon. Any thoughts and ideas?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am happy to say that I have just ordered a homburg from Leon Drexler and should receive in October. I have also just placed a down payment with Vintage Silhouettes and plan on getting a fedora in blue smoke. I plan wearing daily with my suits to work. I love the 1920s but am unsure the brim size, crown size, and style of ribbon. Any thoughts and ideas?

You might start here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/early-stetson-models-ads-pre-depression.49068/

There are some other threads covering Pre-war and depression-era hat styles, as well.

Pre-1940s Stetson Dress Hats is one.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge. You sure picked two very competent hatters - I'm absolutely sure, you won't regret :)

As to the hat style(s) of the 20s ... they were all over the place! During the first two decades of the 1900s, soft felt hats came in all kinds of different shapes and styles. Even into the 30s, brims came in many different widths - probably settling around 2" - 2-3/8". Here's a thread on the subject: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1920s-early-30s-fedoras.82334/

Hello,

I am in the queue for a Drexler, hopefully late September. I am going with a Lord's hat in Natural. Also about to place an order with Art at VS Hats, just have to decide on style. I would love to hear your perspective on comparisons between the two well respected hatters. The tough part is the waiting!

Donlope

New in Town
Belfastboy,

My dealings have been great with both. I have had more contact with Leon Drexler and we actually spent a lot of time on the phone discussing my homburg. I am going with a glacé color with silk lining. I was impressed.

My dealings with Vintage Silhouettes was very short but Art treated me professionally. He has mailed me samples and upon receipt I will call him to discuss details. All in all he appears to be a professional nice person. His turn around time is shorter and is running now around 6 weeks. I'm not sure if Art has the same options available (choice lining, personalized sweatband) but I have heard great things so I am looking forward to get the ball rolling. I agree, worse part is the waiting. : )

Belfastboy,

My dealings have been great with both. I have had more contact with Leon Drexler and we actually spent a lot of time on the phone discussing my homburg. I am going with a glacé color with silk lining. I was impressed.

My dealings with Vintage Silhouettes was very short but Art treated me professionally. He has mailed me samples and upon receipt I will call him to discuss details. All in all he appears to be a professional nice person. His turn around time is shorter and is running now around 6 weeks. I'm not sure if Art has the same options available (choice lining, personalized sweatband) but I have heard great things so I am looking forward to get the ball rolling. I agree, worse part is the waiting. : )
Do you know which felts Steven uses at Drexler? Are they Winchester as well? His colour swatches match up pretty well with the Winchester swatches just different names for the various colours. I chose Drexler as I love his work with the Homburg variations and also to take a risk to find out if the quality is that much different from my much lower costing Gannon's and NW Hat productions. Both great hatters and professional at about half the price.

-30-

A-List Customer
Just 'mail or 'phone Stephen and ask about the felt manufacturer; I don't really recall, but I believe it is Winchester.
As to the Fit/Finish, it certainly blows an un-named Italian manufacturer Out of The Water.

BTW, the hat I am wearing, see pic, is the fedora Stephan made for me four years ago.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

RJR

Hello,

You won't be disappointed if you ask Art for his thoughts/suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy